SOLD *** Modified Onix XCD-88 CD Player *** SOLD

1BionicEar

SOLD *** Modified Onix XCD-88 CD Player *** SOLD
« on: 5 Jun 2010, 11:40 pm »

It pains me to do this, but I am selling my modified Onix XCD-88 to fund the purchase of a more expensive CDP.  For those who don’t know, this is the same unit as the highly-regarded Music Hall CD25.  Purchased new from Underwood HiFi/Parts Connexion as a Level 1 modification for $850.  Current price to upgrade a stock unit to Level 1 is $380.

I upgraded to Level 1+ by adding Burr Brown OPA-627 op-amps for an additional $100.  These were subsequently upgraded to the newer Burr Brown OPA-827 op-amps.  The stock 2604s are also included.

Unit is in excellent condition and has performed flawlessly.  I have the original box, manual, and remote.  I will post some pictures shortly.

Here is description of the modifications performed by Parts Connexion:

     BlackGate output coupling capacitors
     4 x MultiCap 1% polystyrene film and foil capacitors are added in the analog filter stage
     6 x Riken Ohm ½ and one watt signal path 1% gold-plated leads carbon comp resistors are added in the signal path
     4 x IR Hexfred ultra-fast soft recovery diodes are installed in the power supply
     1 pair of premium machined Vampire direct gold-plated-over-copper-body Teflon-insulated RCA female jacks replace the cheap stamped jack modules
     4 small EAR brand Sorbothane isolation feet with new mounting hardware.
     2 sheets of SoundCoat chassis damping material are cut & applied where applicable to control chassis resonances
     4 x DH Labs 99.999% pure solid-core long-grained silver output signal wires with foamed teflon tape wrap dielectric.
     WBT high silver content (4%) solder used throughout
     3 hours labor

The BlackGate caps have been replaced with Rubycon ZA/ZLs.

Asking price is $550 plus actual shipping.  Payment method is PayPal with no fee.

« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2010, 01:14 am by 1BionicEar »

1BionicEar

Re: FS: Modified Onix XCD-88 CD Player
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2010, 03:16 am »

Need to sell. The Raysonic arrived yesterday.

New price is $499 plus actual shipping.

Thanks.

1BionicEar

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2010, 02:22 am »

Let's try this again.

Reduced to $449 plus actual shipping.

1BionicEar

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2010, 06:53 pm »

Front Panel

Rear Left with Upgraded RCAs

Rear Right with Parts Connexion label

Two Remotes with Scratch in Between

Scratch on Top Touched up with Sharpie

OPA827s on Brown Dog Adapters & Upgraded Caps

1BionicEar

1BionicEar

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jul 2010, 03:21 am »

I realize that av123's reputation is in the crapper, but what gives? This is a highly-regarded CDP built by Shanling. After 26 days and 2 price reductions, not even a single comment? I am feeling a serious lack of love.

Is the economy? Is it the stock market? Is it the World Cup? Is it the BP oil spill? Is my price STILL too high?

Somebody please give me some feedback.

darenchen

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jul 2010, 06:56 pm »
It's the economy , men.  I would had jumped on a deal like this without even thinking.  Now, I'm considering seriously if I should pay my bill first or buy another cdp to add to my other two Music Hall players line up.  Rocky

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 2 Jul 2010, 09:47 pm »
I would normally be looking for a CDP as my unit is beginning to have issues.  But I am on the fence about going with a computer based system.  CD's may be yesterdays technology and therefore, slowing sales.
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2010, 01:58 am by S Clark »

1BionicEar

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jul 2010, 01:14 am »

Thanks for the feedback.

drphoto

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jul 2010, 03:34 am »
I think S. Clark may have nailed it. Hey I have $20K tied up in film cameras that are now worth squat. It happens when the technology changes.

BTW: even the stock player sounds decent. I'm sure this one is very nice.

Hope it works out for you.

1BionicEar

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jul 2010, 07:53 pm »

Thanks.  I guess I will have to be more patient.  I don't do that as well as I used to. 

1BionicEar

Re: SOLD *** Modified Onix XCD-88 CD Player *** SOLD
« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug 2010, 01:15 am »

SOLD!!!