About David Hafler and more

avahifi

• Facilitator
    • http://www.avahifi.com
About David Hafler and more
« on: 27 Jun 2003, 05:49 pm »
The following is an exchange of correspondence I recently had regarding the passing of David Hafler, the founder of Dynaco.  I thought it might be interesting reading for all of us.  Frank Van Alstine

To: info@avahifi.com
Subject: David Hafler & the state of audio
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:04:01 -0400

>From: Frank Van Alstine
>Subject: Re: A Philadelphia notable passing
>Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 14:45:28 -0500
>
>Thanks for your message. I met David Hafler several times (but not
>for many years now) and found him to be a kind true gentleman. I
>regret his passing and regret that audio has been essentially
>"kidnapped and murdered" by the commercial "home intertainment"
>industry which operates on the "anything to make a quick buck today"
>principal.

Yes. In my opinion this is part of the "dumbing of America".  I work at Radio Shack ( for a little while longer anyway.) In 1971, when I was 14, I built an SCA-80 and later other stuff from Dyna, Hafler, and your company. I don't expect customers to build their own audio equipment like I did, or learn how to design it, like you did. I am continually amazed, however, at customers who hook up the "red white and yellow jacks"  (many now refer to cables as "jacks" too) from their TV to their Home Theatre and wonder why they don't get any sound. I have spent as long as 20 minutes explaining to them the conceptual difference between an input and an output and why this doesn't work. Likewise those who cannot figure out to run their cable box thru their VCR when they get tired of switching wires.  And then there was the one who called about their Caller ID phone showing the same thing as when they bought it. You have to peel the sticker off, ma'am...People who can't understand  the difference between an input and an output- or won't crack the instruction book with the  color-coded See-Spot-Run hookup diagram- don't represent a large market for quality audio. The "high end" doesn't help either- they further the image of audiophiles as elitist, status-obsessed kooks.

Here is a great example of what you are talking about in terms of anything to make a quick buck: Radio Shack has introduced a new line of "Fusion" cables; expensive looking cables in expensive looking packaging to compete with other overpriced cables like Monster. In the line is a "Gold Series" optical (Toslink) cable with a tiny gold plated ring around the tip. It sells for, I think, $35 or so. An optical cable does not conduct any electricity, so what the f*** does it need a gold tip for??!?!? To impress gullible consumers into paying extra for nothing, I suppose.

Its getting harder and harder to get the truth out that a
>music system is for reproducing the reality of music

The sad part is that, except for a few tone-deaf types whose music-listening experience consists entirely of listening to music designed to be played on boombox, walkman, and boom-car systems on those types of systems, many people still have an "a-HA!" experience when they hear music reproduced really well. But hardly anybody is trying to provide that. Education is too costly and a knowledgeable consumer is not what most businesses want. The "industry" needs a nation of dumbbells to keep those factory-sealed cartons moving. I know that everyone who walks into my Shack has to walk past the AV equipment, which is always on. In my four years there, not one customer has ever stopped and said "Hey, that sounds good!" And why would they?

I read an interview with Mr. Hafler  from Vacuum Tube Valley magazine where he seemed to share some of your sentiments. He was asked his opinion of the state of consumer audio. His reply: "You are not going to like my feelings, I'm afraid. There is a big ripoff going on. Companies are selling extra-high-priced equipment that has no benefit except higher profit for the company that sells it. I don't think many of these fads that come along are true advances."

By the way, I wonder if the current Home Theatre and shelf-system stuff has "slipped through the cracks" of the FTC power rating system. Some of this stuff  claims to have more power output than the UL sticker on the back says the unit consumes. After I "retire" from my current position soon, I am going to contact the FTC and ask if they are aware of this.

Sorry about the rant, I know you are busy. I just care about music reproduction too.  (Customer name withheld at his request.)