« Reply #2220 on: 2 Sep 2017, 04:08 pm »
Hi Chris
Noticed on updating to
S2.35 2017-09-01
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.21 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486
BDP-2

I am getting a "Bryston bb disk full error" and asking me to create a scratch disk 
Have done a couple of reboots and tried the update again.
Player works OK
Regards
David

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #2221 on: 2 Sep 2017, 04:39 pm »
Rebooting or redoing the update likely isn't going to make it go away, either there is a bug with the new code or your userspace is full or nearly full.  You can either place the bdp into service mode for us to check or go into media player settings.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2222 on: 2 Sep 2017, 04:44 pm »
Hi

I have 60,000 songs in my attached music on my BDP-3 and looks like I am only using 19% of the user-space.

james

OTM

« Reply #2223 on: 2 Sep 2017, 05:12 pm »
Bryston.db.data is only 929 mb of 5.30gb
4,900 files

David

OTM

« Reply #2224 on: 2 Sep 2017, 05:15 pm »
Service ID 58
Thanks
David

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2225 on: 2 Sep 2017, 05:26 pm »
It is in fact full, you'll  notice difficulties scraping new data, adding new music (library won't update properly) and or rebuilding the database.  You may want to just clear the cache media player, we made some changes to scrape less data related to missing albums.  Or just set a scratch drive

OTM

« Reply #2226 on: 2 Sep 2017, 05:40 pm »
Cleared cache and reset db -- everything OK

Thanks
David

Krutsch

« Reply #2227 on: 4 Sep 2017, 09:06 pm »
Default sorting in Artists View.

In general, I like the option of seeing albums within a selected artists sorted by year, but I have a lot of albums that are compilations. As such, the individual songs are date tagged with the release year for that song.

See the attached image. I have a number of albums that display like this, with track indexes sorted by date and albums broken apart within the artist view.

I think you may want to consider an option to sort by album name or release year.

Marius

« Reply #2228 on: 6 Sep 2017, 07:59 am »
Hi Chris,

Not sure if this is covered before (probably), pardon me if it is.

Since BDA-3 de-embeds the HDMI hi-res audio out off bd audio and sacd's, I was wondering if hooking up a BD player to the BDP would allow us to rip the same audio content of these discs in MM or the soon to be released NN. Of course we now only have a USB connection, which probably is another story, but aren't you considering a HDMI connection for the next iteration of the BDP maybe..?

Would be wonderful if buying the BD audio of a recording could provide us with the digital files in one go. Saving the original bitstream of the DSD files straight from the source.
As it stands now, we have to buy both the 24 bit digital files and the BD/SACD of the same album(s).. While both containing the same source, we're only paying double for the carrier...

If not an option on the BDP, maybe a digital out somehow on the BDAx would allow us to safe that?

Cheers,
Marius

« Last Edit: 6 Sep 2017, 01:37 pm by Marius »

Krutsch

« Reply #2229 on: 6 Sep 2017, 03:48 pm »
Since BDA-3 de-embeds the HDMI hi-res audio out off bd audio and sacd's, I was wondering if hooking up a BD player to the BDP would allow us to rip the same audio content of these discs in MM or the soon to be released NN.

It is illegal in the US to do this, technical issues aside. Technically, it is very possible and I've done this with my collection of DVDs, DVD-Audio and Blu-ray discs.

You need a PC or Mac and some software tools for ripping and converting. Google: MakeMKV

Marius

« Reply #2230 on: 6 Sep 2017, 05:51 pm »
It is illegal in the US to do this, technical issues aside. Technically, it is very possible and I've done this with my collection of DVDs, DVD-Audio and Blu-ray discs.

You need a PC or Mac and some software tools for ripping and converting. Google: MakeMKV

Thanks Ken,

I've played with MakeMKV before but didn't get the hang of it, especially entering all tracks etc seemed too much trouble back then.
Isn't it illegal then to de-embed the DSD bitstream from the HDMI signal? I cant imagine doing so (de-embedding) and inputting it into a Dac isn't, while doing so and saving it to a file isn't :scratch: :scratch: 

btw did you do that on a Mac, with a separate bluray reader? Or PC. At the time of my experimenting JRMC wasn't on a Mac yet, so I didn't check it out. Apparently they can Rip BD audio as well  and are on MAC https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Blu-ray . Might be worth the extra look. Still, if JR is allowed to Rip, why wouldn't Brystons MM or NN?

Cheers,
Marius

gbaby

« Reply #2231 on: 6 Sep 2017, 06:56 pm »
Why is it that my BDP-2 shows only Manic Moose software version 2.34? There is no 2.35.  :o

Krutsch

« Reply #2232 on: 6 Sep 2017, 10:11 pm »

I've played with MakeMKV before but didn't get the hang of it, especially entering all tracks etc seemed too much trouble back then.
Isn't it illegal then to de-embed the DSD bitstream from the HDMI signal? I cant imagine doing so (de-embedding) and inputting it into a Dac isn't, while doing so and saving it to a file isn't :scratch: :scratch: 

btw did you do that on a Mac, with a separate bluray reader? Or PC. At the time of my experimenting JRMC wasn't on a Mac yet, so I didn't check it out. Apparently they can Rip BD audio as well  and are on MAC https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Blu-ray . Might be worth the extra look. Still, if JR is allowed to Rip, why wouldn't Brystons MM or NN?

It's possible that not all BD audio is protected, but what I've seen sure is: protected with AACS. I can't imagine how JRiver is legally ripping BD content.

Use MakeMKV to strip off the AACS encryption and then use DVD Audio Extractor to transcode the BD image into separate FLAC files. Yes, you have to manually fill in the meta data.

Is HDMI de-embedding illegal? The box I have relies on a connected TV downstream to provide the necessary HDCP handshake so the source player will send the data. The Bryston BDA likely has licensed this on their own, thus eliminating the need for a connected TV (albeit at some cost to Bryston).

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #2233 on: 7 Sep 2017, 03:26 am »
It depends on the country, in Canada we are legally allowed to make unencrypted backups of the movies, music and other mediums we buy for our own use.  If a piece of software was able to rip an encrypted bluray it's not illegal in Canada so long as its being used as outlined by our laws.  This law may have changed, it's been many years since I last payed any attention to it.

Marius

« Reply #2234 on: 7 Sep 2017, 05:57 am »
It depends on the country, in Canada we are legally allowed to make unencrypted backups of the movies, music and other mediums we buy for our own use.  If a piece of software was able to rip an encrypted bluray it's not illegal in Canada so long as its being used as outlined by our laws.  This law may have changed, it's been many years since I last payed any attention to it.

I believe its the same here in the Netherlands, though there's been some discussion ;)

That takes away any reason for Bryston not to enable us to do that in MM (and NN) then ?

Cheers,
Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #2235 on: 7 Sep 2017, 12:57 pm »

I believe its the same here in the Netherlands, though there's been some discussion ;)

That takes away any reason for Bryston not to enable us to do that in MM (and NN) then ?

Cheers,
Marius

Canada and The Netherlands are stand-outs on this topic. You can read here what the laws are, per country:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripping

The much bigger problem is AACS versioning. AACS creates new encryption keys very frequently, so if this was built into Manic Moose to work with the BOT, Bryston would have to release new versions almost monthly. AACS is up to version 63.

gbaby

« Reply #2236 on: 7 Sep 2017, 08:12 pm »
Why is it that my BDP-2 shows only Manic Moose software version 2.34? There is no 2.35.  :o

Anyone. Unincognito?

zoom25

« Reply #2237 on: 7 Sep 2017, 08:36 pm »
Anyone. Unincognito?

Same. Shows 2.34 on BDP-1. Also, "no internet connection" when it should clearly be connected.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2238 on: 7 Sep 2017, 09:27 pm »
Same. Shows 2.34 on BDP-1. Also, "no internet connection" when it should clearly be connected.

Hi

Yes the no internet is corrected in 35. 

35 is a beta currently so you have to download the beta version to play with it.

james

zoom25

« Reply #2239 on: 7 Sep 2017, 09:55 pm »
Hi

Yes the no internet is corrected in 35. 

35 is a beta currently so you have to download the beta version to play with it.

james

Okay, I'll take a look at it. I just needed Roon to work for now and finally got that working.