Hypex Ncore Amps Announced

Rclark

Re: Hypex Ncore Amps Announced
« Reply #40 on: 19 Feb 2012, 06:35 am »
Apparently this guy Bruno is some mathematical wizard and has taken understanding of these circuits to some new level with these.

Honestly I want to hear your speakers! I hope I  get to rmaf, it will be my first, like a kid at Disneyland.

yetis

« Reply #41 on: 19 Feb 2012, 02:02 pm »

As most including you likely know, Theta is serious high-end, not "mainstream" or entry or mid-level. 

Ncore DIY model is 200/400/600Wrms @ 8/4/2 Ohms and rated to 2-Ohms if employing one Hypex SMPS600 weper channel (or rated to 5 Ohms for one SMPS600 per two amp channels).  Hypex offers no volume discount and no OEM support for this DIY amp, so highly unlikely OEM will employ it.  It's a special DIY-only product.     

OEM get the 1200 amp, 400/800/1200Wrms @ 8/4/2 Ohms with appropriate PS.  Also, best I can tell Hypex offers no pre-engineered OEM PS for the 1200 amp, meaning the OEM must supply the PS (obviously the OEM PS affects power/current specs...it could be linear or switching mode).    ).   

I get all that.  However the original post implied a seismic shift in the world of amplifiers.  If Bruno can be trusted,  some got a glimpse of the 1200 a while ago.  Someone long enough to develop a linear power supply and develop a whole new product.  If its so revolutionary, it certainly seems to be taking its time.
I think that people like class A products because they sound the best, not because they are so massive and energy inefficient.       

yetis

« Reply #42 on: 19 Feb 2012, 02:05 pm »

Within time California will decertify sale of class A and likely all or most class AB linear amps, and possibly the same for the EU (though the EU deals with other problems currently, such as its future existence).   

Really!   Big brothers hand gets a little longer!  If your willing to pay for the current, why is it big govs business, what I do with it!   What a terrible direction we are going.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #43 on: 19 Feb 2012, 02:59 pm »
Really!   Big brothers hand gets a little longer!  If your willing to pay for the current, why is it big govs business, what I do with it!   What a terrible direction we are going.

This has been an informative thread from the beginning. Let's stay on topic and away from forbidden (politics) discussions. If you haven't done so yet, I suggest you look at the rules for posting here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=37305.0

HT cOz

« Reply #44 on: 19 Feb 2012, 03:40 pm »
I've also heard from trusted sources that the new D-sonic amps are something special.

Great times for class D :D

Rclark

« Reply #45 on: 19 Feb 2012, 06:39 pm »
Indeed, seems like the heyday of class A and the giant space heater may soon be coming to a close. I missed out on a huge era. My first real amp.is a tripath and then probably to this next.

bummrush

« Reply #46 on: 19 Feb 2012, 07:11 pm »
I think I'll stick with what Nelson Pass has said and done   Been there done that.
People have been saying dig amps are the bomb since 2007 and with every new itineration is another claim to fame.

Rclark

« Reply #47 on: 19 Feb 2012, 07:20 pm »
Yeah but, this is no longer 2007.  :)  And each iteration has become better and better since then. Lately you've had the ClassD SDS modules competing at a high level, and now apparently Ncore takes the performance to the very tip top, beating super high end amps. Still want to see more user experiences and reviews, but for me, this tech is very exciting. It seems I will get to experience the full potential of my speakers.

yetis

« Reply #48 on: 19 Feb 2012, 07:51 pm »
I think I'll stick with what Nelson Pass has said and done   Been there done that.
People have been saying dig amps are the bomb since 2007 and with every new iteration is another claim to fame.

I completely agree.  I only wish it didn't take 45 min for his amp to "warm up". 
I will try everything.  I was attracted to Ncore hype just on the claims on the internet.  Hoping it turns into something more.

Rclark

« Reply #49 on: 19 Feb 2012, 08:02 pm »
What exactly is it you are "hoping" for? The amps are available, you can try one right now if you want (currently sold out, but you can still place an order). The gist I get is if more OEM's don't build expensive amps with the modules, you will be unimpressed somehow. Wierd, I don't get your angle.

The amps are here, available, whether Krell or whoever decides to attach their name or not.

yetis

« Reply #50 on: 20 Feb 2012, 12:23 am »
What exactly is it you are "hoping" for? The amps are available, you can try one right now if you want (currently sold out, but you can still place an order). The gist I get is if more OEM's don't build expensive amps with the modules, you will be unimpressed somehow. Wierd, I don't get your angle.

The amps are here, available, whether Krell or whoever decides to attach their name or not.

The thing is I cannot try one. I cannot buy a 400 due to lack of supply.  Which is not an issue as I would want the 1200.   Which I cannot buy as I have to wait for some commercial outfit to do it.  At this point, it cost me $12,000 to try out two channel!  12k gets you some pretty spiffy amps. I guess I don't understand the marketing\strategy here, or the hype.  No angle, just impatient!!!!!

Rclark

« Reply #51 on: 20 Feb 2012, 12:38 am »
Haha now that makes much more sense. Which speakers are you running??

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #52 on: 20 Feb 2012, 12:51 am »
The thing is I cannot try one. I cannot buy a 400 due to lack of supply.  Which is not an issue as I would want the 1200.   Which I cannot buy as I have to wait for some commercial outfit to do it.  At this point, it cost me $12,000 to try out two channel!  12k gets you some pretty spiffy amps. I guess I don't understand the marketing\strategy here, or the hype.  No angle, just impatient!!!!!
you need only wait 3 weeks before you can buy an nc400.  w/200/400/600w into 8/4/2 ohms, i am not sure why you would insist on wanting the 1200.  you will be able to build a pair of 400-based monoblocks for ~$1500-$2k.  while certainly not chump change, it seems not an unreasonable amount to spend for these amps if they're anywhere near as good as claimed.  and, you would likely be able to re-sell w/o taking much (if any?) loss, if they're not to your liking...

ymmv,

doug s.

OzarkTom

« Reply #53 on: 20 Feb 2012, 01:11 am »
Why are there so many high powered class D amps out there, but only very few small wattage class D amps? If anyone follows the audio reviwers, most of their speakers they rate at the top of the list has a sensitivity of 95DB and higher. You don't even need a 50 watter to drive those speakers loud.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #54 on: 20 Feb 2012, 01:28 am »
Why are there so many high powered class D amps out there, but only very few small wattage class D amps? If anyone follows the audio reviwers, most of their speakers they rate at the top of the list has a sensitivity of 95DB and higher. You don't even need a 50 watter to drive those speakers loud.
i must respectfully disagree w/the notion that "most of their speakers they rate at the top of the list has a sensitivity of 95DB and higher."  in fact, if you averaged the db rating of "rewiewers top speakers", i wouldn't be surprised if the average rating was 90db or even less.

however...  i can't imagine something like the nc400 being unable to drive 99% of these speakers!   :lol:

and, class-t amps, which are a class-d derivative, are plentiful, and low power...

doug s.

studiotech

« Reply #55 on: 20 Feb 2012, 01:41 am »
People have been saying dig amps are the bomb since 2007 and with every new itineration is another claim to fame.

I happen to know a very famous mastering engineer who switched from a Pass amp to some based on the original Hypex modules.  I can tell you that they sound excellent.  And Bruno is kind of the godfather of good class D technology.  If someone is gonna improve it even further, he's the man.

Greg

OzarkTom

« Reply #56 on: 20 Feb 2012, 01:50 am »
i must respectfully disagree w/the notion that "most of their speakers they rate at the top of the list has a sensitivity of 95DB and higher."  in fact, if you averaged the db rating of "rewiewers top speakers", i wouldn't be surprised if the average rating was 90db or even less.

however...  i can't imagine something like the nc400 being unable to drive 99% of these speakers!   :lol:

and, class-t amps, which are a class-d derivative, are plentiful, and low power...

doug s.

Just curious. I have been playing around with the 32 watt TBI Millenia Class D amp on a 24V battery system. And even on 92DB speakers, this amp will blow my ears off. I believe more companies should follow this path. DC driven always sounds better than AC driven.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #57 on: 20 Feb 2012, 02:10 am »

Bruno is kind of the godfather of good class D technology.  If someone is gonna improve it even further, he's the man.

I wonder if he was looking over his shoulder to Canada and Anthem, or is it the other way around. Anthem has developed a high powered Class D, but the price is high if for only one amp at around $3,700.00 I believe.

http://www.anthemav.com/products/anthem-statement/amplifier/m1-monaural/m1-monaural-amplifier

Rocket_Ronny

srb

« Reply #58 on: 20 Feb 2012, 04:01 am »
I wonder if he was looking over his shoulder to Canada and Anthem, or is it the other way around. Anthem has developed a high powered Class D, but the price is high if for only one amp at around $3,700.00 I believe.

Too rich for my blood, but if I was shopping in that high-class neighborhood (Bryston 2 X 7B-SST2 @ $10,200, 2 X 28B-SST2 @ $19,200, etc.), I would certainly want to at least audition them.

I also like the compact size and weight and idle power consumption at just over 60W compared to > 400W.  But I would worry if 2,400W @ 3 Ohms was enough juice!

Steve

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #59 on: 20 Feb 2012, 04:33 am »

Nice pict.

I wonder if someone could correct me on the price of the Anthem? Anyone know the street price? Or more importantly, anyone hear the thing?

Rocket_Ronny