Starting over

Shawnlh

Starting over
« on: 19 Jan 2018, 06:47 am »
Hello all, I just joined AudioCircle as it looks like great place to find/share helpful info, tricks and tips.

Looking at starting from scratch (again) and hoping the folks here on AudioCircle can offer some gentle guidance.

Here's my old system It no longer exists and I have move, so the space has changed.

What I'm looking at this time is again all analogue. I Have my heart set on on a Decware Torii Mkv, or perhaps a ZMA. Source will be ClearAudio Innovation Conundrum i'm in at the moment is weather to run Spatial M4's, or an offering from Zu's line. My room dimension are odd to say the least, 14w x 19l x 8h with the 8 going to 10 then back down to 8 as we progress towards the back of the room. From the front, one side has a half side wall, the other wall is a counter, so only half height, and probably won't see any major treatments.

Unfortunately i'm not in an area that will allow me to demo these speakers, so I need to rely on outside input. This is where you fellas come in.

Thanks, and looking forward to many wonderful conversations.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Starting over
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2018, 01:35 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Shawnlh.  :beer:

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2018, 01:39 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  We always like helping people spend money.  :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2018, 01:58 pm »
Hello and selcome to AC, Shawnlh.  Have fun building the new system!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2018, 02:44 pm »
Welcome.

Pick speakers before amps, period.  And don't buy (speakers especially) sight unheard.

So can you estimate how big (cubic feet) the effective room volume is with the open sides?  Which way will you be setup, across the 14 foot wall or the 19 foot wall?

Open baffle speakers have a completely different presentation than monitors (a diffused 'wall of sound' vs. a discrete images) and your room may not be big enough to work properly (5 - 6 feet needed behind and more in front) especially if its a shared space.  I've heard Spatials as Axpona 2016, but they didn't 'do it' for me.  Spatials thrive under lots of watts, listen to owners here.  Haven't read of anyone trying them with Decware amps.

Personally I unliked Spatials less than Zu (which have always sounded harsh/non-involving to me).  But the presentation will be more familiar to you than the Spatials.

I could have been described as a DecHead 20 years ago, but as a 'speaker guy' couldn't find satisfactory speakers that would work well with the 2 wpc amps that Decware had at the time, so I moved on from the company.  Did look into the Torii/ZMA years later but Steve recommended the ZMA for my speakers which was beyond my budget and their complex designs didn't appeal to me. 

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2018, 03:32 pm »
Welcome to AC!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2018, 06:55 pm »
Open baffle speakers have a completely different presentation than monitors (a diffused 'wall of sound' vs. a discrete images) and your room may not be big enough to work properly (5 - 6 feet needed behind and more in front) especially if its a shared space.

A diffused wall of sound rather than discrete images? I’ve own a number of both boxed monitors and open baffle speakers over the years and that simply isn’t so. Most monitors emit a wide dispersion pattern so that the waves uncontrollably bounce off several points and surfaces before they reach your ears. With controlled directivity the waves flow direct from the speaker to the ear, which makes for very specific and focused image localization. Properly set up with appropriate ancillaries, the imaging with Spatial OBs is second to none.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2018, 07:45 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle Shawnlh :thumb:
Very nice system.

2oldcranks

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2018, 08:14 pm »
Welcome
Spatials will work GREAT in your space,end of story.I have M4TMs in a 11.5 x 15 room.
Put them on long wall,put them on short wall,both work great in my space.
Mine are still"rippening" but I am a happy camper.Besides,you probably have,like myself,had ALOT of boxes and cones,Try the Spatials,lifes too short to do the same thing over and over and over and over and :lol:
Enjoy the "HUNT"
Regards
Craig