Please advise for best way to get sub connected to system the best way

Wayner

Because your only talking a few feet of wire. You will not ever know the difference listening.

sunnydaze

Because your only talking a few feet of wire. You will not ever know the difference listening.

Probably true.....

But in the case of jumping from the main speakers, the main's binding posts are also in the signal path to the sub.  Probably can't hear that either, especially if passing very low to sub.

Wayner

To a speaker thats frequency response is something like 25-200hz. I would not loose sleep over it for one second.

sunnydaze

To a speaker thats frequency response is something like 25-200hz. I would not loose sleep over it for one second.

Depending on mains, usually much less than that!

I low pass my floorstanders at 50hz, and my monitors at 80hz.   A single driver main would probably require a higher pass.  But as you say, I'm sure not an issue.

JackD

The distance between the amp and the mains matters the connection between the amps speaker terminals and the subwoofers amp's speaker terminal s does not as you are just connecting the two amps together to feed a signal forward.  I have never daisy chained a subwoofer off of the main speakers terminals as the recommendation from the subwoofer companies is to use the amps terminals.

sunnydaze

The distance between the amp and the mains matters the connection between the amps speaker terminals and the subwoofers amp's speaker terminal s does not as you are just connecting the two amps together to feed a signal forward.  I have never daisy chained a subwoofer off of the main speakers terminals as the recommendation from the subwoofer companies is to use the amps terminals.

Gotcha......

But aren't the two connection methods effectively the same thing?  I mean, it's basically main amp connected to sub amp, with some binding posts thrown into the mix when jumping from speaker posts.  If so, and assuming no sonic detriment to jumping, why would one be favored over the other?

This is what I'm trying to get a handle on.

Wayner

Here is a photo of the back of my Sunfire II power amp, connected (bi-wired) to my Martin Logan speakers, so ignore the bi-wiring part. The REL cable is a 3 wire cable (one wire for common, one wire for the left channel and one wire for the right channel. The 27'-10" long cable has one end stripped and the stripped ends goes into the wire hole of the 5-way binding posts which most amps and subs have. The other end of  my cable has a Neutrik Speakon connector.

Wayner

sunnydaze

Looks familiar Wayner.    I used to own REL subs.   A pair actually,  Storm model.   I now have a pair of Gallo subs.

Wayner

Here is a wiring diagram:

'ner