Lots of Vinyl at CES

John Casler

Lots of Vinyl at CES
« on: 14 Jan 2004, 05:27 pm »
:o I was quite surprised by the amount of Vinyl at CES.

So as an enthusiast/dealer I am looking into a couple lines of TTs and such.

Shortly after getting back I "re-did" my Denon TT/SME 3009 II/Sumiko Blue Point and "re-fitted" the arm with new interconnects from AudioQuest.

I tried using a "step up" transformer, straight into the MiniMax I have been auditioning, and the sound was "so-so" but not up to the standards of my DVD system.  In fact it was rather flat and rolled off on the bottom end.

Well I eventually removed the transformer and ran the leads into my Bryston .5B preamp phono inputs and then output through the tape outs (bypassing the volume control ciruitry and just using the Bryston for its phono section) and now I have some "WOW" factor.  In fact the difference is not only encouraging, but startling from what I heard before.

So I am toying with the idea of picking up the Clearaudio line (what a booth they had) which means, I would have to pick up a table and accessories to display (should be FUN!!!)

http://www.musicalsurroundings.com/clearaud.html

I was just wondering, how many have heard this line and find it a good company and quality table?

Depending on what I hear (from AC members) I will consider carrying the line (and getting one of the tables for myself)

If so I will also post (in Market Square) what type of "courtesy pricing" will be available.

The other line I am considering is Thorens (in fact my distributor already carries them, but I liked the look of the Clear Audio -- They are very cool)

Any comments or interest in those two???

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Lots of Vinyl at CES
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2004, 05:48 pm »
Hello John,
   I have always like the ClearAudio tables and in fact have been considering picking them up myself now that we have the showroom (they would not allow non-storefront dealers at the time I previously inquired).

I think you will be quite impressed with this line as they are very well built with a good selection to fit most price points.

Keep us posted.

Brad

Lots of Vinyl at CES
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2004, 08:04 pm »
John,

If you were just using a step-up, weren't you missing the phono equalization that needs to be done?

John Casler

Lots of Vinyl at CES
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2004, 05:01 pm »
I think you will be quite impressed with this line as they are very well built with a good selection to fit most price points.

Thanks,  They certainly had a great display and room (infact the best overall presentation I saw at the show, the room even "smelled" fantastic)

If you were just using a step-up, weren't you missing the phono equalization that needs to be done?

Yessiree Bob, it didn't sound too good.  Then I ran it into the phono section of the Bryston and it sounded better, and then took the step up transformer out of the loop and it sounded even better.

The crowning touch was adding a new set of "AudioQuest Diamondbacks" which helped the bass, dynamics and high end.  

I recalibrated the SME 3009 and should probably put a bead of oil on the tables bearing (in fact I'll go do that right now......)

Now I have to catch up with my listening since, my vinyl had been just sitting there all these years. :nono: