Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?

Poultrygeist

Re: Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?
« Reply #500 on: 15 Mar 2011, 04:39 pm »
No, the speaker capped feet stay in place on the granite tile even when I slide it around by the top.

jazzchaos

« Reply #501 on: 16 Mar 2011, 07:10 pm »
Here's mine with the threaded gliders from Herbie's Audio Lab:

They fixed my vibration/bass issues, sound great, and look great.

Sean

Poultrygeist

« Reply #502 on: 16 Mar 2011, 07:59 pm »
Sean,

Do you have a crawlspace?

jazzchaos

« Reply #503 on: 16 Mar 2011, 10:49 pm »
yes...we have a 4ft crawlspace. i am seeing a very big improvement in bass definition.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #504 on: 17 Mar 2011, 12:29 am »
I added the granite tile bases as I was still getting some reflection off the floor.

Counting the one inch base ( granite tile + ribbed mats ) my Omens are raised three inches in front and two inches in the rear.

When sitting in my sweet spot the drivers are pointed at my ears and the backward tilt offers better sound dispersion vs no tilt.

The Omens have such full sound I enjoy listening from adjoining rooms. Has anyone else noticed this?

djbnh

« Reply #505 on: 17 Mar 2011, 12:39 am »
The Omens have such full sound I enjoy listening from adjoining rooms. Has anyone else noticed this?
Yes; my spouse especially noted this.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #506 on: 18 Mar 2011, 01:08 pm »

Here is a picture of two of my favorite full rangers.

sebrof

« Reply #507 on: 18 Mar 2011, 01:34 pm »

2 of my favorite speakers that happen to be full rangers (Zu Omen, Tekton Katz Meow)

Poultrygeist

« Reply #508 on: 18 Mar 2011, 02:22 pm »
Now that you have the Omens will you keep the Meows?

sebrof

« Reply #509 on: 18 Mar 2011, 04:16 pm »
Now that you have the Omens will you keep the Meows?
Yes, I have 2 systems. I have the Omens in the main rig now, I like the more bass I get with the 10" drivers. But I'll swap the Katz in and out I'm sure. Both are great speakers.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #510 on: 19 Mar 2011, 03:59 pm »

I'm currently building these horns so it will be interesting to see how they compare to the Omens.

Sam-fi

« Reply #511 on: 19 Mar 2011, 08:10 pm »
Here is a pic of my current setup - things will be changing a lot very soon. I just bought a Squeezbox duet and a Sony XA5400es - I am looking at phono-pre amps now.

Things are a little messy right now, excuse that. Notice I put some granite tiles under the speakers. Bass and imaging became more focused. As you can see, placement is so that the tweeters are ear level and point maybe a foot or two behind the head. I find this opens the sound stage a little and give a nice balance to the sound. I also moved them a little closer to the wall and this gives me a great tonal balance. The 10 watt 300b gives plenty of punch. The whole system is very resolving - that is why I am upgrading my sources now.
\
Sam

Poultrygeist

« Reply #512 on: 21 Mar 2011, 12:23 am »
Sam,

I'd like to hear more about your 300B. I'm considering one as well as a 2a3c.

Sam-fi

« Reply #513 on: 21 Mar 2011, 02:20 am »
I love it! I have tried about 6 different amps with the Zu's and this is the one I am going to stick with. It has led to a few system changes around it - I can sound too smooth with certain cables/combos and it does not have the drive of the push-pull amps.
But it has tremendous "prat" and is great with all genres and recording I throw at it. Unless you are one that is peeved buy not having that final 5% of rawness or drive I could whole heatedly recommend the 300b. I think zu and 300b are a match made in heaven. I am still tweaking things - maybe the rawness is hiding somewhere (I don't miss it too much) but as is there is plenty of energy in the recordings AND things still go louder than I can handle without distortion. Zero listening fatigue.

I have not tried it, but the 845 may give you that extra rawness without sacrificing those precious SET qualities. Then again it may not be as pacey or holographic as the 300b so I am not forcing myself to go out and find one. Too much of a chance and I am happy with what I have.

The 2a3 sounds like something that would be similar.

The BT 300b are very extended and holographic and the zu's have responded very well to every change up the chain from it.

I just got some new sources and will be swapping cables for a while. We shall see how the sony will handle "rawness"

Feel free to pm me,
Sam

Poultrygeist

« Reply #514 on: 21 Mar 2011, 02:45 am »
What make/model is your 300B?

Gopher

« Reply #515 on: 21 Mar 2011, 02:46 am »

I have not tried it, but the 845 may give you that extra rawness without sacrificing those precious SET qualities. Then again it may not be as pacey or holographic as the 300b so I am not forcing myself to go out and find one. Too much of a chance and I am happy with what I have.

I'm running with the best of both worlds using 300B (Treasures) to drive 845s (845B/845T Pavanes--unsure of preference). 

One thing I'm finding more and more is that the Zus do like some extra power.  I'm looking into purchasing a solid state integrated for Summer time listening and to have a nice contrast to my tubes.  The Redgum RGi120 in particular has been calling my name since I recently borrowed it from a fellow ACer.

sebrof

« Reply #516 on: 21 Mar 2011, 12:54 pm »
I love it! I have tried about 6 different amps with the Zu's and this is the one I am going to stick with. It has led to a few system changes around it - I can sound too smooth with certain cables/combos and it does not have the drive of the push-pull amps.
Hello Sam,
What other amps did you try?
I'm running my standard Omens with a DIY 2A3 amp and the combo is excellent, but I've only tried a couple of other single ended amps and a 150 watt vintage SS Yamaha so I don't have a lot to compare to.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #517 on: 22 Mar 2011, 12:55 am »
sebrof,

How many watts does your DIY 2A3 make?

I'm looking at a Dared MP-2A3c that makes 8 per channel but wonder if I'd need a little more for the standard Omens?

sebrof

« Reply #518 on: 22 Mar 2011, 01:35 am »
sebrof,

How many watts does your DIY 2A3 make?

I'm looking at a Dared MP-2A3c that makes 8 per channel but wonder if I'd need a little more for the standard Omens?
FYI - The Dared is rated at 8 watts maximum on the dared US website. I think the max you'll get continuous from a 2a3 SET is about 4.5 watts which is what my DIY amp is rated at. I expect the Dared is about the same.
I really like my 2A3 / Omen combo, it's darn near perfect for me but I always warn people that it may not be for them.
Small room, 85 - 95 db loudness. If that sounds like you then a 4 watt amp may be plenty of power. Big room and real loud? I would recommend against SET, or at least low power including 300b.
What's your room size and how loud do you listen?

Sam-fi

« Reply #519 on: 22 Mar 2011, 01:58 am »
I have to say, my room is quite large. And my 8.5-10 watt 300b SET goes loud enough to where it is quite uncomfortable to listen.

Sam