Hey gang, thanks for having me.

Tucker99

Hey gang, thanks for having me.
« on: 12 Feb 2016, 09:11 pm »
Hi everyone from Vancouver Canada.

My interests are in 'vintage' audio gear. I like to find the great older pieces which, for the benefit of those of you in large population centres, is not so easy on the West coast of Canada due to the relatively smaller population in, say, the mid-seventies and the number within that population who purchased higher-end stereo gear. That said I have assembled a decent collection of my own (sufficient that I do not need to accumulate any more!).

I do enjoy the refurbishment process when whatever required is within my skill set and otherwise I have a local tech who just loves to work on these great old pieces.

My current main gear included:
Receivers: Pioneer sx1250 (x2); Yamaha cr3020, 2020 and 1020; Marantz 2325 and 2285B and Sansui 9090Db (x2)
Separates: Sansui BA+CA3000 with TU9900; SAE A501, P102, D102, C102, T102, E101
Speakers: Dahlquist DQ10; Infinity Kappa 9, Pioneer HPM100;  Genesis II and 2+; EPI 500 and A500; Marantz Imperial 8; AR3a; Maggie MG2b
For turntables I have Thorens TD125 w SME (x2), TD126 w SME, TD145 and TD160C; Marantz 6320 w SME

I also have a number of lesser Marantz and Pioneer receivers, several more sets of speakers, and maybe four other TTs at the moment.

I have recently discovered that I enjoy and am actually quite good at refinishing old furniture (truth be told its not as hard as it looks once you get the hang of it) and have taken a couple of  1950s era TV consoles, the kind with the pairs of hinged doors on the front that closed up the whole front, rebuilt the insides to house in one case my Sansui separates and in the other for our living room when I use my Marantz 2325 to drive my DQ10s. The latter console, which is quite large as originally it housed both a stereo and TV, has pull out racks for CDs and as a 100% pull-out shelf which holds one of the TD125.

Rather than buying more gear I now try to focus on the more hands-on aspects of this hobby. I have, and with a fair degree of frequency get given, a fair number of other lesser pieces and I try to pass them along to other interested people. This is always a bit of a process for me as I have the attitude that if aesthetically I would not have the piece in my room then I ought not gift it to someone else. (Yes, I know that is not necessarily a legitimate behaviour.) What this means, for example, is that almost all old speakers require cabinet refurbishing of some kind including full on new veneer in some cases and new grill cloth in all cases. Most people don't have stands so those may be required. Receivers and turntables must all work and be expected to work for a while. My practise in not to re-sell things. Not that I never re-sell...I was given a very pristine set of JBL L100t3 that needed new woofer foams but no matter how much I played with them I just plain hated the (to me) shrillness of the beryllium tweeters so after first offering them back to the guy who gifted them to me (his wife would not hear of it!) I did sell those on. Anyhow, there are always students in need of a system (not too long ago a grad student friend of one of my daughters had her apartment robbed so a free replacement system was required) or other deserving and appreciative people popping up (our local church is sponsoring a Syrian family so there is a good cause).   

I was recently given a big old set of box speakers by a friend of my wife who was downsizing from house to apartment (as replacements she purchased some small rubbish speakers without even asking me about them) which, upon inspection contained a pair of the 8.5" x 12" Isophon PH 2132 (oval full range with a centre mounted tweeter) that actually sound pretty sweet. The boxes, though, are massive and ugly and I am thinking that I will rebuild them into an open-baffle. The Isophons should be good for that.

I also grabbed a cheap pair of EPI Time-Energy 320 with, again, large and in this case trashed cabinets and rather than veneer them (they don't get any smaller with veneer on them!) I was wondering about trying those in an open baffle. I am a bit concerned only because I know they were designed for a sealed box so not too sure about trying them in an open baffle.  Anyhow, I will post elsewhere in the forum on these two projects sometime in the future.

Anyhow, a bit of a long ramble but I hope this will help you get to know me a bit.

Cheers

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Hey gang, thanks for having me.
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2016, 09:53 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Tucker99.  :beer:

Nick77

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2016, 10:01 pm »
What up Tuck? Welcome  :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2016, 10:53 pm »
A warm welcome to AudioCircle Mr. Tucker99

Guy 13

TrungT

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2016, 11:17 pm »
 :thumb:
Welcome to AC

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2016, 11:36 pm »
It sounds like you are going to fit in here just fine!

persisting1

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2016, 01:06 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Tucker99.  :beer:

+1

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2016, 01:54 am »
Welcome to AC!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2016, 02:30 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Tucker99  :thumb:

brooklyn

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2016, 05:22 am »

Tucker99

« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2016, 10:04 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am about to begin my first open baffle build and, you guessed it, my first posting in that forum.

I look forward to participating on AudioCircle although I suspect that I will be receiving more than I am giving back, at least for the first while.

thanks again.

Cheers

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2016, 02:21 pm »
Welcome to the fun my West coast friend. 

Tucker99

« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2016, 06:47 am »
Thanks again for the warm welcome!