I'd Like Your Views On Enclosures

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
I'd Like Your Views On Enclosures
« on: 23 Dec 2013, 02:01 pm »
Since we will soon be fabricating our own enclosures including the custom milling/drilling of our own front/rear panels, I'm curious to gauge the interest level in either standard or custom made enclosure for DIY projects.

From our own experiences, the most challenging aspect of DIY projects is getting the front/rear panels customized the way your want them. Drilling round holes is one thing but milling out square, rectangular or custom shaped openings is far more challenging and usually beyond most DIY'ers.

What are you thoughts on DIY enclosures generally and customized front/rear panels specifically?

Love to get your comments, ideas and suggetions.

Cheeers,
Morten

ru1020

Re: I'd Like Your Views On Enclosures
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2013, 02:30 pm »
Happy X-Mas !!

you're right about the time spent on drilling holes to accomodate the input / ouput chassis plugs and component placement. I recently completed a diy amp and the amount of time I spent the mechanical part of the project far outweighed the connection of the electrical components

So, maybe you could provide some of the cutouts to the diy community with case options, etc. Generally, for me, (no engineering background), I really like assembling the components but hate having to choose the bits and pieces from a multitude of sources with the constant fear that something might be incompatible.

My DIY nirvana would be a full kit with all the bits and pieces (including chassis) = lower price and the pleasure to assemble the kit.

In any event, I am really looking forward to your new balanced LDR amps with the new case.

greetings !!

MikeLdiy

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2014, 10:51 pm »
Hi Morten,

I have number of projects that I'm always am looking for enclosures.  Some projects not related to audio as well could use a custom panel.  Square is hard and the holes do not look finished so some sort of washer is needed.....the list goes on.  This is difficult for me to do as my mechanical skills are very bad, I'm more electrical inclined.

Long story short, I'd pay more for a custom layout panel with ready to go enclosure that I could just use.  Same goes for front panel plywood speaker cutouts both round and square with chamfer/round overs in complex shapes.  The other problem for me is making a CNC file that could be used instead of trying to describe and draw properly.

I need a shop hehe.

Mike

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2014, 05:38 pm »
A readily available enclosure would be welcome, but it would have to appeal to me.  I have ordered parts for my new build with the dual volume readout and now am considering have a faceplate made.   Like everyone  says, those squares are hard

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2014, 05:47 pm »
A readily available enclosure would be welcome, but it would have to appeal to me.  I have ordered parts for my new build with the dual volume readout and now am considering have a faceplate made.   Like everyone  says, those squares are hard

What would the minimum specs be for an appealing enclosure that would suit your needs but might also have broader appeal as well?

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2014, 09:12 am »
Since we will soon be fabricating our own enclosures including the custom milling/drilling of our own front/rear panels, I'm curious to gauge the interest level in either standard or custom made enclosure for DIY projects.

From our own experiences, the most challenging aspect of DIY projects is getting the front/rear panels customized the way your want them. Drilling round holes is one thing but milling out square, rectangular or custom shaped openings is far more challenging and usually beyond most DIY'ers.

What are you thoughts on DIY enclosures generally and customized front/rear panels specifically?

Love to get your comments, ideas and suggetions.

Cheeers,
Morten

Did you have a price in mind? I think that's what it would probably come down to.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2014, 07:10 pm »
Did you have a price in mind? I think that's what it would probably come down to.

To answer that question it comes down to price for what? Enclosures can run the gamut from simple small raw metal box to large fully customized enclosure with machined openings etc. I tossed this question out there to get some market intelligence on what people would like to see that they can't get with current offerings. Trying to determine if there's a niche in this market that isn't adequately being served. Certainly not going to compete with commodity type boxes coming out of China etc. As things stand, I'm  not convinced it makes sense for us to offer anything but that could change.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2014, 10:08 pm »
I have ordered a clean looking box (9"W x 6"D x 3"H) from China for $52 shipped.  I plan to replace it's faceplate with a custom one from Front Panel Express.  I figure I'll have about $150 in it and still have to drill holes in rear panel.  What I like - it has a big removable face plate that I can easily use as a template to design the custom one, and the box is accessible by simply removing the top cover.

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2014, 09:12 am »
To answer that question it comes down to price for what?

Hi Morten, I thought you were talking about offering enclosures for your LDR preamp kit. So to answer your question, price for the enclosure for the LDR preamp kit.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2014, 03:08 pm »
Hi Morten, I thought you were talking about offering enclosures for your LDR preamp kit. So to answer your question, price for the enclosure for the LDR preamp kit.

Well in fact we are trending in the direction of a full kit which would include the LDR3x preamp board, 3 input relay board, encoder module, display module, power supply, and a standard enclosure. Other bits may also include input/output jacks, power entry module, maybe even all wiring etc.

There are many audio enthusiasts who aren't ready to source all the bits and pieces separately  :o (which is very time consuming) but would love a comprehensive kit.  :D

Frankly the hardest part of sorting this out is the enclosure itself. Do we fab our own or buy/package an existing enclosure perhaps with some key modifications?    :scratch:

Cheers,
Morten

ru1020

« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2014, 04:13 pm »
+1 for a comprehensive kit with all components sourced.

Bemopti123

« Reply #11 on: 2 Mar 2014, 04:47 pm »
A comprehensive kits with all front and back plates would garner a lot of interest.  Especially with accommodations for a dual display volume/status display. 

kernelbob

« Reply #12 on: 2 Mar 2014, 05:27 pm »
Hi Morten,

I've sent you an email a few days ago asking some details toward finalizing an order for an LDR3B+ unit.  This thread sparked the idea that if a comprehensive kit were avaiilable, including transformers for input/output, I could assemble it myself.  This would give me the opportunity for some of the details I discussed in my email such as wire for critical signal path positions, solder selection, etc.  I know you're getting deluged with user requests, but such is the result of a hot product.  If you're looking for a guinea pig, let me know.

Regards,
Robert