Bugle?Capacitance as seen by cart.

Habs Fan

Bugle?Capacitance as seen by cart.
« on: 18 May 2011, 01:42 am »
I plan to use a Bugle with an Ortofon OM5E.Ortofon recommends a 200-600pf  capacitive load but I do not see the usual small shunt cap across the Bugles input.Would it be benificial to add say a 200pf poly parallel to the 47k res at the input?

analog97

Re: Bugle?Capacitance as seen by cart.
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2011, 02:35 am »
Try it first, then make a decision.  I doubt it will make a difference, since the Bugle was designed well.  I have used a Bugle with a number of tables and carts and it really is a solid performer, especially with MM carts.  God luck.  Report your findings.

Habs Fan

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2011, 03:26 am »
Thanks for the reply A97 I won't install it ,but was curious as I have seen other phono pre's with adjustable capacitance and wondered if it was a necessity.

hagtech

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2011, 08:15 am »
Well, if you want to add the capacitance, you can.  There are two blank resistor spots on the board that are not normally used that will load the cart.  However, you should forget what you are told and listen instead (does that even make sense?).  Use your own ears to discover which delivers the most natural sounding treble.  My guess is that zero added capacitance will set you free.  Ignore the equations.  Use your ears.

jh

Brinkman

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2011, 08:45 pm »
If you want to lower the amount of capacitance you have to begin with, try a pair of RCA cables from Blue Jeans Cable. They use a cable manufactured by Belden that has a capacitance of only 14pF/ft.

Habs Fan

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2011, 09:56 pm »
Well, if you want to add the capacitance, you can.  There are two blank resistor spots on the board that are not normally used that will load the cart.  However, you should forget what you are told and listen instead (does that even make sense?).  Use your own ears to discover which delivers the most natural sounding treble.  My guess is that zero added capacitance will set you free.  Ignore the equations.  Use your ears.

jh
Thanks,It was'nt something I was told just an observation that many phono pre's had adjustable capacitance and Ortofon recommended it be within a certain range.My assumption being that a certain amount was necessary for proper treble balance from the cart.But as always I will let my ear be the final arbiter and will try it sans capacitor.

Aerobat

« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2011, 11:30 pm »
I use my Bugle as is, with short, low capacitance cables, and I enjoy the treble very much.  I wouldn't think of "dulling" the sound.

poty

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2011, 07:12 am »
I'm agree with the arguments that only listening should be the main argument in using input capacitors in a system. The signal on a vinyl disk is already greatly pre-equalized, the cartridge has its own mechanical resonance frequencies in addition to the electromagnetical resonances (which is rather more complex than a sum of passive capacitances, inductances and resistances of a cartridge, tonearm wires, cable and input stage), it's even possible that the cartridge is made to assume some dumping at high frequencies in mind... So it is fifty-fifty you need the input capacitor or not.