4B3 rear “status” led flashing red

alanford69

4B3 rear “status” led flashing red
« on: 15 Jul 2023, 08:38 am »
Hello yesterday it happened that my 4B3 was not switching on and I noticed the Status led was flashing red. I disconnected the power cable for 1 min, the reconnected it and everything was fine again. Any hint about what may have been happened? What does it mean when the above led flashes red?

Thanks!

Phil A

Re: 4B3 rear “status” led flashing red
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2023, 01:20 pm »
I believe usually the flashing red means that the amp may have gone into clipping.  How big is the room you are playing it in, what is the efficiency of the speakers you are using and how loud were you listening?  Also, did it happen listening to a particular piece of music?

Ron D

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2023, 09:32 pm »
I don't think the rear status light has anything to do with the amp clipping, the lights in the front panel display that issue. Front panel used to be green was OK, orange getting near clipping and red was clipping - might still be this way. Sounds like a power related issue. Hopefully someone will chime in.

alanford69

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2023, 10:27 pm »
I don't think the rear status light has anything to do with the amp clipping, the lights in the front panel display that issue. Front panel used to be green was OK, orange getting near clipping and red was clipping - might still be this way. Sounds like a power related issue. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Exactly

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2023, 01:05 pm »
The light flashing on the rear usually means the amplifier was not turned on in the proper sequence - circuit breaker should be in ON position prior to plugging it into the wall.

james

alanford69

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2023, 02:43 pm »
The light flashing on the rear usually means the amplifier was not turned on in the proper sequence - circuit breaker should be in ON position prior to plugging it into the wall.

james

Thanks James, that was not the case since the circuit breaker is always on. I thought that maybe, while cleaning, the power cable or the multiswitch may have been hit and partially unplugged causing a weak contact.
Anyway now it’s working as it should ;-)