Headphone Mania is.......

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Headphone Mania is.......
« on: 10 Sep 2012, 05:45 pm »
That awesome feeling you get when you get some new cans and the sound is so good your set for life, and then a week goes by and your buddy is selling those Grado's you always wanted.
You buy them and they sound great too and a year later you have 20 IEM's, 4 open sets of full size cans and countless over-ear types along with all the experiments in between!!!!!

Then you find out about dedicated headphone amps, and "IT BEGINS"!!!! -- "Headphone Mania" !!

Tell us about your latest grab, find or deal!  What amp, portable or full size, is your favorite this week. Whats next on your list......bring it all and tell us whats going on with your collection of stuff!!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Headphone Mania is.......
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2012, 05:54 pm »
Oh....I'm Ed- eclein the new guy...lets have some FUN!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

hibuckhobby

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2012, 06:04 pm »
Hi..I'm Bob and I'm have the disease as well.
Recently, I've picked up a used Lyr with a dozen different
pairs of tubes to roll. (No hum on this one at all Dave) for $250
and a Headroom Home amps for $200.   I've temporarily stopped
buying headphones...until I sell some of the ones I'm not using.   :roll:
Hibuck....

Noseyears

• Industry Participant
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2012, 05:50 pm »
Headphone mania is in good hands  :thumb:
good to see you on charge Ed.

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2012, 10:44 pm »
That awesome feeling you get when you get some new cans and the sound is so good your set for life, and then a week goes by and your buddy is selling those Grado's you always wanted.
You buy them and they sound great too and a year later you have 20 IEM's, 4 open sets of full size cans and countless over-ear types along with all the experiments in between!!!!!

What a relief, someone appears to have it even worse than myself.
I am a longtime Sennheiser fan; one of my few brand loyalties. I have owned 414's, 424's, 580's, 485's, PX100's, 555's, and probably one or two others I can't recall at the moment.
Current cans are the Senn555's and Etymotic HF3 IEMs, and am considering an O2 amp or the rumored desktop version, and also thinking about something with a somewhat different 'signature' so as to have another option along with the excellent but somewhat bright 555's. Only full size open cans need apply. Candidates currently include the AT ATH-900, Beyer DT880, Senn HD600 if I can find the right deal, and Hifiman HE-500 if I go bat sh** crazy  :lol: but more likely will cap the search at $300-$400 street price. Open to suggestions if someone can think of something I've overlooked, which there no doubt is.

SteveFord

• Admin
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2012, 12:56 am »
Headphone mania means thinking hard about what to do:
repair/register/insure the truck or
buy a Stax headphone and amplifier combo.

Decisions, decisions...

milford3

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2012, 07:15 pm »
Replacing the ear pads on my DT 990's.  I wore the first pair out in less than one year.  Plus, I like the color black better than the gray.
Enjoy the music.

grsimmon

• Caution - Digital Cannons!
« Reply #7 on: 29 Sep 2012, 01:18 am »
.....my dedication to the proposition & hope that closed headphones can sound good :)    I have nothing against open headphones, I just have no use for them in my current family & work situation.  My favorite closed models that provide good sound and isolation are:

Ultrasone Edition 8
Beyerdynamic 1350
and keenly interested in the new Fostex closed flagship (model something something 900?).....except that it's like $2K usd.
also interested in the AKG 550 model, but kind of concerned about the finicky seal that I have read about.....

Also,  someday I'd like to try out a quality balanced headphone amp and see what all the fuss is about.  Unfortunately though that means I would have to take the plunge and have my Edition 8's rewired.....gulp :o

milford3

« Reply #8 on: 29 Sep 2012, 01:27 am »
Wanting to own the  Beyerdynamic Tesla T1.  The issue is breaking the news to my better half about the clams needed to get these puppies.  But hey, you only live once, right?

FireGuy

« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2012, 03:02 am »
Wanting to own the  Beyerdynamic Tesla T1.  The issue is breaking the news to my better half about the clams needed to get these puppies.  But hey, you only live once, right?

Have you found a local dealer for a demo?
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2012, 11:05 am by FireGuy »

FireGuy

« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2012, 04:08 pm »
NuForce uDac2 + Beyerdynamic 990 (600 om) =  :D :D :D :D :P

FireGuy

« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2013, 04:29 am »
Heavy into auditioning the Grados (RS1i) and the Beyers.  The T1's IMO yes, all the way.   :D++

victor_cc

« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2013, 07:03 am »
Headphone Mania is a beauty!

Cheers

FireGuy

« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2013, 03:18 pm »
Headphone Mania is a beauty!

Cheers

Gorgeous!

milford3

« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2013, 03:32 pm »
+1 on the AT's and amp.  WOW!

milford3

« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2013, 03:00 am »
Next on my radar is the AKG 702.   :D

victor_cc

« Reply #16 on: 22 Apr 2013, 06:55 am »
Gorgeous!

+1 on the AT's and amp.  WOW!

Indeed, a few weeks back I sold the W3000ANV headphones and I still shed some tears every time I look to the rack and I see the amp laying alone missing his partner.... :(

milford3

« Reply #17 on: 4 May 2013, 12:22 am »
Finally, the Grado RS1i's are breaking in after 50+ hours.  For all you Grado owners out there I NOW know what the fuss is all about.  Only draw back with the RS1's are the ear pads.  But hey, I'll take the sound over comfort anytime. :P

bepbep

« Reply #18 on: 4 May 2013, 12:34 am »
Long time lurker who just posted in the Burson Soloist SL thread

Headphone Mania has taken over in this house in late 2012 into 2013

3 years with a Decware CSP2 and Sennheiser HD650 and AKG 701....the CSP2/HD650 is something special

Recently bought:

--Beyerdynamic T-90
--Burson Soloist SL
--Beyerdynamic DT-1350
--JDS Labs ODAC and C421 amp

the most exciting of the bunch of new purchases has been the Beyerdynamic T-90's.....they are like a mix of the best of the HD650 and AKG701 put together in one

Really want to hear the HE-400 with the Burson Soloist SL.....I think they would match well

FireGuy

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jun 2013, 11:32 pm »
Finally got the adapter I needed to run the (new) Beyer DT-880's.  These cans are extremely well made and comfortable as sin.  Compared to the Senn HD555 they exhibit a tamed yet delicate high end, much improved bass with a silky smooth mid range.   Break in period or not, plan on putting a lot miles on these.  So, first impressions are quite positive.