The SB3/SPDIF output thread.......

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
Re: The SB3/SPDIF output thread.......
« Reply #180 on: 8 Oct 2011, 09:40 pm »
It has been brought to my attention that a certain "hobbyist" forum has discovered this thread. With the usual suspects, spouting their brand of expertise. I have no desire, to directly address those people, but for the rest of the readers:

If you think SPDIF is "digital engineering", just because the signal is 1s and 0s, then it is a free country. You are free to do so. If the fact you have to recover an embedded clock, with a PLL, doesn't make it "RF engineering", then please continue on the path you are traveling. Just do not disturb me, telling me I am wrong.

Let me put this in a way that even the most jaded can understand:

I have spent countless hours, trying to improve various products, that have an SPDIF signal involved. Without the use of a 20 GHz sampling scope, I would still be spinning my wheels.

"Did you say 20 GHz? Not 20 or 200 MHz? Are you sure?"

Yes, that is what I said because that is what I meant. I realize there are lots of "industry experts" who claim only 15 MHz of BW is needed.

Like I said, it is a free country.

Please, no e-mails or PMs, asking me questions about this. Post any questions here, and if I am amiable, they will be answered here. (Translation: anything contentious will be ignored. I am busy, and my time is limited.)

Thanks,
Pat

Whizzer

« Reply #181 on: 9 Oct 2011, 06:48 am »
'We're in the lab, cause we're scientists' (Curse;)

wushuliu

« Reply #182 on: 28 Jan 2019, 03:10 am »
I come back to this thread every now and again because it's great info. However, one unanswered question is for those of us who are more visual learners no drawing of the recommended circuits was provided (not complaining, mind you). I  have just done some playing around swapping out a Pulse transformer on a cheap xmos usb/spdif converter with a newava s22160 and I think have the circuit provided here right (even though I know it's probably far from ideal for this specific newava):

170r in series to the transformer primary input, 44R in parallel on the output, and 41R in series after the 44, correct?

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
« Reply #183 on: 4 Feb 2019, 08:07 pm »
Yes, those values should work, with that transformer. Probably a lot better than what any app note says should work.

wushuliu

« Reply #184 on: 4 Feb 2019, 10:03 pm »
Yes, those values should work, with that transformer. Probably a lot better than what any app note says should work.

Excellent. Thank you.