matched for what?

Roger A. Modjeski

matched for what?
« on: 21 Sep 2011, 10:12 pm »
I've written several posts on this topic, anyone interested in the finepoints of tube matching should read them. There is no such thing as a tube matched for everything so the buyer needs to inform the matcher what parameter needs to be matched. The problem here is that the customer often doesn't know what to ask and the seller probably couldn't match for it anyway. However all is not lost. The maker of your equipment should be able to tell you what kind of matching is needed. Unfortunately most tube matchers only match for one thing, Gm, which is basically useless. I imagine the converstion between the customer and seller goes like this..

customer  "Are your tubes matched?" 

Seller  "yes", how many pairs would you like?

THE END.

Here's another conversation about matching.

customer: Are your tubes matched?

Seller: Yes, of course, we always match tubes. Would you like them the same size or the same color.

customer: Huh?

Seller: Just kidding. What do you want them matched for, what parameter?

customer: I don't know, I've been told to ask for matched tubes. How do I know how you match them? I'm just told to ask if you do?

Seller: Of course we do, doesn't everyone?  We have a recently calibrated Hickok tube tester, it was the best ever made. We make sure the needle goes to the same place.

customer: Same place for what?

Seller: I don't know, we have some guy in the back that turns the knobs and looks at the needle. The numbers aren't important as long as they are the same. The meter has some big numbers and with the word transconductance under them. There are lots of numbers, we make sure they are the same.

customer: How close to the same?

Seller: The guy writes the number on the box then he puts similar numbers together. Let's not get too technical, they are matched, I assure you.

customer: Well if you say so, I'll take a pair?

Seller: How about the color?

THE END

Quoting Tom Stoppard in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. "We only know what we are told, and even that isn't true"

Here's what's true though unfortunately a bit complicated.

The simple and correct answer is: We match power tubes for Gm and Bias (two point matching) which is something I believe I was the first to discover around 1980. Now everyone claims to do it, though most don't do it right because they really don't understand it. Some have even instituted three point matching because that must be better than two. I can imaging matching for a great number of points (parameters) but it gets silly to match for things that normally don't matter like matching screen current (that's what the third point often is).

Traditionally power tubes were stuck in a fixture with a set plate voltage, screen voltage (often the same as the plate to make things simple) and the plate current was measured. Two tubes with the same plate current were then considered "matched". However, if the tube is used at a different plate and screen voltage than the test what would happen to that match. Answer: the tubes would no longer draw the same plate current, in fact it could be very far out of match.

What I discovered is that if both the plate current and transconductance (Gm) were matched in a pair of tubes they would "track" each other over a very wide range of plate and screen voltages. Thus a pair of output tubes used in a Dynaco ST 70 where the plate and screen (ultralinear connection) were at the same 475 volt potential would be matched at a much lower screen voltage of 300 volts in regulated screen amps like Audio Research. Since screen and plate voltages, not to mention bias voltages and cathode currents, are completely at the command of the amplifier designer one had to find a way to make a group of tests work for all.

Perhaps I was lucky to have seen this or perhaps I saw it because I like to measure things and design amplifiers. To my knowledge, most, if any, tube sellers don't design amplifiers. They either buy a Hickok or have someone make them a traditional tester, possibly with a computer to record the data, but my computer does much more than that. It actually sets each tube to a constant plate current before the test is made. Thus the bias and transconductance are measured at the same plate current for every tube.

The problem with the fixed grid bias test is that the tubes will settle at different plate currents. Measuring the Gm at these random plate currents will not produce the same results as measuring them at a constant plate current as Gm goes up with plate current quite sharply. I use 50 mA for most tubes as that is a good bogey value for many amps. Even though I run tubes in the RM-9 at 30 mA the matching holds very well. Proof of concept.

Other than for special applications like differential amplifiers or RM-9 input tubes, matching dual triodes is often a fools errand. What you want in a preamp tube is low noise and low microphonics. Of course we can match for gain (mu) if you know how the sections are used. In some preamps the  two tube sections are used left and right. In other preamps they are used one complete tube in two stages left and one right. In any case if there are two stages in cascade (one stage following the other) the gain is the product of the section gains. 

If you want to know more about tube matching, testing and selection have a look at five articles at:

http://www.tubeaudiostore.com/tubin1.html

Clio09

Re: matched for what?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2011, 03:02 pm »
I have a friend who has an early version of the RM-9. He was always having trouble with balancing the tubes and nearly all the ones he bought were extremely microphonic. You could easily hear the noise through his 106 dB speakers and just touching them make a ringing noise. I advised him several times to buy tubes from RAM, but for whatever reason he didn't listen. He swapped tubes so many times he eventually cracked the circuit board. My friend Jack repaired the amp using point to pint wiring. Even today, he still uses these noisy tubes. I once again advised him to get new ones from RAM. His response, they're too expensive. My response (censored) was given the number of years they would last and their performance versus what he was buying on eBay, the benefit/cost ratio was well in favor of the RAM tubes.

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2011, 05:31 pm »
Thanks for your efforts. The 6DJ8/6922 is a great tube and I continually expend great effort finding good ones. There was a two year period when I sent back all the new production from Russia. Every few months they would send me a few  hundred and for 2 years I sent them back, told them what was wrong, it was always something different. One production run was very noisy, then they fixed the noise in the next run but that run was horribly microphonic. Another run was way off for gain (mu) though the Gm was fine so those guys with the Hickok testers didn't even see that. I'm certain everything I send back gets sold to someone else.

About two years ago they got it right but who knows when they will do it again. After 30 years of buying, testing, returning these tubes I didn't pass up the opportunity to stock up. These are what I currently have in stock and they are the best I have seen since I started using them in 1978.

I hope someday your friend will try what I have to offer. Perhaps he thinks all 6922s are noisy and microphonic, sounds like he has rolled a good number of them, though I doubt he has gone through some 50,000 as I have in the past 30 years..

Clio09

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2011, 10:11 pm »
I should be out your way again soon. Maybe I'll just pick up a set from you and let him hear the difference for himself. If he passes on buying them I'll stash them. I'm sure at some point I could find a use for them.