bought stratas, now i need an amp

RawB8figure

bought stratas, now i need an amp
« on: 20 Oct 2007, 09:14 pm »
well i decided to buy strata minis. I need a stereo amp now. I was looking at the Harmon kardon HK3485. It is 120watts x2. I can get it for under 500$ . What else is comparable to it or better then it.

Thanks,

Bigfish

Re: bought stratas, now i need an amp
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2007, 09:17 pm »
Have you looked at used Parasound Amps on Audiogon?

Ken

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2007, 09:32 pm »

RawB8figure

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2007, 02:11 am »
i heard of parasound, is it any good. I was also looking at NAD. 

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2007, 02:29 am »
i heard of parasound, is it any good. I was also looking at NAD. 

Very. See if you can find the lower wattage halos

Airborn

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2007, 04:30 am »
I think the Odyssey amps will work great so I'm told, but may be over $500.  At that price you might want to check out the Onix SP3 tube amp.  Its only 38 wpc, but drives my Strata Minis very well.  You can usually find them for about $500 on Audiogon or you can check AV123 for specials.

jn316

« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2007, 08:35 pm »
I really like my Bel Canto s300i with the Minis. Much better than the H34 amp w/ them, IMO. On audiogon, you can get one for around $1200.
Good luck!

nhpm510

• Trading refs: A'gon, Emo boards same user name
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2008, 02:52 am »
I really like the Jungson DI200 or Roksan caspian for SS amplification :-)

Angaria

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2008, 03:15 am »
second the Khartago rec, also, could try a gainclone

KS

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2008, 07:43 pm »
What if all amps sound the same?  That, is, no sound of their own as long as the amp is one of hundreds of quality amps with no audible distortion, and the amp is being operated within its capabilities?

Consider:  "Any amplifier, regardless of topology, can be treated as a “black box” for the purpose of listening comparisons. If amplifiers A and B both have flat frequency response, low noise floor, reasonably low distortion, high input impedance, low output impedance, and are not clipped, they will be indistinguishable in sound at matched levels no matter what’s inside them."
http://theaudiocritic.com/blog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=38&blogId=1

Of course, operating at "matched levels" is critical for proper evaluation.  One unit that is even subtlety louder will seem to sound better.  

The characteristics some feel makes certain amps (or other equipment) sound better to them might be the low level of distortion that equipment puts out...sounds better to some folks over certain loudspeakers, and that distortion (coloring of the sound) does not sound good to other folks or over other loudspeakers.   

So, I'd buy the lowest cost quality amp I could find that has adequate power, and avoid any amp that has any characteristic sound of its own. 

Mariusz

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jul 2008, 08:36 pm »
What if all amps sound the same?  That, is, no sound of their own as long as the amp is one of hundreds of quality amps with no audible distortion, and the amp is being operated within its capabilities?

Consider:  "Any amplifier, regardless of topology, can be treated as a ?black box? for the purpose of listening comparisons. If amplifiers A and B both have flat frequency response, low noise floor, reasonably low distortion, high input impedance, low output impedance, and are not clipped, they will be indistinguishable in sound at matched levels no matter what?s inside them."
http://theaudiocritic.com/blog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=38&blogId=1

Of course, operating at "matched levels" is critical for proper evaluation.  One unit that is even subtlety louder will seem to sound better.  

The characteristics some feel makes certain amps (or other equipment) sound better to them might be the low level of distortion that equipment puts out...sounds better to some folks over certain loudspeakers, and that distortion (coloring of the sound) does not sound good to other folks or over other loudspeakers.   

So, I'd buy the lowest cost quality amp I could find that has adequate power, and avoid any amp that has any characteristic sound of its own. 

Amp without coloration, low distortion, limitless power, excellent quality for $500  :scratch:............what else? I can not wait to hear this wonder. :drool:

Cheers

Mariusz

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #11 on: 5 Jul 2008, 09:01 pm »
Personally i think this will do you up just fine with out a lot audio voodoo

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1219941489

no affiliation with the seller but i like rotel amps, good quality nice sound

ED

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jul 2008, 09:16 pm »
"What if all amps sound the same?" Wouldnt that be nice? But it just aint so. No need to start this debate I listen to hundreds of amps a year and even amps in the same topology family and even within the same product line sound different. There is much more than just measured performance. Lucky for us you dont need to spend a ton to have good sound. That little ATI 1202 for sale around here a few days ago is a great perfoming SS amp for less than $500. Others mentioned the Odyssey, and I would add, Creek, Parasound Halo, Arcam, Linn, YBA, CIA and even a Panny digital reciever on the low low end for SS amps, There might be a few modestly powered tube amps in this range but I personally feel the threshold is about 1K for that unless you go used or vintage.

Mariusz

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jul 2008, 09:20 pm »

ED

Not a bad amp , I like Parasound Halo better though. It sells for around 1K new and can be had for $600 used. it is not perfect...but what is?

WFS is also great but it is more then double new.......have not seen them on used market. If you see them .....grab it while it is still HOT.  :bomb:

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 5 Jul 2008, 10:07 pm »
Well that's just it. There are so many choices as pbrstreetgang list a bunch of good amps theirs pros and cons to each. A couple of years ago when i joined AC i was in the same shoe's and posted a smiler thread and bought a rotel RB-991b from one of the members for a good price. Nice amp and i still have it as a back up. I have seen to many times that a thread like this ends up in  You need to up your budget to $???? to get any thing good or if you could swing 3X what you have you could get ???? so I thought i would throw something in the ring near his price range.  I am semi looking for ss pre for the summer and the Parasound P3 halo is on my short list if i could only find one used at the same time as i have some audio money.  :lol:

Ed

ED

Not a bad amp , I like Parasound Halo better though. It sells for around 1K new and can be had for $600 used. it is not perfect...but what is?

WFS is also great but it is more then double new.......have not seen them on used market. If you see them .....grab it while it is still HOT.  :bomb:

Mariusz

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jul 2008, 10:57 pm »
Ed, you are right and I did not mean to suggest an amp that is twice as much as the original budget. I suggested Wire For Sound for its sonics alone and if you can find it used .........GREAT. The thing is, I have not seen any up for sell on used market.
Parasound Halo is one great amp...........actually all amps from that series are great. Even the Parasound A 23 at 125wpc is a great buy and worth every penny..........used for $600 is a steal IMO.  Rotels and NADs are also very good amps.   However I would start with single Halo A 23 and if needed bridge into mono configuration for 400wpc.
I do not see how you could go wrong with that setup....but it is just me. YMMV.

Best regards

Mariusz

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jul 2008, 11:04 pm »
Ed, you are right and I did not mean to suggest an amp that is twice as much as the original budget. I suggested Wire For Sound for its sonics alone and if you can find it used .........GREAT. The thing is, I have not seen any up for sell on used market.
Parasound Halo is one great amp...........actually all amps from that series are great. Even the Parasound A 23 at 125wpc is a great buy and worth every penny..........used for $600 is a steal IMO.  Rotels and NADs are also very good amps.   However I would start with single Halo A 23 and if needed bridge into mono configuration for 400wpc.
I do not see how you could go wrong with that setup....but it is just me. YMMV.

Best regards

Mariusz

Agree,  the Parasound is great for the same money

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 5 Jul 2008, 11:25 pm »
I was wondering what WFS stood for  :oops:  :lol: One of these days I'm going to start a thread on audio acronyms. You can't tell the players with out a score card. I was not directing my comment at pbrstreetgang or Mariusz but making a statement about life in general at AC wither its $500 amps or $5000 speakers the suggestions for some reason the thread always seem to indicate you need to spend more than you were planing. Those Halo A23 are sharp looking amps not that does anything for the sound  but the WAF will be better than a couple of gain clones from Tim Rawson.

ED

Mariusz

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jul 2008, 11:44 pm »
Ed,
WFS stands for company "Wyred 4 Sound" . It is the same guy that stands behind Cullen products and mods. His work can be found in Genesis, PS Audio, Camelot,  BGW and CAT among others. It is USA base company located in California. Walter of Underwood is the lone dealer and supporter of these great amps. They can be configured in anyway you want and power requirements to suit the most demanding systems.

Cheers

Mariusz

Trafford

« Reply #19 on: 9 Jul 2008, 12:40 am »
What about a NAD C352. They can be had for $500 and are rated at a conservative 80w.