Rogue Audio Ninety Nine Preamplifier review by one of our own!

SlushPuppy

I've been eying Rogue Audio for a long time and ran into a new review at StereoTimes.com of their Ninety-Nine Preamplifier by long-time AudioCircle member Paul Mah (ltr317). It's a great review that discusses both the standard and "Super Magnum" versions of the unit. He even did some tube rolling with permission from Mark O’Brien. Great job Paul!

Review link

ratbbb2

Haven read this over a year ago I decided to upgrade my magnum 99.
 Flash forward , I bought a secondary setup using the 99 magnum and a stereo90 and after many happy hours of listening I do a realtime comparison .  I hooked both up using switching devise I had made for me with silver toggles. After a morning of warm up and listening to a  couple songs started to switch between the two and could only say there was a difference but couldn't pinpoint it. Ones I removed the extra set of ICs and the switch it was clear.  And as stated in the last paragraph of the review,  not night and day but a definite improvement transparency and Resolution.  In this crazy world of Audio where an slight upgrade can cost thousands this one is a  now brainer. 
BTW I am using  Sylvania 6SN7GTA in the driver position and Ken Rads in the gain on both amps  so the improvements are in the upgrade components not the tubes.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
 Flash forward , I bought a secondary setup using the 99 magnum and a stereo90 and after many happy hours of listening I do a realtime comparison .  I hooked both up using switching devise I had made for me with silver toggles. After a morning of warm up and listening to a  couple songs started to switch between the two and could only say there was a difference but couldn't pinpoint it. Ones I removed the extra set of ICs and the switch it was clear.  And as stated in the last paragraph of the review,  not night and day but a definite improvement transparency and Resolution.  In this crazy world of Audio where an slight upgrade can cost thousands this one is a  now brainer. 
BTW I am using  Sylvania 6SN7GTA in the driver position and Ken Rads in the gain on both amps  so the improvements are in the upgrade components not the tubes.

Just curious, what do these typically go for these days?

I had a 66 Magnum ten years ago, and it was one of those pieces that I really wanted to like. Tank-like build quality, just exuded quality from everything...only problem was it had a crackle in my Klipsches that wouldn't go away no matter what tubes I tried or how much Deoxit I used.

ratbbb2

From what I've seen the magnum goes for about 1500-1800 I paid 1850 but it included the phono stage the Super magnums are a bit more. I've seen the standard going for as low as 800 a while back and if you can spot one for under 1200 I would consider it . you can have it sent to rogue for  upgrading then or at a later date. never heard the none magnum.

ltr317

Hi Ratbbb2,

Thanks for your update and confirmation of my conclusion with your system.  I'm currently using Sylvania 6SN7GTA on the left side and 5687 on the right side of the chassis.  The combination is perfect for reviewing purposes, sounding clean and neutral, and which I'm currently using to evaluate the new PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP amp for Dagogo.  When I'm not reviewing, I switch to Raytheons to get a warmer sound for personal listening.  I think Rogue and Jolida make the best valued tube components in high end audio.

Cheers,
Paul

p.s.  I had a nice chat with Mark O'Brien at the Stereo Exchange event this past weekend discussing the state of the high end industry.  I also ordered the new software for the remote volume.  Did you get yours yet? 

Bigfishhk

Paul
Just happened on this thread, and read your great review of the 99. I own a 99 s. Magnum, bought used, and a stereo 100,  bought new.
You mentioned in the review how quiet your 99 is for a high gain pre amp. The quietest tubes I own which are Sylvania,s -sourced and tested through Rogue- exhibit hiss that can be heard from about 1-2 feet from tweeter with ears at tweeter level!  Is this normal in your experience?

My other less quiet tubes are heard about 2-4 feet away in a silent room so I don't bother with them in the 99. In a previous thread I asked other owners about this issue and made improvements by sourcing quieter tubes but would like to get the hiss cut even more if poss.
Also in your experience is there a difference in sound  via changing the gain settings?
Thanks
Tom

Ps speakers are Salk sound towers, which are rated at 89 and are on the more sensitive side in my opinion.