Some cryo data...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Some cryo data...
« on: 5 Sep 2013, 04:40 am »
I just cryoed a batch of guitar pickups.  There were eleven of varying types: humbuckers and single coils.

I did measurements on them before and after the immersion process.  Measurements were taken on two separate occasions using Fluke and B&K meters both times, measuring L,C,R meters on both occasions.  These measurements were repeated after the cryo work using the same meters.  On both occasions contacts and wires were cleaned with IPA before measurements to assure good contact.

What I was measuring is the delta (deviation/change) from the measurements before and after cryo.  Results were the same (standard deviation) seen in many tests on guitar pickups before using an identical regemin.  Here are the results of an average of the multiple DUT.  After cryo:

L decreases 1%

C decreases 1.5%

R decreases 1.5%

These results have remained the same in over 100 pickups cryoed.  Some configurations show more delta than others, but the standard deviation remains the same.

Aggregate weight of all of the samples remains the same every time.

What this indicates is an overall compaction of the DUT.  This will give exactly the results that the measurements indicate.  This would equate to an increase in density.

I keep trying to figure all of this out and quantify what is heretofore unquantifiable.  Someday, maybe.

I need a gauss meter to start checking magnets next.  I just don't want to be disassembling all of these pups.

Dave

dflee

Re: Some cryo data...
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2013, 01:28 pm »
Dave
I'll show my dumbassity here and ask: are these measurements audible to the ear and is the change permanent.

sts9fan

« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2013, 01:50 pm »
Is that a good thing? Who's to say that's better then pre? 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2013, 02:31 pm »
Great info Dave!

Have been seeing multiple pickup mfg's cryoing magnets and coils for new sound qualities.  This gives insight into why!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2013, 03:49 pm »
Dave
I'll show my dumbassity here and ask: are these measurements audible to the ear and is the change permanent.
Don,

Yes the changes are quite audible and are permanent.

Primary changes are a richer harmonic series and slightly increased output.  The result is a smoother less harsh pickup.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2013, 03:52 pm »
Is that a good thing? Who's to say that's better then pre?
Depends on what the end customer is looking for.  Tele bridge pickups lose the icepick characteristic and bark more like Broadcaster pups.

"Who" would be the end user... you know - the guys that pay me to do this.  Oh, yeah: and me.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2013, 03:58 pm »
Great info Dave!

Have been seeing multiple pickup mfg's cryoing magnets and coils for new sound qualities.  This gives insight into why!
It is amazing just how many manufacturers are doing this on the QT.  About half of what I do is for a custom winder that specializes in Peter Green style PAFs.  He doesn't tell anyone how he gets what he does out of his pups.  I have a pair in my new SG that replaced the Les Paul that got stolen.  I'll send you a pic of the guitar... as soon as I buy a new camera to replace the one that got... well, you know.

Dave

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2013, 04:04 pm »
It is amazing just how many manufacturers are doing this on the QT.  About half of what I do is for a custom winder that specializes in Peter Green style PAFs.  He doesn't tell anyone how he gets what he does out of his pups.  I have a pair in my new SG that replaced the Les Paul that got stolen.  I'll send you a pic of the guitar... as soon as I buy a new camera to replace the one that got... well, you know.

Dave

Dave,

Looking forward to pics when you can.