Hagerman Line Conditioner question

sushimaster

Hagerman Line Conditioner question
« on: 10 Apr 2013, 07:09 am »
I'll make this quick. I'm trying to build the Hag Line Conditioner http://www.hagtech.com/pdf/conditioner.pdf.
The line filter from mouser, part 437-100A4 is now discontinued.
Can I substitute Digikey part: 364-1063-ND? http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/F1299AA10/364-1063-ND/1869595

Also, from what I gather, I do not connect the ground wire from the four outlets to the load side of the filter?
Just wanted to be clear before I embark. Thanks.

hagtech

Re: Hagerman Line Conditioner question
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2013, 07:26 am »
do not connect the ground wire from the four outlets to the load side of the filter?

What?  Did I say that?  The Earth from input power cord should go to line filter inputs and chassis and to the Earth on all outlets.  The filter looks ok, but it only rated for 10 amps.  It would be better to use a larger one. 

jh

sushimaster

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2013, 07:08 pm »
Thanks for the clarification on the grounding! My misunderstanding.
I'll bump the amperage up to 30.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2013, 11:45 pm »
Would it be useful to use one of these types of devices in the actual component (amp, pre, whatever) between the iec inlet and the power transformer?

hagtech

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2013, 06:17 am »
Yes, it can be.  However, watch out for possible magnetic interference.

jh

Brinkman

« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2013, 09:47 pm »
Jim, I have a couple questions:

The filter looks ok, but it only rated for 10 amps.  It would be better to use a larger one.
The actual filters specified in the line conditioner .pdf are Kobiconn 437-10CA4 which are rated at 10A. The typo in the original post was 437-100A4. Did that lead you to believe you had specified 100A filters? I ask because I'm looking to replace my wall outlet and the nicer ones seem to spec out at 20 amps.

Also, would it be detrimental to add some metal oxide varistors to the line conditioner to add surge protection for solid state devices?

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2013, 10:39 pm »
Really MOV surge suppressors are better at the main breaker box ( or service entrance ) of the house.

Occam

« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2013, 10:55 pm »
So how do you install a whole house, service entrance, surge suppressor?

First, you buy a house.....

poty

« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2013, 11:11 am »
Sorry if I interimposed before Jim's answer...
I'm looking to replace my wall outlet and the nicer ones seem to spec out at 20 amps.
Your mains spec depends not only on wall jack parameters, but on wiring capabilities, so you should be sure you'll not overstressed your home electricity wiring.
Also, would it be detrimental to add some metal oxide varistors to the line conditioner to add surge protection for solid state devices?
Varistors are nice devices so you can put them between the fuse and the filter to achieve your goal easily.

Brinkman

« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2013, 05:01 pm »
Really MOV surge suppressors are better at the main breaker box ( or service entrance ) of the house.

Duly noted, however, I recently moved into an older duplex with shared water & electrical mains. As a rental unit I probably won't be doing any modifications to the electrical, outside of changing out the outlet that feeds the power conditioner.

Varistors are nice devices so you can put them between the fuse and the filter to achieve your goal easily.

Thanks Poty! Hopefully Jim will chime in with his two cents...

hagtech

« Reply #10 on: 10 Aug 2013, 10:18 pm »
I don't believe the MOVs will do anything except during a voltage surge (lightning strike or back EMF). 

jh

poty

« Reply #11 on: 11 Aug 2013, 06:36 pm »
I don't believe the MOVs will do anything except during a voltage surge ...
The surge protection was the initial purpose of installing the varistors.

Brinkman

« Reply #12 on: 30 Aug 2013, 05:39 am »
The filter looks ok, but it only rated for 10 amps.  It would be better to use a larger one. 

jh

Okay, I am still curious what the suggested current rating is for the filters in the line conditioner. I can find filters with higher ratings (20, 25, 30, 40, & 60 Amps), but it's hard to find any with dual stage filtering above a 20 Amp rating. So what's more important?

hagtech

« Reply #13 on: 30 Aug 2013, 05:41 pm »
Good question.  I have not done enough testing to answer it.  Except that obviously the current rating must be high enough to handle whatever load you have...

jh