Anyone using Peachtree Audio products with Sapphire XL?

TKonrad.NOLA

Looking to purchase an integrated amp.  Can't decide between Primaluna Prologue Two or Peachtree Audio Decco or Nova.  Anyone using either?  opinions?

ltr317

Re: Anyone using Peachtree Audio products with Sapphire XL?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2011, 04:39 am »
These are two different sounding integrateds.  The Primaluna is warmer, but the Nova/Decco has far more digital input source capabilities, and is far more versatile.  I just finished reviewing the iNova and the internal DAC with its 32 bit Sabre chip is outstanding.  The review should be online in a week or two. 

neekomax

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2011, 04:43 am »
I use the original Peachtree Audio Decco in my system. I employ it as a DAC/preamp, so it's sort of the heart of my system. I use an Acurus DIA-100 MkII as my power amp, and I feel this gives me a nice improvement over the Decco's native amp stage.

What I like about the Decco:

- Tube stage 'warms' and smooths out digitally originating signals especially. Not too much, just right.   

- 3 digital and 2 analog inputs allow me to use a CDP, stream from my laptop, and bring in an analog signal from my TV (Blu-ray, cable, etc.) without adding a DAC. Great connectivity solution.

- Can use the Decco's binding posts to connect a sub.

- Remote control! For volume, especially. It's huge.

What I don't like:

-Amp stage doesn't do stereo separation or clarity as well as my Acurus.

-That's about it.

Now, keep in mind, my Decco is a retired, refurbished unit that cost me $600. The Decco 2 and Nova are later, higher end products with better DACs and presumably upgraded amp stages, especially the Nova, which I believe is about $1200.

The Primaluna looks great. If it's not a matter of convenience for you, that may be a great amp for your needs. But you're going to need a DAC (I presume) and you won't have remote control unless your DAC or preamp has one. If you're going integrated, it may be worth it to have everything in one, like the Nova would give for less $$.

Maybe Decco 2 or Nova as preamp with the Primaluna or this (less $$$) http://www.vista-audio.com/products/i34/index.htm as amplifier?

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2011, 04:57 am »
These are two different sounding integrateds.  The Primaluna is warmer, but the Nova/Decco has far more digital input source capabilities, and is far more versatile.  I just finished reviewing the iNova and the internal DAC with its 32 bit Sabre chip is outstanding.  The review should be online in a week or two.

Is the iNova that much of an improvement over the original Nova?  Also, I am aware that a tube integrated would be more warm that the solida state amp with just a tube in the pre-amp stage.  After using a Jolida FX10 for a  brief period of time, I think the tube bug has bitten me hard.  I will probably go with a Peachtree unit.  I love the more bang for the buck of those units.

ltr317

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2011, 06:17 am »

Is the iNova that much of an improvement over the original Nova?  Also, I am aware that a tube integrated would be more warm that the solida state amp with just a tube in the pre-amp stage.  After using a Jolida FX10 for a  brief period of time, I think the tube bug has bitten me hard.  I will probably go with a Peachtree unit.  I love the more bang for the buck of those units.

What do you mean by improvement?  Physically, there are some better parts in the iNova, and its DAC is fitted with the 32 bit Sabre 9016 chip, while the Nova has the Sabre 9006 chip (which I don't  believe is 32 bit).  Also, the iNova has the iPod dock which the Nova doesn't have.  Sonically, the improvement is minor, with the iNova's sound being slightly more refined, with more of a see-through transparency, because of its superior DAC chip.   While the iNova's preamp and amp sections are certainly "bang for the buck" and its features and versatility are impressive, it's the DAC section (when used as a standalone) that is nearly world class.  I tried every feature and function on the iNova during my audition and review, and when I use the iNova's DAC via its line out and connected to my modified Jolida 302 integrated, it was the best CD sound I've ever heard in my system.  I've audition several multi-thousand dollar DACs in the past, and none sounded better than this combo.   I think you will enjoy either the Nova or the Decco for its versatility, especially if you are into computer audio.  If you eventually decide you want a warmer sound, either the Nova or Decco has a pre-out so you can connect a tube amp and just use their preamp and DAC sections.  Like I said, these units are very versatile.