Existing canvas art...should I back it with 703?

chargedmr2

Existing canvas art...should I back it with 703?
« on: 8 Jun 2012, 03:55 pm »
Hey guys,

Currently I have no official room treatments in my listening/living room.  Sound is OK, but some music does sound a bit "messy." In the future, I plan to use standing 703 panels to address some of the first reflection points since the wall space in the room is already occupied with art/decorative things.  This brings me to my question:

While not ideal, is there any value in backing some of the art with 703?  There are two canvas panels (40" x 50") that are 1.5" deep.  They are not acoustically transparent; they are prints with a glazed finish. 

Thanks for the advice.

chargedmr2

Re: Existing canvas art...should I back it with 703?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2012, 11:41 pm »
I did a bit more searching around the forum, and while I can't find a definitive answer, it looks like there wouldn't be much benefit to backing my canvas art with 703 since most of the upper frequencies will continue to reflect. 

Hopefully, I'm getting this right. 

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2012, 04:42 pm »
You are correct, but you'd still get some absorption at low mid frequencies. A better solution is conventional absorbing panels covered with white fabric. Then you can use watercolors or dye to make a painting. That's what was done in the photo below.

--Ethan

chargedmr2

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2012, 06:21 pm »
Ethan,

Thanks for your response.  I may be able to do something like you describe for the rear wall behind and slightly above the listening position.  Unfortunately I don't have a dedicated room, so there are many things that I can't change. 

Given my restrictions, do you think backing the canvas art would be better than doing nothing at all, or might this make things worse given the relatively narrow frequency spectrum that would be affected?

I hope to measure the room soon, so this may help guide me.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2012, 02:59 pm »
Yes, rigid fiberglass behind canvas art will definitely be better than doing nothing.

--Ethan

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2012, 03:03 pm »
That's basically what the GIK Art Panels are I think.

http://www.gikacoustics.com/gik_artpanel.html

chargedmr2

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2012, 11:07 pm »

Similar concept, but in my case the canvas has a glazed type finish over a print, so I am sure that it's not nearly as acousticly transparent to the upper frequencies. 

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2012, 01:28 pm »
Similar concept, but in my case the canvas has a glazed type finish over a print, so I am sure that it's not nearly as acousticly transparent to the upper frequencies.

Actually the process we do is called dye-sublimation. 

chargedmr2

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2012, 02:10 pm »
Glen,

Thanks for the clarification.  Do you have any close-up pictures of a custom print?  I've found several pictures online, but none that really show the detail of what the print quality might look like in person.  I'm guessing that pictures with a lot of solid colors and consistency would work great whereas a large map, for example, might not?

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2012, 02:27 pm »
Glen,

Thanks for the clarification.  Do you have any close-up pictures of a custom print?  I've found several pictures online, but none that really show the detail of what the print quality might look like in person.  I'm guessing that pictures with a lot of solid colors and consistency would work great whereas a large map, for example, might not?

Actually the detail is outstanding. As good as any high end print you can get.  I have a picture from a artiest I had done (he sent me the digital file) and it came out looking perfect. Basically if the digital file is correct it will print it.  If you would like send me a quick email through the GIK site and I can send you a sample. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jun 2012, 03:49 pm »

That would be a broadband trap. The GIK 242, 244, Art Panel, etc...are membrane traps having a sealed airspace behind the rigid fiberglass layer:

Basically better performance versus a broadband trap.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 14 Jun 2012, 06:24 pm »
That would be a broadband trap. The GIK 242, 244, Art Panel, etc...are membrane traps having a sealed airspace behind the rigid fiberglass layer:

Basically better performance versus a broadband trap.

Actually what you are showing would be more like our tuned Scopus Bass Trap which is not broad band (velocity) but pressured based.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/gik_scopus_tuned_traps.html

jlafrenz

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jun 2012, 02:27 am »
Here is a picture of some panels I built with a custom print. The photo on the panels was taken by a point and shoot 7MP camera (same one I took a pic of the finish project with) and printed on what is called cotton duck (like canvas). I think they turned out pretty well. I had them printed by on online fabric company and they do offer swatches for purchase if you would like to see the quality before a big purchase. Up close the picture is not perfect, but people are not walking very close to these panels. From an average viewing distance most probably wouldn't tell a difference.

I am sure that some of the photos available by GIK or Real Traps are much higher quality than I started with and will only look better.

persisting1

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2012, 02:43 am »
Ethan,

Those traps look fantastic  :thumb:

abernardi

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2012, 03:16 am »
  Those are great looking!  Could you post how you made them?  What's going on in the bottom of the right two? 

Here's a few I'm just about finished with (took pix with phone, they look a lot better in real life), I used rock wool and it turned out pretty lumpy.  Anyone have any ideas how to deal with that?

I have to make a few more, I think I'll try some photos, great idea.

jlafrenz

« Reply #15 on: 15 Jun 2012, 04:07 am »
I am planing on getting together a tutorial of my build. What you see in the bottom right corner of the two panels is actually part of the picture. I was standing on a bridge across the Colorado river and my photo caught a small part of the guard rail. It is something I probably should have chopped off in the photo before making them. In the photo it just looks like white space, but it's not that bad in person.

If I could, I would go back and retake the picture, but that's probably not happening  :green:

abernardi

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jun 2012, 05:40 am »
Ah, I see it now.  :duh:  I thought the photo was misaligned and that was the insulation visible on the bottom

ptmconsulting

« Reply #17 on: 15 Jun 2012, 02:09 pm »
Here's 2 paintings my daughter drew on paper with oil paints. I have then pinned to the front of my GIK panels (perfect size fit BTW). Yes, I know they will reflect high frequencies, but I still get the bass absorption.

s_cervin

« Reply #18 on: 4 Aug 2012, 12:20 pm »
Here is a picture of some panels I built with a custom print. The photo on the panels was taken by a point and shoot 7MP camera (same one I took a pic of the finish project with) and printed on what is called cotton duck (like canvas). I think they turned out pretty well. I had them printed by on online fabric company and they do offer swatches for purchase if you would like to see the quality before a big purchase. Up close the picture is not perfect, but people are not walking very close to these panels. From an average viewing distance most probably wouldn't tell a difference.

I am sure that some of the photos available by GIK or Real Traps are much higher quality than I started with and will only look better.

So glad to see this post!  While mtn biking in Moab I took a similar picture with a small point and shoot.  I had my brother work the graphics side to confirm it would good on a panel.  Now I just need to send it over to GIK.  Looks great!  My pic is from a memorable trip and one of those cool shots that is a right place right time.  Can't wait to get it!