Super 3 XRS Hempcone to RS5 upgrade

Johnsodi

Super 3 XRS Hempcone to RS5 upgrade
« on: 3 Feb 2016, 11:46 pm »
After having had a discussion with Louis I decided to order RS5 drivers to update Super 3 XRS.

Received my RS5 drivers last night… promptly installed them into the Super 3 XRS’s (which took all of 10 minutes) plugged them into my Peachtree decco 65 and then listened…. 6 hours straight… and another 8 the day after.  Hadn’t done that in years!!!

I had carefully re-positioned my speakers in the exact same spot I had them with the Hempcone drivers (to get true driver impact rather than the position change) and all I can say is WOW!!!

Then I moved them back a little to about 3 feet of my back wall, moved my chair 3 ½ feet from the back wall to get 91” from my seating position (also 91” between my speakers) and WOW again… (Room size(feet): H= 8 / w = 9.98 / L = 14.5 for 1140.3 cubic feet). I guess you can tell I’m a little obsessive with this stuff…  LOL

The image was wider and DEEPER, mid-range slightly more “forward” and  base extension was instantly and dramatically  improved and can only get better with time. These speakers are largely sufficient for this dedicated listening room and hold their own with systems costing much much more. 

For an overall system cost (Peachtree decco65 + Super 3 XRS) of a little over $1500 (US), I consider this upgrade to RS5 most dramatic improvement in many years (and in my case that’s about 45 years since I bought my first amp and speakers).

Now, I’m hoping the USD / CDN exchange rate gets better so I can get Super Alnico Monitors for the living room… !!!

Louis... Thanks  again for your friendly guidance and super quick delivery to audio bliss… much appreciated!!!
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2016, 07:35 pm by Johnsodi »

Ultralight

Re: Super 3 XRS Hempcone to RS5 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2016, 07:28 am »
Agree.  The RS5 is special.

jbryngelson

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2016, 05:43 pm »
Louis is one of the many special people we get to deal with in this fine hobby.  I too purchased the RS5 drivers and put them into a very special speaker with some great results.  Amazing speed, clarity/detail, presence, soundstage and more.  Now I simply need to get my dedicated room built and tuned so I can really dial it all in.

Jeff in Detroit

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2016, 06:48 pm »
Yup, I did the same, the RS5 is excellent!

kbuzz3

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2016, 08:07 pm »
I cant believe i waited a  year or two to drop in the new driver. Wonderful and light years ahead of the prior implementation at a reasonable cost