Alnico option for Super 7 XRS

J-Pak

Alnico option for Super 7 XRS
« on: 30 Sep 2014, 07:50 pm »
Is the Alnico upgrade for the Super 7 XRS no longer offered? I don't see it on the website. Cheers.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Alnico option for Super 7 XRS
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2014, 10:24 pm »
Hello J-Pak,

When we added up the finish options plus the Alnico option on the Super 7 XRS and Super 7 Monitor, we found they were crowding the pricing of the Super Alnico XRS and Super Alnico Monitor which have not only a superior alnico driver, but the high end finishes too.  In reality the Super Alnico XRS and Monitor should be priced higher, but we can't do that suddenly because it would cause "price shock" to prospective Omega buyers.  However, over time the prices could eventually creep up to where we feel they belong.

J-Pak

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2014, 02:49 am »
That makes sense, thanks Rob.

jorgen

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2014, 05:42 pm »
Hi CR
You say the 6,5" alnico driver is superior to the 7" alnico, is it a big difference? In a way I wish I knew that before I went for the 7", even though I'm very happy with it, I just wanted to get the best option and I didn't know this when I ordered ... And the price difference couldn't be THAT big...

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2014, 05:53 pm »
Hi CR
You say the 6,5" alnico driver is superior to the 7" alnico, is it a big difference? In a way I wish I knew that before I went for the 7", even though I'm very happy with it, I just wanted to get the best option and I didn't know this when I ordered ... And the price difference couldn't be THAT big...

Me too, though I am eying the upcoming 1.5 Alnico.   :P

Though I am grateful to have the introduction I have had with my driver rolling between RS7A and RS7V in the Super 7 XRS.  The Alnico has impressed me so much that I'm looking for the next step up.

..........Peter

jorgen

« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2014, 06:20 pm »
Peter
That would be an interesting combo with the  Dennis Had amps of yours. 6v6 tubes still your favorite, or rolling rolling?

pstrisik

« Reply #6 on: 1 Oct 2014, 09:05 pm »
Peter
That would be an interesting combo with the  Dennis Had amps of yours. 6v6 tubes still your favorite, or rolling rolling?

Hi Jorgen,

I have to say that 6V6 is my favorite.  Popes leading the pack.  Second are Mullard EL34 XF2.  I have a few 6V6 variants on their way though.  Visseaux - 1951, Silvania - 1940's, Tung-Sol GTA ~1960, and the Tung-Sol 6V6 reissue which gets good reviews for a current production tube and is cheap enough to give a go.

Goal is to settle down with a favorite or two despite what currently feels like an addiction!  :oops:

It will be good to have a stock of tubes though.  They are only getting more expensive and scarce. 

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 1 Oct 2014, 11:02 pm »
Hi CR
Hello jorgen,
The 6.5" Alnico was not, and is not available for custom built orders like yours, so you already have the best driver Louis offers for a custom built speaker.

jorgen

« Reply #8 on: 4 Oct 2014, 01:12 pm »
CR:
OK and all is good. I'm really pleased with them as well but you knis, reading about an even better driver, makes me curious... thanks for your answer, and the PM

Pstrisik: I only have one extra set of the 6V6, currently using a Genalex gold Dragon, and the ones which came with the amp as backup. The Genalex wasn't to expensive, $50 or so. But I want a few extra pairs so any recommendations are welcome. The opportunity to roll tubes in the MT is almost to big, five different tubes on both sides makes a lot of options... Had great success with the mullard 12au7 and tesla ez80 instead of standard ez8181but really need to read and learn more about tubes.

Btw , any one here have experience with transcendse otl amps, want one for my audeze LCD2s..

pstrisik

« Reply #9 on: 4 Oct 2014, 04:59 pm »
CR:
OK and all is good. I'm really pleased with them as well but you knis, reading about an even better driver, makes me curious... thanks for your answer, and the PM

Pstrisik: I only have one extra set of the 6V6, currently using a Genalex gold Dragon, and the ones which came with the amp as backup. The Genalex wasn't to expensive, $50 or so. But I want a few extra pairs so any recommendations are welcome. The opportunity to roll tubes in the MT is almost to big, five different tubes on both sides makes a lot of options... Had great success with the mullard 12au7 and tesla ez80 instead of standard ez8181but really need to read and learn more about tubes.

Btw , any one here have experience with transcendse otl amps, want one for my audeze LCD2s..

Jorgen,

So far the Pope 6V6 is the reigning king of that tube type for me.  I'll have some impressions of the NOS Sylvanias, Tung-Sols and Visseaux in a couple of weeks.

Do you mean Genelex Gold Lion?  If so, I have a pair of current production GL 6V6 that I am not particularly impressed with.  You will have quite an improvement if this is the case.  If it is Gold Dragon, I'm not familiar with them at all.

It looks like the MT can run any of 6V6, 6Y6, 6K6, 6F6, 6L6 for power tubes, so lots of options!  :D  Out of those, the only ones I have run are 6V6 and 6L6.  The 6L6 are recommended NOS RCA, but they did not come out high on my list.  I think 6L6 have a rep of being bigger but more forward sound than 6V6.

.......Peter

jorgen

« Reply #10 on: 4 Oct 2014, 07:18 pm »
Peter:

Yes I meant the Gold Lion. Where did you get the Pope tubes? Costly? as stated above, I know very little about tubes and need to try and error a lot over the winter. Some people I have spoken with says the 12au7 tube makes more of a difference than the output tube.... I do not know

pstrisik

« Reply #11 on: 4 Oct 2014, 11:47 pm »
I bought my pair at Upscale Audio in California.  $49 each US.  Don't know about shipping to where you are.

I don't know about DECWare in particular.  My experience is that the power tubes are more variable, but each of them make a difference to some degree.