Dulcet

CMM

Dulcet
« on: 15 Dec 2003, 03:21 pm »
I was visiting Ref 3a web site and noticed they now have posted information concerning the new Dulcet.  Is this speaker in dealer showrooms?  Has anyone heard this speaker?  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks.

cyounkman

Re: Dulcet
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2003, 10:01 pm »
Quote from: CMM
I was visiting Ref 3a web site and noticed they now have posted information concerning the new Dulcet.  Is this speaker in dealer showrooms?  Has anyone heard this speaker?  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Hi there.
This info has been on the Ref3A site for a while now. I have an email from a dealer that the model is supposed to be in (selected?) showrooms as early as this month.

I haven't heard it, and don't know anyone who has. They were not on display at the '03 Montreal show, although they made an appearance at CES 2002, where the photo below was taken.

I will see if I can sniff out any other info...

CMM

Dulcet
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2003, 10:36 pm »
Thanks for the response concerning the Dulcet.  I will keep looking for new Dulcet information.  The entire Ref 3a line, especially the De Capo and now the Dulcet , has me interested.  Unfortunately, I live in an area with no dealers, so I can not audition the Ref 3a line.  I have basically owned only four different speakers in 14 years; JPW Sonata, Epos M12, Spendor S3/5, and Spendor S1.  I am thinking about new speakers in spring, something a little more full range.  Reference 3a, Living Voice, Reynaud, Triangle, and Merlin are on my list.

cyounkman

full range, etc.
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2003, 03:03 am »
Quote from: CMM
I have basically owned only four different speakers in 14 years; JPW Sonata, Epos M12, Spendor S3/5, and Spendor S1.  I am thinking about new speakers in spring, something a little more full range.  Reference 3a, Living Voice, Reynaud, Triangle, and Merlin are on my list.

Hi again.
'a little more fullrange' than what? I'm not really familiar with any of the specific models you've owned. If you're looking for full-range (enough)from a standmount, the De Capo is a good choice; not sure yet on the Dulcets, of course, but according to size and specs and so forth they probably won't go as deep or as loud as the DC's.

As far as the other options you mentioned, I have heard good sound from a lot of them... Hi-Fi+ editor Roy Gregory uses both the De Capo i's and the Living Voice Avatar OBX's as references; several of the Reynaud and Triangle models reputedly work well with low- to mid-power amplification. I've heard that the Merlins need a bit more power to open up, but not from first-hand experience. There is a thread in here somewhere about the Merlins... here... davehg owns a pair and seems to like them better than what he's heard of the DC's...