uDSD using too much power

triumph

uDSD using too much power
« on: 1 Oct 2016, 02:04 pm »
I tried to plug my uDSD to my Mac computer today, but I get a message saying all USB power has been stopped because it is using too much power.  USB power is restored when I unplug the uDSD.

What to do?

srb

Re: uDSD using too much power
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2016, 03:37 pm »

The NuPrime uDSD should only draw 150mA which is well below the 500mA capacity of a standard USB port.  While it could be a uDSD problem, if you search this error you'll find it's not that uncommon for Mac computers.

(1) About a ~ third of users solved their problem by trying a different USB cable.  Sometimes a connector will go bad or have a bit of foreign material in the plug (or even in the jack).

(2) Another third solved the problem by resetting the SMC (System Management Controller).

(a) Desktops or removable battery Macbooks - shutdown and unplug the power cord (and remove the battery if applicable), then hold down the power button for ten seconds.

(b) Non-removable battery Macbooks - shutdown, connect the power supply, then simultaneously hold down Shift + Control + Option + Power keys and release simultaneously.

(3) Unfortunately for the remainder, their was a problem with the mainboard and needed replacement.  Many of those would get the error message without any external USB devices connected.

If (1) or (2) doesn't fix the problem see if you can successfully connect the uDSD to another computer's standard 500mA USB port to see if it's working okay or for some reason actually drawing too much power.

Steve

triumph

« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2016, 12:51 pm »
I used another cable than the one provided.
It still said the device was using too much power, but after I closed the popup window, the uDSD showed up in the Sound panel, and I was able to select it.

Thanks!

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2016, 05:09 pm »
This is the first time we have ever heard a computer behave that way. I use uDSD on my MacBook Pro.
Which Mac are you using?
What you can do is to use a powered USB hub.
Jason

triumph

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2016, 07:42 pm »
My MBP died a few weeks ago, so I am using a little Mini until I figure out what I want to get.

So far, changing the cable seems to work well.