Veron

mickj7

Veron
« on: 7 Jan 2013, 09:07 pm »
Hi wondering if anyone can help.

I'm using a Denon 301 mkII which has an output of .4mv and output impedance of 33 ohms. I'm currently saving up (taking longer than I expected) for a head amp or SUT to use with my Veron phono stage. Mine is an older version which can be used for MM or MC. I'm wondering if a 10:1 ratio SUT would give sufficient gain. I've been told a 15:1 ratio SUT would be best but this would give a lower load than the 470 ohm which I'm using at the moment and like. I've also read other people like a setting of 470 ohms with my cartridge.
If I get 10:1 it will give 470 ohms but I'm worried the volume or gain won't be high enough. The Denon on the MC setting does not sound as loud as the Musicmaker with an output of 5mv on MM setting or the Dynavector DV20xlh with an output of 2.8mv   

What is the output of the Veron on MM setting? is it 40 ohms?

Paul said his current Veron is optimised for MM and will sound better than mine where compromises are made to allow MM and MC usage.
I'm wondering if mine can be altered to optimise it for MM only (to the current Veron standard) so that when I use it with a head amp or SUT it will sound as good as it can.

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
Re: Veron
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2013, 02:51 pm »
Hello Mick,

Sorry for the tardy reply. It has been a little busy lately.

The output of your Veron when set to MM will be 40 dB.

I’m afraid it will take a lot of circuit surgery and 4 additional CCS boards to change your Version to the latest MM version, which uses different valves in a different circuit topology. This would cost around £300 plus shipping costs. Also it would be Summer before I could do this, as I have a lot of work to catch up with after my recent enforced absence from work due to the hernia operation.

Regards,
Paul