What comes next for me, after Senn. HD600?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: What comes next for me, after Senn. HD600?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Apr 2016, 07:01 pm »
You think planars are better than dynamics. That's your opinion; fine. But that's all it is; an opinion, not necessarily a Fact. (In fact, I would say that the headphone I would rank as "the best I have ever heard" is a planar- the Stax SR-009 electrostatic.) My opinion, however, doesn't make it so. I only had an issue with the blanket assertion that "theres no reason to buy dynamics anymore".

Sennheiser is a much larger company than Audeze, with much deeper pockets, and in my opinion could easily compete against, say, the Audeze LCD series if they chose to.
You think planars are better than dynamics. That's your opinion; fine. But that's all it is; an opinion, not necessarily a Fact.
Correct, Iam not imposing my opinion.
Sennheiser is a much larger company than Audeze, with much deeper pockets, and in my opinion could easily compete against, say, the Audeze LCD series if they chose to.
I believe Sennheiser can sell a planar at Audeze price level($2-3Kusd) I would be surprised, but Senn can do it.
What Senn never will do is sell a good planar at HifiMan prices=$400 because of its stubborn Germanic policy of high profits.
Meanwhile the German competitors like AKG 701 list price $559, now are selling only $218.94 & FREE Shipping at Amazon.
Please note, Amazon is not having loss with this price, companies like HifiMan are the only way to low budget audiophiles like me.

JohnR

« Reply #21 on: 19 Apr 2016, 07:06 pm »
In principle I agree with dB Cooper, but OTOH I own two pairs of planar headphones (and 0 dynamic)... if only I could make them breed and have the best of both of them I think (hah!) I'd be happy...

dB Cooper

« Reply #22 on: 19 Apr 2016, 09:43 pm »
Actually, these days my HD650's are on the hanger a lot and I'm listening to my SE535 BA IEM's... More than one way to skin a cat. Some of the tightest, most detailed bass I've ever heard from a headphone. Might just be a phase, but who knows.

I'm open to planars and am keeping an eye on the market. Some day maybe.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #23 on: 19 Apr 2016, 09:48 pm »
I have both planar and dynamic phones (HD 400i, Grado RS2i, and Beyer T 90) and switch all the time between planar and dynamic.  Right now I'm on a planar kick, which supplanted a jag with the dynamic phones.  You can't beat having choices which is my recommendation, keep the HD 600's and buy some planars.

milford3

« Reply #24 on: 20 Apr 2016, 12:07 am »
I have both planar and dynamic phones (HD 400i, Grado RS2i, and Beyer T 90) and switch all the time between planar and dynamic.  Right now I'm on a planar kick, which supplanted a jag with the dynamic phones.  You can't beat having choices which is my recommendation, keep the HD 600's and buy some planars.

+1 with the planar choice.  I have the Audeze LCD 2's and have never looked back.

JohnR

« Reply #25 on: 20 Apr 2016, 12:42 pm »
+1 with the planar choice.  I have the Audeze LCD 2's and have never looked back.

What version? (if you don't mind my asking :) )

milford3

« Reply #26 on: 20 Apr 2016, 12:57 pm »
Bambo with moon audio blue cable upgrade.

JohnR

« Reply #27 on: 20 Apr 2016, 01:01 pm »
Fazor? Not? Just wondering :)

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #29 on: 23 Apr 2016, 07:14 pm »
Now im looking to try the he400i.  I HATE YOU GUYS  :D  feeding and enabling my gadget addiction!

Seriously im looking used and know they went through at least one unmarked revision - changing the connectors from coax to plug.  Anything else to look for?  Prices are all overfrom sub $250 to over $350.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #30 on: 23 Apr 2016, 07:26 pm »
Now im looking to try the he400i.  I HATE YOU GUYS  :D  feeding and enabling my gadget addiction!

Seriously im looking used and know they went through at least one unmarked revision - changing the connectors from coax to plug.  Anything else to look for?  Prices are all overfrom sub $250 to over $350.
If wish an used(90 hours) HE400(original model) send me a PM.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #31 on: 23 Apr 2016, 08:37 pm »
Beyer T1's are like the HD600's on steroids with a massive improvement in detail while still keeping a very nice tonal balance and much, much better soundstage.  I've tried a bunch of planars, but nothing has toppled the T1's from my top spot.  But then again, I'm a tube lover, and the T1's have the type of sound that I love.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 23 Apr 2016, 10:17 pm »
Beyer T1's are like the HD600's on steroids with a massive improvement in detail while still keeping a very nice tonal balance and much, much better soundstage.  I've tried a bunch of planars, but nothing has toppled the T1's from my top spot.  But then again, I'm a tube lover, and the T1's have the type of sound that I love.
Do you are referring to the T1 1ºGen or 2ºGen?

Tyson

« Reply #33 on: 23 Apr 2016, 11:59 pm »
I have 1st gen, I have not heard the 2nd gen. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 24 Apr 2016, 12:03 am »
Both are w/some discount now.

Odal3

« Reply #35 on: 24 Apr 2016, 03:37 am »
I'm  not a headphone person (yet) but this thread and my friend who has a bunch of headphones inspired me to spend some time in the headphone room at the recent Axpona. I think I'm sold. Need to try some more to figure out exactly what type I prefer

I asked the lady in the hifiman booth to step me through their line from the cheapest to the most expensive so I could compare them. For my untrained headphone ears it was the 400i where it started to sound really good, the 560 very good and the 1000 was something really special (but unfortunately way too pricey for me)

I also tried some of the sennheiser. Think it was the 800 or the s version and one step down. While very detailed it was a bit bright for my taste
The mr speakers ether was also very nice so was the latest Audeeze

All in all,  I feel like I have now royally screwed up and got my ears to to like headphones way over my budget.  :cry:

How does the Beyer T1 compare to these?

Also, open backs - would that be a no no to use at work (open office layout)?  worried it would disturb others plus let to much noise from the office through

Tyson

« Reply #36 on: 24 Apr 2016, 03:48 am »
Sennheiser 800 is like a great SS amp.  Beyer T1 is like a great tube amp.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 24 Apr 2016, 03:52 am »
and the 1000 was something really special
How big was the HE1000 soundstage?

Odal3

« Reply #38 on: 24 Apr 2016, 02:56 pm »
I'm probably not the best person to answer that since I only listened to them briefly and my focus was more to try to figure out what type of headphones I like vs the individual attributes.
Take a look here instead for a long writeup (post #108): http://www.head-fi.org/t/767883/official-hifiman-he1000-impressions-thread/105
"The HE-1000 has great focusing ability and very wide imaging projection, and truly provides a very detailed impression of the ambience of the studio/concert hall where the music was recorded. Sense of spaciousness is quite sublime. Do note that due to the strength of the HE-1000’s sub-bass presence causing a subtly warm underlying tonality, it may appear to be difficult to image certain notes as accurately as a brighter pair of headphones that lack the HE-1000's sub-bass resolution. The imaging and soundstage is still definitely one of the HE-1000's greatest strengths here."

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 24 Apr 2016, 04:41 pm »
I'm probably not the best person to answer that since I only listened to them briefly and my focus was more to try to figure out what type of headphones I like vs the individual attributes.
Take a look here instead for a long writeup (post #108): http://www.head-fi.org/t/767883/official-hifiman-he1000-impressions-thread/105
"The HE-1000 has great focusing ability and very wide imaging projection, and truly provides a very detailed impression of the ambience of the studio/concert hall where the music was recorded. Sense of spaciousness is quite sublime. Do note that due to the strength of the HE-1000’s sub-bass presence causing a subtly warm underlying tonality, it may appear to be difficult to image certain notes as accurately as a brighter pair of headphones that lack the HE-1000's sub-bass resolution. The imaging and soundstage is still definitely one of the HE-1000's greatest strengths here."
Thanks Odal :thumb: