HAL's Amazingly Incredible Nearly Prototype Music Server

THROWBACK

Re: HAL's Amazingly Incredible Nearly Prototype Music Server
« Reply #240 on: 21 Jul 2016, 01:03 pm »
"Updated Avoosl's MS-1 from Windows 7 to Windows 10 OS with the Microsoft free upgrade until 7/29/2016."

Gee. Just like that, huh? I've have been stuck at 99% complete for the last 10 hours. About to start over. Might have to wait a bit, however. My eyes are a bit blurry with tears of frustration. The internet suggests a different approach, so I guess I'll try that.

HAL

« Reply #241 on: 21 Jul 2016, 01:15 pm »
Try this.

When you start over, if it asks do you want to go online for updates.  Tell it No.  This forces it to just use the install file.

If that does not work, you can download the full install ISO file and burn it to a DVD.  Then when you run it inside Windows 7 or 8.1, you can disconnect from the web to force it to just load the original.

I think the problem is MS' servers are totally bogged with folks doing the upgrade to Win 10.  The update process is probably very low priority until 29 July.

If that does not work, I can send a Win 10 DVD I made for the install to try.  Only takes 2 days to CO.

Best,
Rich

WGH

« Reply #242 on: 21 Jul 2016, 02:16 pm »
The latest news is that Microsoft revised the registration options for the Windows 10 Upgrade. Now you can do a clean install using the ISO file and register using your Windows 7 or 8 license on the back of your original CD. This revision lets you do a clean install without first having to do the upgrade over Win 7 or 8. Of course you should always have an backup image file before doing any operating system change.

Wayne

THROWBACK

« Reply #243 on: 21 Jul 2016, 02:21 pm »
Thanks, Rich and Wayne. I'm in the middle of another approach at the moment. If it works, I'll let you know. If it doesn't, you'll find my name in the obituaries.

HAL

« Reply #244 on: 21 Jul 2016, 02:34 pm »
Whenever someone sends a MS-1, 2 or 3 in, I wipe it and start from scratch.  Usually easier than trying to do upgrades. 

I just make sure the user has a backup of his files before I start.  Much cleaner and gets rid of added junk that can get installed, like Anti Virus or Anti Malware.   

Good luck with the upgrade.

THROWBACK

« Reply #245 on: 21 Jul 2016, 06:41 pm »
Whew! It worked. I'm in Windows 10 now.

HAL

« Reply #246 on: 21 Jul 2016, 07:07 pm »
Congratulation!   :D

HAL

« Reply #247 on: 12 Apr 2017, 02:02 am »
The Windows 10 Creators upgrade came out today.  Updating my MS-1 with everything needed to do the install, as it has been awhile since it has been online.

Will see what happens over the next few days.

HAL

« Reply #248 on: 1 Jun 2019, 10:07 pm »
One customers HAL MS-1 would not boot Win10.  Problem is the original SSD is dying. 

Came back and installed a new 120GB SSD and Win 10 64bit OS CU1809 installed and software loaded.   System running and all updates are completed.

Packing it up Monday and back to the owner this week. Hopefully back making music very soon.

HAL

« Reply #249 on: 6 Jun 2019, 01:08 am »
The HAL MS-1 is back with its owner and making music again. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #250 on: 6 Jun 2019, 03:23 am »
I can't believe it's been nearly 8 years since I started this thread!  My MS-1 had gotten a bit buggy, but a close friend that is also an audiophile/computer nerd got it running again.  One day I'll send back to Rich just for a check up.  Still makes music, still sounds great.   :thumb:

HAL

« Reply #251 on: 6 Jun 2019, 12:58 pm »
Yes, I looked at the date code on the repaired chassis and it is 8 years old. 

Glad your MS-1 is back making music as well!  :D