Empirical 2004 T.H.E. Show report
« on: 18 Jan 2004, 07:45 pm »
We didn't get out of our room much, but here is our view of the show:

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/frTHE_Show_2004.html

Hantra

« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2004, 09:18 pm »
Steve:

Are you saying the modded Adcom 585 sounds better than the JC-1's?

Just curious.  I wondered if it was the Soundlines, or the amp.

Thanks for the pics!

B

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2004, 09:26 pm »
Steve,

You weren't gonna' hear anything dramatically better in any other room for anywhere near your kind of system dollars....you didn't miss THAT much, therefore.  

I have to agree with you on the Audia Ribbons...Fernando (designer) said has has 16 models planned from $2000 to $10,000 coming out....thru dealer distribution.  They are a company to watch if he only comes out with half as many for twice as much as planned.  He even made tube ( a wholly subjective opinion of mine) sound good in his room.  

And Bob Gross of Speaker Art has apparently been around a whole long time, I never heard of him or his creations, but his speakers sounded mighty good powered by an Acoustic Reality ICEpower stereo amp and cheapo NAD 541i CDP.  The total experience sounded a lot better than the sum of the parts would have suggested without listening.

Dang, that's what you had packed in the KEF Widow's hump.....ummm, impressive. :)

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2004, 11:14 pm »
Hantra wrote:
Are you saying the modded Adcom 585 sounds better than the JC-1's?

Just curious. I wondered if it was the Soundlines, or the amp.

Yep, the modded Adcom is MUCH better than the unmodded JC-1's.  I cannot wait to mod the JC-1's now.  Just have to find the time.

The Soundlines have potential.  They are no match for the modded KEF's right now though.  I hope the dynamics are just as good after I mod the Soundlines.  I am also hoping to get some of the Audia ribbons. We are working a deal of consulting in trade for some speakers.  The Audias are definitely capable of great dynamics.  Unfortunately, the Audia electronics was really holding back the speakers.  I would like to help them in this area, including some active and passive crossover design.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2004, 03:13 am »
Curious what Steve's system at T.H.E. Show would retail for?  I was:

Sony DVP-S7700 Transport > $300 + $500 + $130 (Jensen 4 Pole)
EA Bitmeister 0.5m digital cable > $280
Perpetual Technologies P-3A DAC > $800(new) + $1357 (w/Superclock2)
EA 1.0m Holophonic-PC IC-silver bullet rca > $620
Mark Levinson #38 preamp> $2500 + $2400
EA 1.5m Holophonic-PC IC-silver bullet rca > $794
Adcom GFA-585 2-channel amp > $750 + $2000
EA 8-foot Clarity7 speaker cables > $1512
KEF 104/2 loudspeakers > $800 + $1400(?)

$16,143.00 is what I come up with using today's Audiogon used pricing for the Sony transport, ML #38, Adcom GFA-585 and KEF speakers and assuming I heard/remembered Steve correctly that the mod on the KEF (if he offered it) would be $1400.00.  The +'s are his mod costs.  Anyhow, these assumptions and a few hundred freight back and forth would bring us to about $16,500.00.  Give or take a few % either way.

It's certainly a sum that the non-obsessed would blanche at, but many of us have already spent this and much more for our systems.

Me, I know I'm about $6500 shy of nirvana....but at least I have something of a target now to reach for.  Nice to know I won't have to file Chapter 11 reorganization to get there  :lol:

I don't wanna' keep smooching Steve's (lanky) butt-ocks, but it really was nice and fatigue free in his room at T.H.E.  He's a gifted engineer with a keen ear.

And Steve, I changed my avator, so you can post my pic if you like....if there are any young children in the audience, please shield your eyes!

:jester:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2004, 03:19 am »
Well, I can say that the modified Sony S-7700 makes one heck of transport and will be in my system for quite a long time!

It would have been nice to hear the complete system, maybe next year...

GW

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2004, 03:26 am »
Quote from: zybar
Well, I can say that the modified Sony S-7700 makes one heck of transport and will be in my system for quite a long time!

It would have been nice to hear the complete system, maybe next year...

GW

Yeah, I have not gotten mine modded yet (except for a few pads of effective constrained layer damping material on the tray), but it is high on my list of upgrades right now.  I wouldn't have previously thought a substantial mod to a transport wouldn't matter as much as this...despite some informative posts from Marbles and others in the recent past.  I can be a bit thick sometimes until I hear it for myself.  It's a major upgrade...jitter must suck worse than originally thought.

I remember Dan Wright / Modwright saying he doesn't mod the DVP-S7700 because of concerns the laser would peter out as it's most of the Sony's are well used and 5 years old...but Steve seems to have no such qualms about it.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2004, 03:36 am »
It can't just be jitter b/c the unit it repaced was the SF SFT-1.  The SFT had extremely low jitter, yet was bettered in all areas by the Empirical Sony.

It was well worth the money.

BTW, I did get the Jensen Caps.

GW

audioengr

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2004, 05:44 pm »
Sony DVP-S7700 Transport > $300 + $500 + $130 (Jensen 4 Pole)
EA Bitmeister 0.5m digital cable > $280
Perpetual Technologies P-3A DAC > $600(new) + $1357 (w/Superclock2)
EA 1.0m Holophonic-PC IC-silver bullet rca > $620
Mark Levinson #38 preamp> $1500 + $2400
EA 1.5m Holophonic-PC IC-silver bullet rca > $794
Adcom GFA-585 2-channel amp > $650 + $2000
EA 8-foot Clarity7 speaker cables > $1512
KEF 104/2 loudspeakers > $800 + $4000

I made some adjustments above.  First, I generally give a little discount on my cables, particularly for system quantities and sometimes they are actually on sale.  Second, the KEF mod I will NOT be offering due to it's difficulty.  The total I get is: $17,443
With cable discounts it would be closer to $15K

As for Lasers petering-out.  I have never had this happen to any player of mine.  In fact, I have a Philips 8800 CDP that is about 16 years old and still works fine.

This was an interesting excercise.  Thanks John.

audioengr

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2004, 05:50 pm »
John - you asked for it, so here it is: The Chair Guy in the flesh.

I think the grin is a result of what is playing - Frampton.

Marbles

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2004, 05:51 pm »
snip

TheChairGuy

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2004, 06:02 pm »
Darn good thing I wore my clean shirt that day and wore a bandana...the glare from my naked pate would've washed out the pic otherwise :rotflmao:

I didn't notice you had any power cables in the mix or mention of a power conditioner/fancy strip, but you probably had a couple PC's (Adcom, Perp Tech, ML?) in there, so we're at about $18/19,000 or so...less the definitely-not-available $4000 mod to the KEF's.  

Even so, nirvana is plainly in sight now.

audioengr

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2004, 06:05 pm »
You are correct.  I had one 10-foot Grand Slam to the Adcom.  The rest were just generic cords.