Choose a quiet DVD-Audio or Blu-Ray player

KnyazHM

Choose a quiet DVD-Audio or Blu-Ray player
« on: 2 Jul 2014, 05:30 pm »
I create a DVD-Audio disks from vinyl rips. Want to choose a quiet DVD-Audio or Blu-Ray player.
May be McCormack UDP-1 or Classe CDP502?
Now I use universal player Marantz UD9004.

What other recommendations?
Thanks all
« Last Edit: 6 Jul 2014, 04:56 am by KnyazHM »

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Choose a quiet DVD-Audio player
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2014, 05:46 pm »
The Oppos (103, 105, 105D) are all very good DVD-Audio players, with the 105D giving you a USB DAC too.  And all are decent SACD players and very good BluRay players to add to the investment return.

KnyazHM

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2014, 02:24 am »
Intresting how OPPO compared to Marantz UD9004 sound and read dvd-audio disks noise.
And Marantz UD9004 don't read SACD-R on DVD-R discs.
May be try Primare BD32?
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2014, 11:38 am by KnyazHM »

KnyazHM

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2014, 04:20 am »
What would be better for music McIntosh MVP891 or Primare BD32?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: Choose a quiet DVD-Audio or Blu-Ray player
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2014, 04:44 am »
I'd get an Oppo as well and a good external DAC : thatl'll blow away an over priced Mac or primare DVD player. Better yet : no disk spinner at all - use a computer like a Mac mini or custom server instead. Then you won't have to worry about read disk noises at all.

KnyazHM

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2014, 09:24 pm »
What best player only for DVD-Audio? The main thing - the quiet reading discs. I can listen to at night. May be Classe Audio CDP502?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2014, 05:13 am »
Dont understand the obsession with "quiet reading" DVD  audio players. You realize you could either contain any DVD audio player within something or even place it some place remotely so you don't hear it all, if the operational noise is so offensive. That would be a lot cheaper than paying a premium for a boutique DVD player which very possibly won't be significantly quieter.

KnyazHM

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2014, 03:16 pm »
I meant that my player reads noisy. When I listen to the night you can hear it. Now I use Marantz UD9004 (reads Blu-Ray discs, SACD, DVD-Audio, CD). It is normal for him? It may be a specialized DVD-Audio player is quieter? For example Classe CDP-502 (read only CD and DVD Audio)

rbbert

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2014, 03:59 pm »
My Oppo 105 is extremely quiet once the disc is playing.  There is mechanical noise when the disc is loading and the TOC read, then almost none.  No fan.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2014, 04:06 pm »
I'd get away from spinning discs all together, frankly.  It's clearly where all the noise is.   Just buy a decent inexpensive Oppo for movies (where any minimal spinning disc noise is drowned out by bullets and explosions) and use your computer and a good USB card; rip the discs to files and be done with it.  A good DAC will set you back as little as $200 (iFi micro) and state of the art DACs can be had for $2k (Chord Hugo).

Or...as I recommended earlier (and rbbert confirms) go get an Oppo 105D and have a very quiet disc player along with a decent USB DAC, all in one.

KnyazHM

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2014, 06:18 pm »
Thank you! I should try Oppo 105D. It's read SACD-R iso on a DVD-R blancs?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2014, 06:37 pm »
Thank you! I should try Oppo 105D. It's read SACD-R iso on a DVD-R blancs?

NO, all Oppos dropped SACD-R support with a firmware fix several versions ago.  Just play the ISO via JRiver into the DAC section (i.e no disc).

KnyazHM

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jul 2014, 03:18 pm »
Found some DVD-Audio players who tried?

Classe CDP-502
Meridian 800 V4
Denon DVD-9000
Jolida JD700

KnyazHM

« Reply #13 on: 6 May 2015, 04:10 am »
Maybe there was something else?

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 6 May 2015, 04:42 am »
blue ray players dont come with audio analog outputs
if you can find one with such, you must be lucky
dvd players are really good
some specs i found "dvd Audio DAC - 192kHz⁄16bit"
and the audio they produce is really good
it then all comes down to amplifiers and speakers

cheers :thumb:

windhoek

• Live life like you're gonna die, cos you're gonna!
« Reply #15 on: 6 May 2015, 07:07 am »
I'd get away from spinning discs all together, frankly.  It's clearly where all the noise is.   Just buy a decent inexpensive Oppo for movies (where any minimal spinning disc noise is drowned out by bullets and explosions) and use your computer and a good USB card; rip the discs to files and be done with it.  A good DAC will set you back as little as $200 (iFi micro) and state of the art DACs can be had for $2k (Chord Hugo).

Or...as I recommended earlier (and rbbert confirms) go get an Oppo 105D and have a very quiet disc player along with a decent USB DAC, all in one.

This is the way to go. I use an OPPO 103D for watching films and Netflix and a mac mini as a dedicated media player and am extremely satisfied. Although the mac mini isn't the only computer capable of doing the job, it's small form factor makes it ideal. Apart from the occasional DVD/Blu-ray, the only other discs I spin are LPs :)

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 6 May 2015, 01:19 pm »
I use a 103D in the main system as well just for movies (have one in a back-up system with music attached to a hard drive too).  Have Roku 3 boxes for Netflix or Amazon Prime.  Unless someone comes over, I pretty much never spin a disc.

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 6 May 2015, 02:31 pm »
PS - I have a Marantz DV9600 laying around (many moons ago was in the main system and now it sits in a guest bedroom) which the manual says can do DVD-R discs formated as DVD-V and it is a superb DVD-A player (and plays SACD discs well).

KnyazHM

« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2015, 12:39 pm »
Marantz DV-12S1, DV-12S2 should be better

KnyazHM

« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2015, 09:12 pm »
Who tried Esoteric SA60? What impressions?