New lower priced Bryston ‘IS Series’ BIT Product

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: New lower priced Bryston ‘IS Series’ BIT Product
« Reply #100 on: 9 Jun 2012, 03:49 pm »
Hmm, thanks James, I'm trying to get this,

(I feel a viper under the grass though, as we say in Holland...)

You say "one of the main features" is already part of the bigger amps. The others would be, specifically for the 28b? (I ask because i a week it is fathers day, you see.)

Marius

Hi Marius,

Bryston BIT Isolation Transformer Motivation

The concern Bryston had with a lot of power line conditioners available in the market was that many of them could restrict the current available to the amplifier. An amplifier can draw very high peak current, and wants to 'see' a very low impedance high current source from the power line. In fact, we even stated in our owners manuals not to plug our amplifiers into power conditioners. The Transformer based line conditioners we tested were too small to supply the peak current required and many of them were just Filters and did not provide Isolation -(Isolation means there is no mechanical connection between the outside power grid and your inside system power supply).

Also most of the surge protection was done using MOV’s, which are sacrificial and eventually will be destroyed with repeated spikes. Other issues with these MOVs is that they allow much more voltage through before they reacted (typically 300 volts and higher) and they shunt the voltage spikes to ground.

So we decided to try and develop a powerline Conditioner, Isolation and Protection unit that would not have the restrictions of the many units currently on the market from an amplifier performance perspective.

Benefits of Bryston BIT Power Isolation Units:

Benefit #1: Very low source impedance and high current for the power amplifier
BIT power isolation units present low impedance to any electronic device that is connected to them. A Single 20 amp BIT PIU has an output impedance of 0.2 ohms and can deliver 400 amp peaks (instantaneous current). The 100 amp unit only has .04 Ohms of output impedance. A typical 200 watt audio power amplifier demands 10 amps RMS current from a 120 volt line (1200VA) but may demand up to 50 amp instantaneous peaks. The standard residential wall receptacle can't supply the 50 amp peaks because they typically have higher nominal impedance. A BIT 20 amp PIU plugged into the same wall plug can supply these peak current requirements quite easily.

Benefit #2: Power surge protection using Series Mode Surge Suppression rather than MOV's
The BIT power products use the finest, most elaborate surge suppression technology available. Series Mode Surge Suppression does not shunt the spike to ground like MOV's do, and therefore the ground is infinitely more stable in a Torus power device. Additionally, most MOV-based surge suppression units allow as much as 300 volts through to the protected components, easily enough to do substantial damage, where as BIT surge suppression has clamping voltage onset of around 2V above peak nominal voltage. Torus units are built to meet 6000 volts, 3000 amps at 1000 repeats standard.

Benefit #3: Total isolation from outside power grid
BIT power products provide isolation through its finest designed toroidal transformer between the outside power grid and the devices being protected. Such isolation helps to reject external noise sources such as motors, lights, and dimmers commonly found in the home environment. BIT power products provide noise filtering at a range from approximately 2000Hz to over 1MHz – other regular transformer based products do not start operating until nearly 10,000 Hz.

Benefit #4: High Power Capability
There are 6 models of BIT power products available ranging from 5 amps to 100 amps and 120/240 Volts. BIT has recently introduced NEMA wall-mount units, which are typically placed at the hydro panel for whole-house or whole-room power line isolation and protection.

Benefit# 5: Low Noise
Bryston BIT products utilize ‘LONO’ (Low Noise) transformer design technology that eliminates audible noise in the power transformer regardless of line conditions, DC offset and over-voltage. BIT products perform at the NC10 level measured on the standard NC (Noise Criteria) – which makes them suitable for use in very quiet environments such as professional recording and broadcast studios.

Benefit # 6: Cleaner Power
Bryston BIT products utilize “NBT” (Narrow Bandwidth Technology) to attenuate differential and common-mode noise without external circuits or components, and starting at a lower corner frequency (2Khz) than other systems.

SHV

« Reply #101 on: 9 Jun 2012, 04:54 pm »
How much impedance does a "power strip",  which may add an additional 4 meters of 12 gauge copper wire and with no addition surge "protection, add to the impedance "as seen" by the amps power supply?

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #102 on: 9 Jun 2012, 05:25 pm »
How much impedance does a "power strip",  which may add an additional 4 meters of 12 gauge copper wire and with no addition surge "protection, add to the impedance "as seen" by the amps power supply?

Steve

Hi Steve

The wall outlets we measured were about 1 to 1.5 ohms. I did not measure a power strip.

That might be intertesting :scratch:

James

Alpha10

« Reply #103 on: 6 Aug 2012, 09:29 am »
Hi James,

My dealer here in the UK has been chasing PMC for me about the BITs and they seem, for whatever reason, to be reluctant to supply them! Where does that leave me if they do not wish to bring them into the UK? Can my dealer (or I) order direct from you guys?

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #104 on: 6 Aug 2012, 10:22 am »
Hi James,

My dealer here in the UK has been chasing PMC for me about the BITs and they seem, for whatever reason, to be reluctant to supply them! Where does that leave me if they do not wish to bring them into the UK? Can my dealer (or I) order direct from you guys?

Cheers

Hi

I will ask our export manager. I think given the distribution agreements we have to deal exclusively through the distribution channel. Maybe ask PMC if it can be a 'special ' purchase rather than an official distribution agreement.

James

Blackstone

« Reply #105 on: 6 Aug 2012, 12:12 pm »
Do the concerns about current limitation apply to headphone amplifiers as well? I know current limitation has been a consideration for power amps for some time.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #106 on: 6 Aug 2012, 12:25 pm »
Do the concerns about current limitation apply to headphone amplifiers as well? I know current limitation has been a consideration for power amps for some time.

Hi,

No the current delivery is really just important with large power amplifiers under transient conditions.

james

clive101

« Reply #107 on: 14 Oct 2016, 01:31 pm »
I am after a BIT 20 in the UK
Any news James ..?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #108 on: 14 Oct 2016, 03:41 pm »
I am after a BIT 20 in the UK
Any news James ..?

Hi Clive

Did you contact PMC?

james

clive101

« Reply #109 on: 2 May 2017, 07:55 pm »
Hello James, sorry for the late reply ( I did not get an auto email ), I did contact PMC and took a while to get the correct information, for some reason they did not know about the product and hence was a little long winded.
The price quoted, well lets say I got the feeling its was a little inflated, so I went for the Torus AVR 2 16 amp it was better priced and came with more features being delivered tomorrow.
Sadly not a Bryston product but I did try my best and would pay a "bit" more for the branding ( no pun intended ).
Regards Clive.