Show Us Your Core-NCore!

secretriches

• Industry Participant
Re: Show Us Your Core-NCore!
« Reply #260 on: 20 Aug 2012, 05:20 pm »
My Mela speakers are 87.5db which are perfect for NCores. Really good match. I also have over 20db gain which is adjustable on my Zodiac when running balanced outputs. I can set the amount of gain from the stepped attenuator pre section but I'm still using factory setting which is just right. I also have Zu Superfly, 16ohm, 101db efficient speakers and the NCores were not a good match. You are correct about that.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #261 on: 20 Aug 2012, 05:37 pm »
I'll disagree as I've heard them on 87dB speakers, my 95dB speakers and 101dB speakers. 

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #262 on: 20 Aug 2012, 05:47 pm »
I'll disagree as I've heard them on 87dB speakers, my 95dB speakers and 101dB speakers.

Perhaps it is a generalization. Maybe other components in the chain (along with recording quality) become more important as speaker efficiency increases. I like the way the Ncores sound in my system with 88 dB speakers.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #263 on: 21 Aug 2012, 03:56 pm »
Fantastic fun seeing images of custom builds. 

I've read a lot of Ncore user posts.  I never concluded any direct cause-effect correlation between Ncore performance and speaker sensitivity.

Conversely, in my single experiment, Ncore performance seemed at least two steps improved into 10.6 Ohm minimum load impedance vs. (otherwise identical) 2.8 Ohm minimum load impedance.  Speaker sensitivity in this case is 88 dB.     

passingthrough

• "An audiophile and his money are soon parted."
« Reply #264 on: 21 Aug 2012, 05:34 pm »
Code: [Select]
Fantastic fun seeing images of custom builds.
+1, some really nice examples.  The rosewood and aluminum case by secretriches is gorgeous.  It's too bad there seem to be no companies selling cases using fine woods like this, that would be a nice alternative to all of the metal cases that are available.

I've designed my case for a stereo build with a viewport lens on the front panel and will post photos once I get the final touches done or may wait until my Ncores arrive.  I see that mkcarnut has done something similar but with wall mounted monoblocks -- looking forward to seeing the final result on those.

Regnad

« Reply #265 on: 21 Aug 2012, 06:29 pm »
Just so the low end of the efficiency scale is represented, the NCores also sound terrific with 81dB mbl speakers.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #266 on: 21 Aug 2012, 06:31 pm »
Just so the low end of the efficiency scale is represented, the NCores also sound terrific with 81dB mbl speakers.
Which model?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #267 on: 21 Aug 2012, 07:17 pm »
Which model?

Wow!  Cool!  Load impedance?   :thumb:

Regnad

« Reply #268 on: 21 Aug 2012, 09:36 pm »
Which model?
Wow!  Cool!  Load impedance?   :thumb:

They're 101e MKIIs stated to be 4 ohms but I have not seen a plot.   As you can imagine, it's amazing to see those little boxes and hearing what they can do.  Also, 19 watts draw!!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #269 on: 21 Aug 2012, 09:38 pm »
They're 101e MKIIs stated to be 4 ohms but I have not seen a plot. 
Test it yourself!
http://www.woofertester.com/wt2product.htm

As you can imagine, it's amazing to see those little boxes and hearing what they can do.  Also, 19 watts draw!!
:thumb:

Fantastic speakers btw

mkcarnut

• Go get yourself some cheap sunglasses
« Reply #270 on: 21 Aug 2012, 11:46 pm »
Progress update:  the aluminum structures for both cases are built, and now I am on to woodwork.

In the photo below, to the right, you see a cardboard "prototype" of what the overall size and plan view will actually be.  On the left, you see a piece of poplar cut to length/width sitting on top of one of the cases.  In the middle is a piece of poplar showing the edge rounded and routed (1/2" rounded cut) as it will be for the faces (This is from me testing to fine-tune my router to the right depth).  FYI, the face is sized such that when the cables are plugged into the bottom, you won't see the connectors - only the wires hanging down.

I need to stop and get some new smooth-cut jigsaw blades and some sandpaper to get the basic rounded edges done well - then I will round corners and router both faces.  And, my smoked glass should be ready this week also.  With that, the faces will be ready to finish.  Then, I'll begin working on the plate that the inputs/outputs go to!

Also, I am quite glad to see others like passingthrough are putting a window/viewport in.  The very title of this thread inspired me to put one in:  "Show us your core"  You betcha...here's the window!

Mark

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #271 on: 21 Aug 2012, 11:47 pm »

Fantastic speakers btw

DI-to! 

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #272 on: 30 Aug 2012, 11:51 pm »
Several owners have commented on how revealing the Ncores are. I just played a DVD-A of Roy Orbison's Black and White Night, and it sounded pretty weak (and I love Roy). In contrast, I now playing a DVD-A of Neil Young's Harvest, and it sounds stellar (and I've always been ambivalent about the sound of his singing voice).

Just another observation for what it's worth...

passingthrough

« Reply #273 on: 11 Sep 2012, 04:01 pm »
My "Fire in the Hole" stereo build.  The viewport is making use of what was meant to be a volume knob cutout and uses a convex lens with a focal length where the LED's are located on the raised/angled NC400.

I didn't cut the rounded sides of aluminum tags too cleanly so I'll probably end up removing those and just put a small tag on the left case edge.

Off:

On:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #274 on: 11 Sep 2012, 04:12 pm »
My "Fire in the Hole" stereo build.  The viewport is making use of what was meant to be a volume knob cutout and uses a convex lens with a focal length where the LED's are located on the raised/angled NC400.

On:

Is that suppose to portray the tube-like sound of the NCore?  :lol:

Sure does look nice tho, congrates on a unique build.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

passingthrough

« Reply #275 on: 11 Sep 2012, 04:18 pm »
Thanks Robin.  It wasn't tube envy, it was me wanting to use this case I found but not knowing what to do with a center volume knob and then deciding to just make that my huge LED "On" indicator.

Because of the lens the LED's are not always so bright unless you are straight on.  Here's a side shot.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #276 on: 11 Sep 2012, 04:26 pm »
Thanks Robin.  It wasn't tube envy, it was me wanting to use this case I found but not knowing what to do with a center volume knob and then deciding to just make that my huge LED "On" indicator.

Because of the lens the LED's are not always so bright unless you are straight on.  Here's a side shot.

It was just a 1st impression which made me chuckle.  :jester: My 2nd thought was that because I own Butler tube hybrid amps and I love the tube's blue glow that blends in with all my other components blue LED's (no red at all),  I would have gone with blue LED's myself. But regardless, I like your idea,,, a lot. Thanks for sharing.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

lowtech

« Reply #277 on: 11 Sep 2012, 04:35 pm »
My "Fire in the Hole" stereo build.

Off:

Awesome build!  You should name it HAL.  :)

passingthrough

« Reply #278 on: 11 Sep 2012, 04:36 pm »
Yeah, I liked the idea of seeming to show a glowing tube too.

Regarding using blue LED's, those aren't my LED's.  It's a row of red LED's that Hypex puts on each of the NC400 units.   I like the old school red rather than blue with my gear so that was a bonus.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #279 on: 11 Sep 2012, 04:58 pm »
Yeah, I liked the idea of seeming to show a glowing tube too.

Regarding using blue LED's, those aren't my LED's.  It's a row of red LED's that Hypex puts on each of the NC400 units.   I like the old school red rather than blue with my gear so that was a bonus.

Mmmmm, knowing that, I'm surprised no one has mentioned that bit of info,, or maybe I just missed it?  :scratch: Definitely good to know, especially for the old school DIY'ers.