Cookie Marenco on NPR

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Cookie Marenco on NPR
« on: 11 Sep 2013, 10:12 am »
NPR had a report this morning on Cookie and the renewed market interest in high-resolution music and DSD. It provided a solid intro to the topic for the general public.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=npr&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.npr.org%2F&ei=kkEwUuOVIoLY9QTxlIHABw&usg=AFQjCNHhzJGMjiBCI0LXeXoQy8CoK_dhVg&bvm=bv.51773540,d.eWU

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
Re: Cookie Marenco on NPR
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2013, 12:22 pm »
Just heard it on the way home after working all night!  A real eye-opener!!  Great report, and ought to be a "shot-in-the-arm" boosting mainstream awareness for high-end audio!

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2013, 12:55 pm »
Thanks for the heads up.  Argh (I owe her dinner from a bet about Norah Jones provenance).  :)

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2013, 02:02 pm »
I just chatted with Cookie.  She said they did 25 hours with her and the musicians (Keith, etc).   It's amazing it produced like 90 seconds of her spoken audio.  It is quite ironic that the Mark Waldrep sound bite/comment sounds like he endorses DSD.   :)

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2013, 02:29 pm »
Unfortunately, the "higher res doesn't really matter" crowd are now chiming in with their derogatory comments, calling the story "rubbish".  I guess they need to pull their cheap ear buds out and listen on a quality system!

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2013, 04:03 pm »
I just listened to the interview. Yeah, it's great that high rez is getting more exposure but at $5 a cut I don't see how it will be successful with anything other than a very small, well heeled audience. Hopefully, there will competition in the field and prices will drop. How many 20 year olds will pay $50/album especially since you don't get any physical media?   

BTW, aside from bandwidth, are the costs of production any more for DSD than any other downloadable format?