Cheap & Cheerful Linear Power Supply...?

Ultralight

Cheap & Cheerful Linear Power Supply...?
« on: 11 Feb 2016, 07:46 am »
I realize the first question probably belongs to another circle but since I'm looking at cheap and cheerful.....figure I'll ask this here.  IF this is too much OT, moderator, please feel free to redirect.

1. Why Linear Supply?  I'm not sure why we can't use regular power supply if they are relatively stable for one of the chip amps.

2. And is there a brand (ebay or otherwise) that is acknowledge to offer high performance for teh dollar/

3. And why do people not use these types of linear supply as you can vary the voltage and amps?  it seem that the voltage will bev ery stable.

Something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Meter-Variable-Single-Output-Alligator-Included/dp/B006W209ZG/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1455176596&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=ten+tec+linear+power+supply

Thanks for any insight. I'm new to this LPS thing.

UL

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Cheap & Cheerful Linear Power Supply...?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2016, 10:54 pm »
Regular (internal) power supplies are linear. 

Digital circuits are very sensitive to power aberrations.  Switchers as they're called by their nature introduce fluctuations, but cost less to build. 

Each device has it's own voltage/amperage/connection requirements.  You can find hundreds of options, many here on AC starting at $30.  Lots of discussion around here, it could almost have it's own circle.

I just bought a Channel Island Audio VDA-12 linear power supply ($329 delivered) for my DSPeaker DAC/preamp/DSP.  It provides slightly tighter bass, improved dynamics, and cleaner treble. 

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2016, 12:57 am »
The used Acopian linear regulated power supplies on eBay are always excellent and offer high performance for the dollar, $20 - $40 for the smaller sizes.
Research what you need on their website then shop on eBay. http://www.acopian.com/
Acopian was founded in 1957 so they really know what they are doing, the power supplies are industrial quality and built like a tank.
I use 2 on my digital front end, one on the Paul Pang USB card and one on the USB/SPDIF converter. The SSD is on a battery. The sound is ever so clean and natural.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2016, 05:30 am »
1. Cheap switching power supplies (aka "wall warts") are noisy and inject that into the sound, making it grittier and harder and raising the noise floor so your not getting as much resolution as possible.

2. Searching in eBay I see at least two Chinese co's shipping from China have lps for audio : terdak and swagman labs. If you want to deal with a us seller, quite a few audiophile retailers are selling the Sbooster LPS (Dutch co - made in China). At least with the later you might have better QC and instructions with tips for your particular unit. But you'll pay up to 3 times more. The swagman labs ones look ok.

3.  This kind of units might be ok for general use but may not be optimized for low noise for audio use. Also eg tend to be large with fans. And you'd need to fashion a custom cable with banana plugs on one end (or bare wire) with typically a barrel connector on the other.

So overall all else being equal, not an elegant and convenient solution.

Hope that helps.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2016, 03:04 am »
SMPS are really good, the problem of noise can be dealt with by established engineering techniques,Linear (regulated) PS have a maximum efficiency of around 75%,that's maximum, if higher input voltage is used the efficiency drops accordingly,SMPS have efficiencies of =>95%,yes Linears have lower noise,but the trend is towards SMPS's,and noise to me hasn't been a problem.

hope this helps

cheers :thumb:

RootScript

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2016, 10:57 pm »
2. And is there a brand (ebay or otherwise) that is acknowledge to offer high performance for teh dollar/

What are you wanting to power? It would help us to narrow some suggestions for you.

Take a look at http://www.longdogaudio.com/project/longdog-audio-linear-psu/ Longdog Audio have a reputation for very good quality at fair prices.  They have a good write up explaining why their LPS are so good, and at least it will give you some more ideas of what sort of things to look out for.

But the appropriate cost really depends what you want to power.  For example, some DACs come with wal warts for power or have options for linear power supplies. The quality of SMPS is fairly hit & miss, you may get one which is stable & has little noise (or you may get one that hums like crazy).

I think it is best for you to describe your setup & what you are trying to achieve/improve on  :)

I have seen recommendations for http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipower/ as an alternative to standard SMPS too.

hope that helps

Ultralight

« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2016, 12:18 am »
Thanks everyone for the responses.

I'm just learning about LPS. 

But do have an amp in particular, a Fleawatt TPA3116 based camp.  I had a demo model in my home driving Omega's 'lowly' RS5 drivers and was super impressed.

Thanks!
UL

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2016, 12:33 am »
I just ordered one of the Acopian 5v units, $285 retail vs.$40 incl. shipping used Ebay. It's for my Bolder SB3. Presently, I'm using an Astron 12v with a 12v to 5v converter. I'll soon know if it sounds better by not having to go through the converter stage. The Acopian 5v has a very low ripple measurement (0.25 mV RMS :o) vs. any of the audiophile units I've come across.   
Here's the link. No affiliation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200567905041

Angaria

« Reply #8 on: 5 Mar 2016, 02:31 am »
I'm wondering, instead of buying linear power supplies for various components, if it would be more cost effective to keep the original cheap PSU's and plug everything into a power regenerator.  Has anyone tried that?

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 5 Mar 2016, 02:56 am »
I'm wondering, instead of buying linear power supplies for various components, if it would be more cost effective to keep the original cheap PSU's and plug everything into a power regenerator.  Has anyone tried that?

Regens cost over $1k, compared to $100-500 PSU. I'd go with a better PSU first. The problem with walwarts and such is they make so much of their own noise. Although they might be ok with a filter of sorts that helps reduce the self noise.

RootScript

« Reply #10 on: 7 Mar 2016, 10:03 pm »
Yes Angaria, I added a Ac regenerator to my system.  I suffered from 'noise' that was not static, it was sometimes noticeable on quiet songs with heavy basslines (entwined with the music), depending if certain wal warts (SMPS) were switched on in the room.
I bought AC Regerator new for £250 (about $350).  The one I bought is called a AG500, it has an adjustable fan (so it is pretty silent) & display, it maintains a rock steady AC supply, and also has a built in uninterruptible power supply battery (UPS).  You can mount it horizontal or vertical, and has 6 IEC power sockets to plug in your equipment.
http://www.powerinspired.com/ag500-ac-regenerator-500w-with-pwm-fan-control-p-1811.html

I have been using it now for about 1 month, and I have not had any interference or noise problems since.  I am very happy.

Buying an AC regenerator was not as expensive as I first thought, and it really gives you confidence that the AC feeding all your equipment is clean & stable; so if you have any problems in your system you know to look at other things than power.

I guess it is the same game for all of us: little by little improving our systems, ensuring that we get good clean power, stable signals without interference etc...  All of our separates rely on AC power without dirty DC mixed in with it, so it seemed like a sensible idea to get a rock solid power supply.

I hope that information helps you a little?

regards,
Carlos

Updated this post below, after reading some of the comments that came afterwards:
(seems like some people below might be making comments about the AG500, without looking at the link I provided above)
I'll add some details here (so that people who don't own the unit I have can see that the unit does what they think it doesn't do).
I hope i interpreted their quick comments correctly?

Power Inspired's AG500 AC ReGenerator is a true online double conversion system providing the highest degrees of power protection, with a stable unwavering high quality power waveform for sensitive and critical loads.

Unlike other online units the AG500 is practically inaudible making it suitable for where high quality power is required but without the noise, and unlike other systems the bypass is disabled by default ensuring that raw mains power never reaches your equipment, only clean pure power at all times.
Features
Pure Sinewave Output
Stable 230V Output
Low Noise - Virtually Silent
Rack Mountable
Lightweight & Small Footprint
LCD Display
Adjustable Fan Speed (Manual)
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2016, 10:35 pm by RootScript »

rodge827

« Reply #11 on: 7 Mar 2016, 11:23 pm »
I bought a Tripp Lite SU2200RTXLU UPS on Ebay for $225.00. The unit has was NOS and came without batteries which ran another $55.00. The Trip Lite units are very noisy and I swapped out the Delta fans for Nexus Quiet Fans which ran about another $55.00. This UPS does double conversion where the incoming AC is converted to pure DC and then back to AC.
The UPS is dead quiet in my room and took my system to new heights. Everything across the board improved, but if your gear has limitations it will only improve within them. For example I have an Astron 12vdc LPS which sounds very good now, but the Paul Hynes LPS is still superior.

Chris

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 8 Mar 2016, 12:43 am »
Yes Angaria, I added a Ac regenerator to my system.  I suffered from 'noise' that was not static, it was sometimes noticeable on quiet songs with heavy basslines (entwined with the music), depending if certain wal warts (SMPS) were switched on in the room.
I bought AC Regerator new for £250 (about $350).  The one I bought is called a AG500, it has an adjustable fan (so it is pretty silent) & display, it maintains a rock steady AC supply, and also has a built in uninterruptible power supply battery (UPS).  You can mount it horizontal or vertical, and has 6 IEC power sockets to plug in your equipment.
http://www.powerinspired.com/ag500-ac-regenerator-500w-with-pwm-fan-control-p-1811.html

I have been using it now for about 1 month, and I have not had any interference or noise problems since.  I am very happy.

Buying an AC regenerator was not as expensive as I first thought, and it really gives you confidence that the AC feeding all your equipment is clean & stable; so if you have any problems in your system you know to look at other things than power.

I guess it is the same game for all of us: little by little improving our systems, ensuring that we get good clean power, stable signals without interference etc...  All of our separates rely on AC power without dirty DC mixed in with it, so it seemed like a sensible idea to get a rock solid power supply.

I hope that information helps you a little?

regards,
Carlos

Most of these cheap inverters/regenerators  usually generate square wave which is like smps wave,anyway my point being a mains type filter costing $5 does the same job... :green:

JDUBS

« Reply #13 on: 8 Mar 2016, 03:33 am »
Most of these cheap inverters/regenerators  usually generate square wave which is like smps wave,anyway my point being a mains type filter costing $5 does the same job... :green:

Spend a few bucks more and get a refurbed double conversion UPS for pure sine wave output!

-Jim

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 8 Mar 2016, 04:52 am »
Spend a few bucks more and get a refurbed double conversion UPS for pure sine wave output!

-Jim

haha yes sine ones are more expensive,again my point, mains is sine and it's free,ups have been developed for emergency situations and most importantly for computers,not high end audio,so please explain how is that is going to better the audio,most high end manufacturers don't say you have to use such device with their cd player,amplifier,etc in order to have low noise of that device,that device does what's necessary to have low noise

Thanks Jim... :thumb:

Poultrygeist

« Reply #15 on: 26 Mar 2016, 11:04 am »
I really like my new low profile Astron linear regulated with the TPA3116. One thing I learned is never buy a used Astron which too often has been run hard and put up wet by ham radio guys.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #16 on: 26 Mar 2016, 11:26 am »
A good C&C choice is the $30 Pyramid PS-3KS. I thought it an improvement over the laptop power bricks that you normally see with the TPA3116's.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-PS3KX-3-Amp-12-Volt-Supply/dp/B0002JTD2K

wushuliu

« Reply #17 on: 14 Apr 2016, 03:51 am »
I realize the first question probably belongs to another circle but since I'm looking at cheap and cheerful.....figure I'll ask this here.  IF this is too much OT, moderator, please feel free to redirect.

1. Why Linear Supply?  I'm not sure why we can't use regular power supply if they are relatively stable for one of the chip amps.

3. And why do people not use these types of linear supply as you can vary the voltage and amps?  it seem that the voltage will bev ery stable.

Something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Meter-Variable-Single-Output-Alligator-Included/dp/B006W209ZG/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1455176596&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=ten+tec+linear+power+supply

Thanks for any insight. I'm new to this LPS thing.

UL

Used astron on ebay highly recommended for tpa amps. If you search this has been covered in depth.

gychang

« Reply #18 on: 21 Apr 2016, 01:25 am »
A good C&C choice is the $30 Pyramid PS-3KS. I thought it an improvement over the laptop power bricks that you normally see with the TPA3116's.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-PS3KX-3-Amp-12-Volt-Supply/dp/B0002JTD2K

I have one and it is silent.