Bicycling Off-Road

coke

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #980 on: 5 Sep 2012, 02:19 pm »
Here's a quick slow motion vid we made a couple weeks ago.  Check out the suspension compression  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJpdlhg9d84

jackman

« Reply #981 on: 5 Sep 2012, 02:25 pm »
Thanks Coke, you have some cool videos posted! 

I found this one and it makes me want to find some cool trails...not possible around here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uslwIp48Bw&feature=related

Also, check out the cool stuff these guys are doing on hard-tail bikes back in the 90's.  Does anyone remember Shawn Palmer?  No rear suspension (on the DS runs), no disc brakes, no helmet on the practice runs.  These were fun days of mountain biking. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI4e7REs-5Y

Levi

« Reply #982 on: 5 Sep 2012, 03:08 pm »
Those are great videos. 

JoshK

« Reply #983 on: 12 Sep 2012, 12:43 pm »
Hey Dave,

Are you using your burly AM rig for park riding, or do you have a purpose DH sled?

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #984 on: 12 Sep 2012, 04:16 pm »

That's one fast little dog. Must be in awesome shape. Our dogs would chase deer instead of riders. Now they will get fat in an urban setting.

The trail reminds me of Baseline where we just moved from. We were 25 minutes away from the mountain. Now it's 2 and 1/2 hours away. Sniff.

Rocket_Ronny

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #985 on: 12 Sep 2012, 04:25 pm »
Hey Dave,

Are you using your burly AM rig for park riding, or do you have a purpose DH sled?

I have a Session 88 for DH, my AM bike can ride most anything, but the DH bike is a lot more fun and doesn't tire you out as quick. There are some shuttle trails around where a DH bike is really nice to have too.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #986 on: 12 Sep 2012, 04:26 pm »

JoshK

« Reply #987 on: 12 Sep 2012, 07:03 pm »
I am having Steve build me some wheels with Canfield's 9T hub for the DH rig I am building.   Same sort of concept.  Use a 28T up front to acheive a pretty decent ratio with just one chainring.   Also a lot of clearance. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #988 on: 12 Sep 2012, 07:21 pm »
Wow that is a cool new development.  I have been out of bikes for over a decade, so when I recently rebuilt an old frame, I discovered all this talk of single front chainring designs etc.

Looks very interesting, I wonder when it will trickle down past the 5K bikes?  2 years?

Do the ranges you end up with, still work for XC riding, or do you need ridiculous legs and lungs to get uphill with those 1x9 or 1x10 designs?

jackman

« Reply #989 on: 12 Sep 2012, 07:31 pm »
Since it's a 10 speed, and they probably have a really big (pie plate sized) big ring on the cassette, they can dispense of the front DR.  It's similar to how SRAM can provide wide range gearing on their road bikes and not need a triple.  If the jumps between gears are not too bad, and the bail out gear on the rear cassette is big enough, it's an awesome idea.  No front DR and no cross chain issues. 

This is a logical extension.  They went from triples to doubles (cranksets) and now a single!  I'm sure they are adjusting the price upward to make up for lost sales of front DR's, chain rings and front shifters, because they will no longer be necessary with the new system.  I wish they did this for road bikes!  They are getting close but not there yet, as far as i know. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #990 on: 12 Sep 2012, 07:54 pm »
The XX1 group is going to be $1500 and you need to run every part for it to work... but it'll drop considerable weight off the bike and does not require a chainguide, which is huge because guides suck.

I'm looking at getting my AM bike back down below 30 lbs for next season, going to do some Super D racing. It's at 32 but I think I can hit ~28.5 with the XX1 group, an air shock and lighter bars/stem. My bike is also currently 1x10 (32 x 11-36) and it makes steep sustained climbs impossible, but at that gearing I can walk up the hill as fast anyway and I don't love to climb anyway.

Josh, what dh bike? Jedi?

mcgsxr

« Reply #991 on: 12 Sep 2012, 08:01 pm »
Thanks for the insights.

When you say the group is $1500, do you mean the chain, der, cassette, hub body thing, and shifter - you mean all the stuff to get that 1x10 to work properly. 

You don't mean a grupo for $1500.

So, tack on somewhere around $1300 more for a bike with it, since they would be deleting a few parts, and then upcharging the difference for the 1x10.

I wonder what the light XC bikes will end up at then?  There are already 4-5 inch full suspension Scott's at 22lbs or so as I recall, so those could get really light.

But, for those of us swimming in the 2K bike budget, this is just info for a couple of years I am guessing.

JoshK

« Reply #992 on: 12 Sep 2012, 08:50 pm »
I am building up a light DH bike around The One, with Boxxer and CCDBC.   I make my first trip to Blue mountain on Sunday with a local mountain bike club.   I'll be renting though as it won't be built by then.

jackman

« Reply #993 on: 12 Sep 2012, 09:03 pm »
I'm guessing you get the crankset, BB, right shifter (there is no left shifter), rear DR and brake levers.  The cassette is probably not included and probably very expensive.  Have you seen the prices of new cassettes from SRAM?  The new XG cassette is almost $400!

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-components/2012-sram-xg-1099-xx-cassette-6375.1735.0.html

I also bet the rear DR is going to be priced in the SRAM Red (the new Red) territory around $360. 

The high end Truvative Freeride crankset/bottom bracket 1x10 setup is around $700. 

The high end stuff is really getting crazy expensive.  One or two levels down is usually the sweet spot.  My numbers are just guesses because I haven't seen any prices for the new SRAM MTB 1x10 group. 

JoshK

« Reply #994 on: 12 Sep 2012, 09:18 pm »
Check out the 10 Speed Microdrive and Chain Guide package.   Not dirt cheap but more cost effective then SRAM's XX1.  $469 for the hub, convertion kit, microguide.   Still need a $60 chainring and a cassette.   Does not include the RD, which you can use whatever.  The SRAM XX1's RD looks pretty killer, but not at that price.

http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/store/shop-components

JoshK

« Reply #995 on: 13 Sep 2012, 01:39 am »
So I am going out to Washington the second week of October.  My sister is having our family's first baby.   It will be my first vacation, and I plan to get a bunch of riding in too.   My folks live in Chelan Washington way up in the mountains.    Their are hundreds of miles of snowmobile tracks which are anything but technical, but massive amounts of climbing.  There is a fairly nearby track of single trails which is meant to be modest climbing but not very techy, which kinda bores me. 

On the way over to my sis's we are going to stop off at Mission Ridge/Devil's Gulch and get shuttled to the top.  My dad has agreed to ride it with me.  We will rent.   Its about a 4K' drop over 11 miles but with 1000' of climbing also.   Meant to be a good XC ride mostly DH.    Then I am meeting up with a HS friend who lives in Rode Island now, but happens to be in Washington the same week and is a fanatic MTB'r.  We are going to do Duthie Hills together (look it up) its a XC set of trails with some epic FR trails built into it as well.    Then I will visit my sister in Washougal, WA, which is near Portland, OR and was thinking of hitting up the freeride park they have about 45 mins away. 

J-Pak

« Reply #996 on: 18 Sep 2012, 04:23 am »
Anyone here ridden any 650B bikes?

vortrex

« Reply #997 on: 18 Sep 2012, 02:33 pm »
Looking forward to SRAM XX1 for my AM bike...

http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/Ridden-SRAMs-XX1-Drivetrain-Simply-Incredible,4220/Slideshow,0/bturman,109

I'll be getting this too.  I've been running 1x9 for years now and will be around 18lbs on my new bike with XX1.

JoshK

« Reply #998 on: 20 Sep 2012, 12:29 am »
The XX1 looks great.  I am planning to rock the Canfield 9T, but it doesn't have the rear D tech that XX1 has.  I was just not wanting to drop that kind of cash on the setup.  Even though I paid enough for the rest of my bikes. 

Canfield One frame is suppose to come tomorrow.   Got some of the other parts already.  Chomping at the bit, but not likely to build it up before the end of lift season here.  Meanwhile, I should hear any minute whether my IBIS is down.  That will be my regular bike.

JoshK

« Reply #999 on: 21 Sep 2012, 04:37 pm »
I pick up my Canfield frame tomorrow from Fedex.   I got my Boxxer, X9 crankset, Deity bars already and many of the other parts are trickling in.

Anyone whose built up a bike from scratch (particularly DH) got any tips?   I watched some youtube  videos and I have the blue book.  Just thought since I've never built a bike before I'd ask for tips.