LIO AVC/Tubestage combo module - coming August!

tme110

Re: LIO AVC/Tubestage combo module - coming August!
« Reply #80 on: 24 Jan 2017, 02:35 pm »
It looks like Telefunken is selling brand new matched pairs of the E88CC for $100, I'm guessing they are no match for the vintage variety?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #81 on: 24 Jan 2017, 06:33 pm »
It looks like Telefunken is selling brand new matched pairs of the E88CC for $100, I'm guessing they are no match for the vintage variety?

Hi tme110,

They are definitely not the same.  The new Telefunkens are made by JJ.  :green:

Vinnie

Mitch751

« Reply #82 on: 21 Mar 2017, 01:11 am »
I am being offered a pair of Seimens E288CC and Telefunken E189CC, can you use these tubes with my LIO ?

Thank you

Vinnie R.

« Reply #83 on: 21 Mar 2017, 03:38 am »
I am being offered a pair of Seimens E288CC and Telefunken E189CC, can you use these tubes with my LIO ?
Thank you

Hi Mitch751,

No, you cannot use those with LIO Tubestage or AVC/Tubestage modules.

These are the ones you can use:

Accepted Tubes:    6922/E88CC, 6DJ8/ECC88, 7308/E188CC, 7DJ8/PCC88, 6N23, 6H23, 6N11, and 6GM8

Vinnie

Mitch751

« Reply #84 on: 21 Mar 2017, 04:06 am »
Thank you so much for the reply

mirekti

« Reply #85 on: 5 Jun 2017, 02:39 pm »
Hi mirekti,

In the LIO's circuit, you can expect thousands of hours on the tubes (5+ years is not out of the ordinary here!)

Vinnie

Would this be around 2,3 thousands of 8,9 thousands?
I am asking as LIO is being used for TV watching as well, so one can easily hit 10 hours daily.
What will I notice first when the tubes start to deteriorate?

Thanks!!!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #86 on: 7 Jun 2017, 04:22 pm »
Would this be around 2,3 thousands of 8,9 thousands?
I am asking as LIO is being used for TV watching as well, so one can easily hit 10 hours daily.

Hi mirekti,

I don't have a way of knowing for sure, and I do have some customers still using their stock 6922 tubes from their
Red Wine Audio Signature 15 from year 2010, and they still seem to perform like new.

I expect this same type of longevity with the tubes used in LIO's circuitry (with the 6922s, and DHTs).

What will I notice first when the tubes start to deteriorate?

You would probably notice lower output level (reduced gain), noise, and perhaps more drastic signs (pops, intermittent sound, etc.).
Most likely, it would be in one channel, as the chances of both tubes showing this at the same time is unlikely.  So then you can swap
tubes and see if it follows the tube or not.

Again - I don't think you'll hear this for 5 - 10 thousands of hours or more...

Vinnie

sfox7076

« Reply #87 on: 7 Jun 2017, 05:24 pm »
And some DHTs are rated for 40,000 hours.   All depends on the tube. 

Vinnie R.

« Reply #88 on: 7 Jun 2017, 05:26 pm »
And some DHTs are rated for 40,000 hours.   All depends on the tube.

Yes, and that's under the stress of powering speakers.  So in the linestage, they last much longer  :green:

sfox7076

« Reply #89 on: 7 Jun 2017, 09:10 pm »
Well, I think most were initially developed to push out sound as repeaters in telephone use (no, not the 300B, but the 101D for sure).  I find tube design, etc. fascinating and have gone full on down the rabbit hole on some of this stuff.  My wife believes me to be insane...  I am reading a book about pre-1940 tube design in England currently.  Anyway, I have always wondered whether there is truth to the statement that putting less voltage on the plates will provide longer life.  The reason I wonder is because the cathode (heated by the filament or the filament in a DHT) is hot the entire time and releasing electrons.  If the electron cloud is formed, does the electron remain bonded to the atom in the filament or is the bond broken such that it does not rebond to the cathode.  I would assume the latter, not the former.

Regardless, I always think the 7dJ8 will last longer than the 6dj8 if you are running at 6.3v because you are hearing the filament a bit less than its rating.

Shawn