Nura - a headphone that adapts to your "unique hearing signature"???

Russell Dawkins

I wonder if it detects the acoustics of your ear canal and, if not, what they are talking about at 1:15 in the promotional video.
 It's on kickstarter. http://tinyurl.com/htkn3mh
I was very skeptical, but after perusing the information I'm more interested. Don't like the idea of the in-ear/over the ear configuration, though.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Nura - a profoundly novel idea in headphones
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2016, 06:11 am »
Dont know if this hp is a solution, but the prob is this:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Very interesting technology, but I wonder if it results in better sound.  So it corrects to flat frequency response in your ear, what if we don't like flat frequency response?  As Dale mentioned, we hear normally what we perceive as natural, accurate sound in everyday environments.  I have doubts about altering this, but like Russell, I'm still interested in the developing technology.

dwk

This does seem interesting, but on a quick read they seem to be focusing on inner ear correction. At first blush, I tend to agree that it's not obvious that this is something you want to correct since it's always 'in the loop'.  Correcting for the outer ear response and the 'incorrect' transfer function from headphones due to injecting sound from the side rather than the front is what the Smyth Realizer does, and everything I've heard about that system indicates that it works remarkably well.  Since it seems that their mic is integrated into the headphone (presumably the ear bud), it's not clear how they can accomplish outer-ear correction.

I'll be interesting to watch, though.

Russell Dawkins

A friend, a retired vestibular physiologist, had this reaction when I sent him the link to the Nura site:

"I'm skeptical, too. The reflected wave will contain two components: The dominant one will be a function of the shape of the ear canal and eardrum. However, every person's nervous system will adapt to idiosyncrasies there as the person grows. One's perception of sound is very personal and it changes with attention.

The second component is reflexive. There is a muscle in the ear called the tensor tympani that tightens the eardrum according to the sound pressure level. It is designed to protect the hearing from loud-sound damage. The reflex is very quick (a millisecond or so) and it causes the eardrum to act as a drum head and emit its own sound wave. This will mix with the reflected wave during the measurement they describe. This is a by-product of its real purpose, which is to reduce the overall excursion of the eardrum so that the tiny bones of the middle ear are not damaged.

Tweaking the filter profile with that information will produce an experience that sounds different from the "untweaked" version and some will consider this to be better. However, in our society, the biggest problem is damage to the hearing transducers in the cochlea, usually the result of excessive noise. The human cochlea has about 20k individual transducers arranged along a membrane. Incoming sounds set up a complex motion along the membrane that causes the cilia or hairs to move and thereby stimulate the production of neural pulses. The interference pattern along that membrane and thus the pattern of neural stimulation is perceived as different notes and amplitudes. A single note of 90 dB for two hours is enough to destroy those hairs, rendering it impossible to hear that note again. This type of damage is cumulative. That is why our hearing generally degrades with age. [The Mabaan people of Africa live in the jungle, but do not have any instruments that produce loud sounds. Tests have revealed that they generally live well into their 80s and that their hearing remains as acute as that of a youngster over their entire lives.]

The ear tests that these earphones purport to conduct will only sense the reflected and reflexive waves, but have no way of tracking the nerve damage. The latter requires that the subject indicate when they actually hear the test tone, a procedure known as von Bekesy audiometry. Unless the user of these earphones can be in a sound-proof room and have a button to press during the testing procedure, I do not see how correction for nerve damage can be accomplished. The hearing profile is much more distorted from nerve damage that it is from ear canal resonances and so while it sounds like the holy grail of earphones, I don't believe that there is an actual improvement in fidelity."

weatherman1

Another attempt to produce a headphone that to some degree will produce a sonically neutral response curve (flat) for the individual wearers ears.  If the design also acts well in noise cancellation then this becomes a plus for some people.  If they are comfortable, do not require charging or batteries, another good design.  If they can do all that for under, lets say $500, it is a great concept and about 1/3 of the cost of the AKG N90Q that claims to sonically correct for the users ears.  I don't think anyone is making a headphone claim that the product will correct for hearing nerve damage.  It is also very possible that your brain prefers a less than neutral sounding experience.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Nura - a profoundly novel idea in headphones
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2016, 10:33 am »
I completely disagree.  If you're hearing live music and like the *natural* sound, then if you hear an accurate reproduction at home, it will sound natural also, which is what the gear was designed to do.
The drawer show that all people listen in a non flat way, so where the audiophiole is listening dont apply, since his ears are the same and continue to be non linear devices.