why do you like certain rock guitar players

drphoto

why do you like certain rock guitar players
« on: 15 Nov 2016, 06:08 am »
Ok, first off, I think rankings are sort of silly. Everyone has their own idea of what is good. What is yours?

I just love David Gilmour. I think he took basic blues progressions and turned them on their head. He's not super fast or flashy, but he has tone to die for and a very lyrical way of playing solos.

At the other other end of the spectrum, there's Mark Knoffler with his impeccable finger style work. First time I heard "Sultans' was back in the days when we got music of FM radio. I was pulling up to my house. As we had no cell phones then, I ran in and called the radio station to find out what was that song. Bought album next day.

Another finger style lead player is Lindsay Buckingham. That dude is crazy good.

Keith Richards. The master of the guitar lick.The oh so memorable open G 5 string parts. Not a lead player. But damn.

Yeah, I like Eddie VH. Not generally impressed by the 'shedder' guys. Impressive, I guess, but boring musically for the most part.

Anyway....who's your faves and why?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: why do you like certain rock guitar players
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2016, 07:57 am »
Mick Taylor, the finest musician the Stones ever had.  Never developed that solo career he wanted after the Stones, but was with them through their arguably best years. 

Jimi Hendricks was the greatest guitarist I've had the pleasure to hear.  A tortured soul for sure, but man could he play.

And you already mentioned my third favorite, Mark Knoffler, agree with everything you said.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2016, 10:17 am »
Jeff Beck as his playing has just kept improving over the years
Frank Zappa as his playing was always so inventive and
Dave Edmonds as his technique is just so great.
And Johnny Winter for slide guitar!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2016, 10:26 am »
Johnny Winters plays really fast.
Dave Gilmour compose extraordinary music for guitar and rehearses thousands of hours before record.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2016, 12:30 pm »
Ry Cooder is the guy I like.  Rock, Cuban, Middle Eastern, Country... the guy can do it all. 
Here is a fun duel w/ Steve Vai from many years back   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD4o3VDnftI

Another duet with V.M. Bhatt ... Ganges Delta Blues, just because he left the limits of Rock long ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2ygVcw4SCk

Dmason

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2016, 12:32 pm »
All of the above, and for years I have been especially impressed with Steve Howe.

milford3

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2016, 02:23 pm »
My vote is for Joe Satriani for his blues work. 

decal

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2016, 03:29 pm »
My fave is Derek Trucks, so smooth and soulful, makes every note count and a monster slide player. Most of my faves tend to be finger pickers like Trucks, Knopfler, Beck, etc.

mca

« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2016, 04:19 pm »
David Gilmour, his guitar sound almost puts me in a trance. Robin Trower, love his blues rock sound and he makes the best faces when he plays. Eric Gales, best player no one knows about. Jeff Healey, I was lucky enough to see him live three times, just loved his sound and guitar playing style, especially when he stood up and played. 

drphoto

« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2016, 05:04 pm »
Hey you guys have great taste, but you already knew that.   :wink: Hell yeah Steve Howe. I've seen Yes 7 times I think. It's amazing they can pull that off live. All those dudes are badass.

Forgot about slide players. How about Dwayne Allman? The guitar bits in Layla are just perfection. And speaking of Allmans....Dicky Betts. Another guy who puts lyrical, musical playing above technique.

Hell, let's don't forget Chuck Berry! He created the modern rock guitar style I think. And he could flat out tear it up.

Then there's the acoustic players, I saw Rodrigo y Gabriella at Cochella in '07 and all I can say is 'wow'. They did a cover of 'Wish You Were Here' and the entire audience sang the lyrics. It was one of 'those' moments.

And then Don Felder. Has it all. Dude can do 2.5 stop bends and make it look easy. Double stop bends....check. The solo in Hotel California may be the best rock guitar solo....ever. IMHO.

keep 'em coming people. I more want to learn and see if you offer up new people for me to check out, rather than just espousing my opinion.

MttBsh

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2016, 05:21 pm »
A few lesser known names that have impressed the heck out of me, especially live: Martin Barre (of Jethro Tull), Al Dimeola, John Mc Laughlin (I was never the same after seeing the original Mahavishnu Orchestra in late 1972), Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult, Jimmy Herring, Warren Haynes, Leslie West. All of these guys can shred with the best, but choose to play with an economy of style and are absolute masters of vibrato and tone.

brother love

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2016, 05:30 pm »
Some great guitarists mentioned so far. I would add Steve Vai, Django Reinhardt & John McLaughlin to the list.

I always preferred the Brits guitar-wise. My fave will always be hands down the incredible Jeff Beck. His finger picking style,  mastering of the whammy bar & that gorgeous tone are something to behold (my avatar is an early pic of Beck jammin' away in fact).

Hendrix will always be my second favorite. Jimi really turned things on their ear when he exploded on the scene. So inventive & daring playing left-handed no less.

Another guitarist that I love is Jack White. Plays with a lot of emotion.

Edit: As I was typing, J. McLaughlin added in post before mine.

Mike B.

« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2016, 05:35 pm »
I really like most of those named. Especially Clapton, Taylor, and Hendrix. Also Page, and Trower.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2016, 07:21 pm »
Buddy Guy.  Yeah he's blues, but what is rock?  Rock, especially guitar based rock, is basically re-purposed and re-packaged blues.  Plus, it's Buddy f-ing Guy! 

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #14 on: 15 Nov 2016, 07:35 pm »
Steve Morse. Eight consecutive Guitar Mag's Guitar Player of the Year awards. No longer eligible for quite some time.

Doc

drphoto

« Reply #15 on: 15 Nov 2016, 07:42 pm »
Hendrix for sure. That dude sorta redefined rock guitar playing. His style of a melodic noodle mixed in with rhythm playing has influenced countless players. Plus, he gave of some iconic songs.

Beck has that rare gift of technical virtuosity while still playing with emotion and feel. He can blow you away with skill, but you don't get the impression it's just to show off. I got 'Blow by Blow' when I was in high school and still love that album.

Jack White. Hmm. He's an interesting choice. Because he's sort of the anti guitar hero. Absolutely stripped it down to the bare minimum. Escews fancy equipment....I mean he plays super cheap guitars. But still makes great butt kicking music. "Seven Nation Army" was an instant classic. That guitar riff just burrows into your brain.

I think Tom Morello has done some really great stuff. Man can shred with the best, or just make weird noises, but it serves it's place in the songs.

drphoto

« Reply #16 on: 15 Nov 2016, 07:48 pm »
On Steve Morse......I have a part time job running sound for local bands, but when I was in college I did stage lighting. I was setting the venue up for the nights gig and was playing the Dixie Dregs through the PA. I just thought (and still do) that they were the bees knees. The lead guitar player in the local band that night came up and introduced himself and said "I just had to meet the person who knows about the Dregs".

We've been friends for 30 years and his current band has been one of my clients.

Thank you for the nod to one of my favorites, Steve Morris.

GentleBender

« Reply #17 on: 15 Nov 2016, 07:51 pm »
So many great guitarists to choose from with as many different styles and signature sounds. I have to throw Carlos Santana in as someone that I can recognize in mere moments due to his style and enjoy. Mike McCready of Pearl Jam is also an amazing guitarist with some quick fingers that make some blazing solos.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #18 on: 15 Nov 2016, 08:21 pm »
Buddy Guy.  Yeah he's blues, but what is rock?  Rock, especially guitar based rock, is basically re-purposed and re-packaged blues.  Plus, it's Buddy f-ing Guy!
Rock is eight to the bar. The Blues is twelve. Usually.

Doc

BobRex

« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov 2016, 09:30 pm »
Richard Thompson.