Tweaks with Lampi GG or Big 7

Murphys33

Tweaks with Lampi GG or Big 7
« on: 14 Nov 2016, 09:41 pm »
I am curious if anyone has deployed any good tweaks with their lampi. I shall start with mine... I deploy active vibration platforms... acccurion i4. Please share yours.

genjamon

Re: Tweaks with Lampi GG or Big 7
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2016, 10:07 pm »
Neat!  I use Daedalus DiD's for isolation, and have a friend who has made me different pucks of different woods - and I do find they all have different sounds.  I'm interested in trying some Stillpoints, since a friend says they are pretty impressive in his system.  I do believe Lampi's at this level can benefit substantially from isolation and footings. 

Also, I use an outboard USB to SPDIF converter and use the coax SPDIF input - rather than the USB.  I do believe there are better USB to I2S boards out there than the Amanero that Lampi is using.  Though I have yet to hear the superclock version.  The USB input is definitely something I hope to tweak in the future.

Murphys33

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2016, 09:49 pm »
I like to deploy regen -intona for usb. Felt that it presents everything better.

vunthom

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2016, 11:23 am »
For digital input into my GG (sym/preamp) I use Sonore MicroRendu - audiophile USB adaptor soldered by Kreder Audio Tuning - ifi micro iUSB 3.0 - USB adaptor - Acousence afi+USB (galvanic isolation and DDC) and their custom XLR digital output into the XLR input of the GG.
Every box helps  :wink:
The Lampizator guy for Germany highly recommends to change the standard fuse against an audiophile fuse. I haven´t tried that yet but will do when my GG is back from repair :cry:
I do use a PS Audio AC12 power cord and recommend experimenting with AC filters.

wisnon

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2016, 04:24 pm »
I use these:  http://swisscables.com/products/swisscables-accessories/unique/

and I will soon use some used Shun mooks I bought..

Lissnr

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2017, 12:58 am »
I have always been a fan of Sistrum stands (Star Sound Technology) and I use their "Apprentice" 4 point model with great success. I also use the TWL (Triode Wire Labs) Digital American power cable which was a step up from one of the older "8 Plus"  TWL series. I swear by the Synergistis Research fuses: I began with the SR Red...then quickly moved up to the newer SR Black...Fast, Greater blackness between notes..., Detail retrieval, and an open transparency which is addictive. I'm also using the Herbee Titanium tube dampers on all 3 tubes (currently enjoying my Sophia 300B Carbons and my EML 5u4G Meshplate)... though I recently purchased KR 242's...

Lissnr

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2017, 05:08 pm »
One more thing I do for my Big 7 I will add,  is the use of Caig Deoxit contact conditioner which I use on the male ends of my power cables...it adds that clean / quick / more instantaneous sense of power reserve... Ironically I don't care for it on I/C's however where I found the same effect a bit "too much"... Sounds odd but true in my particular instance. YMMV. By the way I decided to sell those KR242's..

wisnon

« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2017, 03:23 pm »
Hi Grant,

What didnt you like about the 242s? Also how and where do you apply the deoxit?

Lissnr

« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2017, 10:09 pm »
Hello Wisnon, The deoxit works great on the male end of the power cable. First I use a fine grade of steel wool to " buff out" the 3 prongs as thoroughly as I can ( all by hand and as thoroughly around all 3 ' blades)' then apply the deoxit ( give a few minutes to dry). These particular cables hadn't been cleaned up in awhile and were visibly somewhat tarnished looking when I began. Once installed and amps powered up I actually saw brighter tube intensity / glow! The cables really must have needed it....!
As for the 242's they are very impressive tubes... when I first heard my system with Ked's visiting pair I was duly impressed and when I first installed my new ones I was again. The detail retrieval, open vivid dynamic wall of sound was stupendous and the bass impact and extension was on par with the best SS I've ever heard... and I mean that. In fact, a friend had recently brought over his new Pass XA60.8 monos to try in my system and we had a lot of fun. Very very nice amps and I can hear right away what their appeal is. Smooth, defined, well extended at the extremes, most especially the bass grip... lots to admire and when you factor in the lack of maintenance and long term trouble free operation they are indeed serious audio establishment.. especially if preceeded by upstream tubes.
With the dynamics and stunning bass grip I was getting from the 242's I jokingly referred to them as my " solid state tubes". They were that 'BIG'.. want to conduct some Mahler? ( as Ked asserted) or crank up the latest Led Zepplin reissues? Who needs SS when you have the 242's? And Lord knows I still love both types of classics played at appropriate volumes but... for all they do so well I couldn't agree to the few trade-offs I found in my particular system.
I have planar speakers ( Apogees) for an important reason: one of my main "Holy Grails" I've been chasing in my systems' development for years is the '3D depth/ spatial thing' I love it. It's a huge part of why I'm so immersed in an essentially all tube based system and it's part of the appeal and ' wonder factor' I love about it
but it was also the most noticeable factor I felt was lost with the 242s.. Stage depth was noticeably less and the more upfront perspective threw me off. For me my Big 7 went from Sophia 300B Carbons ( known for their midrange magic)...to the SS character just described with the 242s. I hardly consider my bass 'soft' or edpecially flimsy in anyway, in fact the Apogee woofers and my amps have a great relationship but an argument might be made for a 'middleman' tube that features the best of both tubes...?! But for now I am tremendously happy yet always keeping my eyes, and ears open.
Happy Lissn'n