why do you like certain rock guitar players

mcgsxr

Re: why do you like certain rock guitar players
« Reply #20 on: 15 Nov 2016, 11:29 pm »
John Squire - The Stone Roses.  A distinctive sound that penetrates the song for me.  I loved "Fools Gold" and the whole Turns into Stone album.  Played it tons in university.

I was in Taiwan when the album Second Coming was released.  I did not hear it right away.  I wa back in Toronto visiting my brother and when a song came on in the pool hall I stopped.  I knew it was John Squire immediately.  The song was the first cut called "Breaking into heaven" which opens with a long wandering solo.  Bought that album the next day.  Have all their stuff by now. 

Bluesy but electric.  I love his sound.

Agree with many of the choices already noted.  Especially Gilmour.  Enjoy his Floyd work, and his solo efforts. 

dflee

« Reply #21 on: 15 Nov 2016, 11:42 pm »
Gotta throw Neil into this party. Young has a style that really drives it home.
Electric or acoustic.
David Hidalgo really knows his way around the fret board. Have always been a fan of Los Lobos.
Steve Hackett is another and I enjoy John Fogerty.
I can recognize these guys immediately because of their style..

drphoto

« Reply #22 on: 15 Nov 2016, 11:48 pm »
Yeah, I love Fogerty and Young. That stripped down raw sound is the sort of stuff I'm playing on guitar......not that I'm coming up with anything approaching their talent!

Oh yeah, Steve Hackett, I grew up on brit alt rock bands. 'Fifth of Firth' is has one of my all time favorite solos. I've listened to that track countess times.

I've never heard of John Squire. Will check. Thanks. That's what i want from this discussion.

orientalexpress

« Reply #23 on: 16 Nov 2016, 02:04 am »
I been a George Lynch ,Randy Rhoad fans in my younger day,Recently I been listening to Gary Moore or John Five  :o.holy crap. :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #24 on: 16 Nov 2016, 02:24 am »
Lot of great guitarist mentioned here, glad to see Lindsay Buckingham noted.  A few I was a bit surprised not to see listed yet, my personal fave, Stevie Ray Vaughan.  Rory Gallagher and Robben Ford are both outstanding.

I saw/heard a solo by Prince playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps that was one of the best solos I have heard.

Best,
Ed

drphoto

« Reply #25 on: 16 Nov 2016, 03:52 am »
Good one Ed. Stevie Ray. My god. How the hell do you learn to play like that? Used super heavy strings and banged the hell of them but was somehow able to control sound by muting all but the ones he wanted to sound. And sound it did. Guy had some soul. Texas Flood just blew my mind. Obviously he used some Hendrix inspired ideas, but he created a whole new thing.

KLH007

« Reply #26 on: 16 Nov 2016, 05:08 am »
Nils Lofgren, when "The Boss" picks you to replace Steve van Zandt you'd better be good.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #27 on: 16 Nov 2016, 09:29 pm »
Trace Bundy on acoustic guitar.  He plays in ways that are, uh, non-traditional to say the least.  But 100% awesome.  Here's his very cool cover/mashup of "lose yourself" and "kashmir". 

Warning - he's a terrible singer :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VojWdX5xz8

His cover of "Sweet Child O Mine" shows his use of the guitar as a percussion instrument even better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOoMWnLxHH4

Wind Chaser

« Reply #28 on: 17 Nov 2016, 01:21 am »
How about a woman - Jen Turner.

drphoto

« Reply #29 on: 17 Nov 2016, 01:27 am »
cool, more to check out. Not heard of Trace Bundy or Jen Turner.

mca

« Reply #30 on: 17 Nov 2016, 03:01 am »
Couple more female guitarists to add to the list that have both played with Alice Cooper. Orianthi and Nita Strauss.

dynaflo

« Reply #31 on: 17 Nov 2016, 03:03 am »
Have been listening to Jeff Beck's "Loud Hailer" cd recently and marvel at his tone.

GentleBender

« Reply #32 on: 17 Nov 2016, 12:37 pm »
If you're a fan of Stevie Ray Vaughan, you should check out Magic Sam. This guy could play!

Burson

• Restricted
  • Burson Audio Staff
    • Official website
« Reply #33 on: 17 Nov 2016, 06:27 pm »
David Gilmour is my pick.
love his style and aura

dflee

« Reply #34 on: 17 Nov 2016, 06:48 pm »
There are so many good axemen out there but what sets them apart is two fold for me.
One: the ability to take a rather difficult progression and make it look and sound so damn easy and
natural and two: putting together a progression that I would have never thought would go together.
Both of these are what make that solo or song stick. Hearing a young Steve Howe play Clap
on the Yes album to this day floors me. Stevie Ray's Little Wing to me is one of the greatest
solos around and Martin Barre's work is legendary. I live for the guitar piece that strikes a cord in me.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #35 on: 17 Nov 2016, 06:53 pm »
Couple more female guitarists to add to the list that have both played with Alice Cooper. Orianthi and Nita Strauss.

I remember seeing this version of Voo Doo Child by Orianthi and thinking this girl can freaking rock

https://youtu.be/mK6tcgsKgps

GentleBender

« Reply #36 on: 17 Nov 2016, 08:53 pm »
Don't forget Slash from Guns N' Roses and Buckethead who also played in Gun N' Roses for a short time too. Both are totally different as far as styles go.

bentconvert

« Reply #37 on: 17 Nov 2016, 09:10 pm »
Nels Cline from Wilco. He can play gentle and sweet, giant rock god solos or thrash/noise, whatever is called for. 

brother love

« Reply #38 on: 17 Nov 2016, 09:28 pm »
Have been listening to Jeff Beck's "Loud Hailer" cd recently and marvel at his tone.

This album has grown on me. A lot harder edged rock than has been typical of his later releases.

Nels Cline from Wilco. He can play gentle and sweet, giant rock god solos or thrash/noise, whatever is called for. 

Agreed. Very versatile. I've seen Wilco a couple times & Nels was incredible live.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #39 on: 17 Nov 2016, 09:33 pm »
In the past I liked Robert Fripp and Phil Manzanera.