Stupid question about hooking up passive subs w/ Acoustats

bedo

Hello,

After 20+ years I will be putting my 2+2's or newly acquired 1+1's back into action.  What do I need to choose where the subs and Acoustats cross over.  With the 2+2's I also am pulling my pair of Hartley 15" subs out of storage.  I have a Aragon 4004 II and a Apt Holman amp.  I remember using a Tandberg 8008(?) preamp back then.  Would like to xover between 115-125.

It has been s long and I need suggestions.  Money is tight, we are moving and plan to get up and running in the new house.

Thanks!

bedo

Re: Stupid question about hooking up passive subs w/ Acoustats
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2015, 09:45 pm »
 :duh: Nobody?!  C'mon, a little education would really be doing me a solid!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2015, 11:01 pm »
I sent an email to Mr. Acoustat on your behalf yesterday.
Hopefully, he'll be able to help you out.

bedo

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2015, 07:12 pm »
Thank you!   :thumb:

MrAcoustat

« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2015, 11:39 pm »
Thank you!   :thumb:

Hi bedo in over 30 years with Acoustats i have never used subwoofers but please send me your email address and i will send you my friend Jocelyn email address he will be able to answer any of your question..  André

bedo

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2015, 03:52 pm »
Now that I try to remember I think I used them straight up for 2 chan and only had subs in the mix through my surround sound decoder.  The original owner was using the pair of Hartley subs for 2 chan music, that I remember.

Thank you for keeping these wonderful speakers alive with your support!

alfagil

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2015, 04:41 am »
Bedo,

How do your acoustats match up with the Aragon?  My 22s caused a failure in my 4002.  I switched to tubes and haven't had a problem ever since.

bedo

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2015, 05:38 pm »
I have yet to power them back up but should in about a months time, finally moving.  Never a problem with the 4004 and the 2+2's.  Going to pair it to the 1+1's which should tax it more but I expect that it won't hiccup.

BruceSB

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2015, 09:54 pm »
I have spectra 22s.
I did not buy the optional acoustat subs.
I understand that they were never anything special.
I will say that my spectra 22s do have a sub switch which I don't think a lot of other acoustats have.
Maybe 6 or 8 years ago I purchased a pair of martin logan dynamos.
Sometimes I have the dynamos switched in and sometimes I have them switched out.
The only difference that I can tell with the subs in is a bit more base "slam".
The acoustats are supposed to go louder with subs but this is not an issue in my small room.
Due to a problem with room node resonances, these day I have the subs along the side wall and I sometimes run the spectra 22s full range and the subs on as well.
I do think that a lot depends on the subs.
The subs need to be "fast", which I take to mean well designed to go with electrostats.
While I think that more or less any sub can be designed to go well with electrostats you probably have the best chance of a good match with sealed box type subs, e.g. my dynamos.
Just some thoughts.
Hope this helps.
Bruce