Poll

Looking at a lowther dx3 fullrange drivers or the hemp cones?

lowther drivers
1 (16.7%)
hemp cones
0 (0%)
other drivers
5 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

New member question

peter5

New member question
« on: 8 Apr 2007, 01:54 pm »
Hello all. I am looking at getting the lowther dx3 fullrange drivers in a open baffle. I have tried the fostex Fe 206e drivers not a good experience :(  To much of a low qts I was told. I am looking to get more into the fullrange seen. I have seen alot of hemp cones popping up now. I know of 3 companies that use it for fullrange range and Know of another that is coming out. So please help me out and let me know what you think? Thanks peter :green:

robert1325

Re: New member question
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2007, 02:17 pm »
I have not heard any of the mentioned drivers,  but if you want a more full-range driver be sure to check out the hawthorne audio SI's!

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2007, 02:31 pm »
If the Fostex FE-206E did not work for you, then the Lowther DX3 won't work for you either. The only way a totally OB design will produce decent bass with these types of full range drivers is by adding a 15 inch high efficiency woofer (maybe two) to fill in below a few hundred Hz or use a dedicated separate subwoofer to fill in this frequency range.

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2007, 05:26 pm »
Lowthers are more horn cabinet oriented and are expensive.  I say, if you want to plunge into OB world without much outlay, try some vintage 8" drivers such as the Lafayettes or even Altecs...I have my Altec 755Es in a small OB.  Mighty good, but lets say lite low end, but my present standard. 

I think as many out there, you are into the first time experimentation, thus, I believe that you need to get into it without too much invested.

The Hawthorne audio drivers seem like an excellent bargain for what they offer.

smbrown

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2007, 11:19 pm »
Vintage Electro Voice SP-12B, TRXB, etc. It's the way to go, baby!   aa

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2007, 06:40 pm »
A certain amount of cool factor and nostalgia exists regarding a vintage driver. Something you can't get when buying a new driver. If you decide vintage isn't your deal, go with the Hawthornes.

Bob

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #6 on: 11 Apr 2007, 07:03 pm »
I can attest to the beauty of the Silver Iris.  You won't go wrong with it and building a baffle for it couldn't be easier.  An 18" wide by about 3 ft tall(or even shorter)piece of plywood will get you started.  You could prop it up with some L brackets for building shelves or something simple like that.  Only take you an hour or 2, and you'll be impressed enough with the results to become a hardcore tweaker :o