Questions about VR-4jr

JoseL

Questions about VR-4jr
« on: 4 Jul 2017, 03:32 pm »
Hi,
I just purchased a nice used pair of VR-4jr and have a few questions.

1) Lead shot: What would be a safe(er) alternative to lead to fill the chamber?
    -Cooper coated shot, bismuth, steel (has iron, would that be a   
         problem with the magnets?), silica sand, etc?
     -How many pounds (25-50) are a good balance?
2) Finish care: What would the best way to clean and care for the wood veneer finish?
3) How can I tell the model (Mk)? The only info I got is that they have an "upgraded" crossover.
4) Outrigger (Soundocity): What size outriggers to use? What thread size for the fitting hardware?

TIA,

Jose

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: Questions about VR-4jr
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2017, 05:03 pm »
..send Damon a PM with the ser nos...he will be able to provide any history they have at the factory

JoseL

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2017, 02:41 am »
Hi,
I talked today to somebody (sorry, forgot his name, he said is one of the owners) at VSA and due to many reasons and for my disappointment they are not able to trace the speaker's history based on their serial number.  I was told that perhaps if I get the previous (original) owner's name they can help me. I will give the dealer a call to see if I can get contact info.
Thanks,
JL

smilach

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2017, 01:00 am »
Speaking only for myself if I didn't find simple, lead shot to be acceptable I would look first to copper-plated shot followed by bismuth.  Steel shot can rust with exposure to humidity and may eventually develop "chunks" of connected pellets.  Should it get spilled, silica sand can get deep into carpets, threads on connectors, etc.

Others who have used options other than lead shot may have more insight to offer based on their experience.