Audio Technica ATH M50X Replacements

adydula

• Restricted
Audio Technica ATH M50X Replacements
« on: 10 Mar 2016, 01:00 pm »
My trusty old low dollar pretty good everyday listen to almost anything set of headphones that I tried to sell many times but failed are getting really worn out and my grandkids wear them, the dog chews on them, the cat xxxx on them (lol)...so I and looking to replace them!!

After many sets of headphones from $1K + to the M50's I sold all of them except my T90's for serious listening and kept the M50's for pc stuff and gaming...so.

Audio Technica came out with a MSR7 version. They are approx $250. But made it on Tyels wall of fame:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/incisive-audio-technica-ath-msr7#tibSwyshw1stAd3w.97

Has anyone heard them at all?

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
Re: Audio Technica ATH M50X Replacements
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2016, 11:26 pm »
Well I guess no one has heard of these?

I have a set on order should be here this coming monday...I will post my impressions.

Alex

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2016, 11:39 pm »
Well I guess no one has heard of these?

I have a set on order should be here this coming monday...I will post my impressions.

Alex

Hi Alex,
I was looking on the web at some reviews of all the versions of the ATH MxxX
The ATH M40X was in my price range,
but I will sure read your impressions on the model M50X which is
one notch higher, better and more expensive.

Guy 13

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2016, 11:57 pm »
From the review it seems that if you like the Beyer T90's, you'd like the MSR7 as well.  My T90's are my favorite phone and they have a pretty incisive top end.  Which is not what I'd tell you I like, I'd tell you I like the sweeter tone of my planar phones, but I'm always picking up the Beyers, go figure.  An expansive soundstage, or headstage, is also high on my list as well as good, tight bass.  Might be a good airplane phone for me.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2016, 08:11 pm »
Funny I did the same thing with my Audeze LCD's always kept going back the T90's....
I think these ms7r's will be pretty nice in this price range. The 50's are nice but the bass is too boomy for me.

Hey Guy....nice to see you again..I go these for $195. They have been as low as 185....not bad for really good cans...

Alex

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2016, 11:05 pm »
Funny I did the same thing with my Audeze LCD's always kept going back the T90's....
I think these ms7r's will be pretty nice in this price range. The 50's are nice but the bass is too boomy for me.

Hey Guy....nice to see you again..I go these for $195. They have been as low as 185....not bad for really good cans...

Alex

Hi Alex.
I read in a review that the M40 are much more neutral than the M50
and also less expensive than the M50.

Guy 13

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2016, 01:33 am »
Hey Guy,

I never even gave the 40's a thought, your the first person to make me aware that they even existed!! Ha!! Thanks!

I got the MSR7's today and have spent several hours listening across many amps I have built and have....so far so good..

I will write up a more detailed explanation on how these are working out for me in a few days...

So little time, so much to do!!

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2016, 01:50 am »
Well I have had a few days listening to these headphones and they are resoundingly excellent.

In this price range they really set the bar for a good all around, accurate, articulate and musical experience.

They are very well made, no squeaks, rattles of strange mechanical noises. Very well built.
Compared to other headphones they are small in stature, but are "portable" cans by design.

They made Tyl's wall of fame for this price range and I had to try them...especially for price...less than $200!

They fit very well on my big head and fairly big ears....They look small but they work well, I didnt have any issues wearing them for
a few hours, they are comfortable to me. The pads are very, very soft an exude high quality..they are filled with memory foam and do not leak much sound at all if any. My wife will tell me if any of my cans leak!! LOL.....She said these passed the wife acceptance test!!

The sound is very well balanced and controlled. No where like the smaller sibling ATH M50's is there any boomy bass...the bass is well delivered, tight, resounding and very accurate...listening to a bass violin of Brian Brommberg's Wood CD is totally awesome...very like.

Some have said the treble is hot and not to their liking, to me its very much like my T90's not as airy but still very acceptable.

I spent a lot of time listening to my old Beatles Remastered stuff and its amazing how well this old tired stuff sounds on these cans,

I also had no issue playing these 32 ohm cans on a wide variety of headphone amps and even a new HP 360 spectre laptop directly from its internal dac/amp.

There is good depth and soundstage....amazing really for such a small physical size of the transducers and being closed back.

If your looking for an exceptional set of headphones for $200 these I highly recommend.

The only minor issue is that I wish the soundstage was wider, but for the size its almost impossible to improve...they are not as good as my T90's but really close.....

I would buy them again and I dont think I will be selling these, they are that nice...

Alex