Complete Hawthorne Audio open baffle speaker experimenters setup for sale

turbotr

For sale- Hawthorne Audio open baffle speaker setup, ideal for experimenting with OB or even just for dedicated listening. They can produce some outstanding, unique sound. OB is of course free from box coloration, which is significant.

These are:
-Hawthorne Audio Duet baffles in black oak finish. Lower unit plate cutout is 15" for Audio bass unit; upper unit plate cutout is 10" for mids/highs
-1 pair Hawthorne Sterling Silver Iris 10" coaxials for mid/highs. I have both the closed rear covers and the dipole open back covers for the coaxial horn tweeters.
-1 pair 15" Augie bass driver.

Plus I have the additional dipole open back rear covers for the coaxial tweeters.

Everything is still in exc condition. 1 owner (me).

New cost (from Hawthorne Audio website Hawthorne Audio - ):
Duet baffles- $1375/pr
Sterling Silver Iris 10" coaxes- $1400/pr
15" Augie bass drivers- $375/pr

That totals $3150(!) if you were to buy this stuff new.

Note that I did not order Hawthorne crossovers; instead I was experimenting/rapid prototyping with a variety of wide band drivers and OB concepts and used a dBX 234xs stereo 2-way/stereo 3-way/mono 4-way pro audio electronic crossover. It works well and is very convenient for experimenting and testing.

Along the way I also made several different cutout plates for various wide band drivers; these are not production quality but useful. I can include at least 3 pair as well, free.

You can of course just install the 10" Sterling Silver Iris, the 15" Augies, add your quality amp channels and set the crossover and just enjoy. Don't have to experiment.

My loss can be your gain. I'll let this whole setup go to the next audio scientist, including the dBX pro audio crossover for just $1295. That's less than half the new price, with everything like new.

Happy OB experimenting!

PS- I have a 4 channel Linn Akurate 4200 amp for sale as well.. In case you also need those quality amp channels.

Thanks,
TurboTR

>>>

From the www:
Sterling Silver Iris OB 10" Coaxial Unit $710.00ea
The STERLING Silver Iris represents our finest offering to date. The design was developed with high performance as the primary objective and is intended to satisfy the most discriminating OB aficionado. You will find this driver package ideal for use as a full range OB specific driver of noteworthy performance. Every effort has been made to ensure stellar performance and minimal compromise. The frequency response, while room specific, does fully cover the range required for nearly all of your musical needs without creating a demand for large baffles or EQ. For even broader frequency response, the Silver Iris Augie would fill in nicely under these Coaxials. We provide with each Sterling coaxial unit the Radian compression tweeter and our purpose built ultra high-end crossover assembly. Featured on our crossovers are an "A list" of boutique grade components including: Mundorf Silver /Oil capacitors, Alpha Core foil inductors, Mills resistors, Solen Perfect Lay inductors, Cardas binding post, umbilical by MAC. Woofer Specifications: • Premium full-range coaxial driver package • Ideal for full-range, near field and monitoring applications in open baffle configuration • Heavy gauge cast basket • Cutout 9 1/8" • Outside Diameter 10 3/8" • 2" voice coil • Power handling: 150 watts RMS • Impedance: 8 Ohms • System Sensitivity: 94.2 dB 1w/1m • Le: 0.78 • Re 7.80 Ohms • Qt: 0.68   Vas: 79.1 liters • Xmax: 2.37mm • Fs: 54.3 Hz • Magnet weight: 38ounces • Frequency range: 54.3 Hz to 21kHz • Crossover network included The 475PB, with a 1.75" diaphragm, represents the refinement of Radian's design efforts in 1" exit-format compression driver technology. Superior sound quality, unparalleled power handling, extended high frequency response, and high reliability make Radian compression drivers the preferred choice of loudspeaker systems manufacturers, consultants, contractors, designers, and engineers around the world. Specifications: *Power handling: 35 watts RMS/70 watts program above 1 kHz/24 dB slope *VCdia: 1.75" *Impedance: 8 ohms *Frequency response: 800-21,000 Hz *SPL: 111 dB 1W/1m *Dimensions: 5.25" diameter x 2.6" depth *Net weight: 6.4 lbs. *Replacement diaphragm available Heat-treated structural alloy aluminum diaphragm domes Mylar® surround enhances the diaphragm's reliability and eliminates fatigue Smooth, low-distortion, linear output devoid of resonant peaks High temperature voice coil formers and advanced adhesives Manufactures spec sheet: Each STERLING Silver Iris OB 10" Coaxial Unit consists of: (1) Silver Iris 10" driver, (1) Radian high frequency driver and (1) premium crossover network. A stereo pair would require (2) STERLING Silver Iris OB 10" Coaxial Units.

10" Flat pack module "Duet" baffles only (each) $687.00
This is the 10" version of the modules speakers. Shipping our finished speakers all over the planet is a challenge because we face many restrictions with regards size and weight. this flat pack design addressed several of these challenges. We do the majority of the construction here in house with the remainder being done by the customer upon receipt. These modules that can be stacked, one upon the next to form Duets. These modules simply bolt together on site and are easily assembled using basic hand tools. Drivers ship separately and are installed into the provided driver mounting plates. These mounting plates then mount to the main baffles with the supplied fasteners. We offer these sized appropriately for use with all of our 10" or 15" drivers. The modules come fully upholstered with a divider plate that is color matched to the top and base plates. NOTE: Please specify if for use with Sterling Silver Iris Coaxials. THESE ARE EMPTY BAFFLES ************************************************** *************************
We also offer flexible payment arrangements on all speaker builds from Hawthorne Audio. You may wish to take advantage of our 50% down payment program. The down payment secures your place in the build queue and the remaining 50% plus shipping is due just prior to shipping. Please feel free to write us at xx for additional details. We look forward to hearing from you!
Model: 10" duet module
Shipping Weight: 70lbs
10 Units in Stock
Manufactured by: Hawthorne Audio

Silver Iris OB 15" Augie $185.00ea
The Silver Iris OB 15" Augie bass augmentation driver is specifically built to provide low frequency reinforcement for the Hawthorne Audio Silver Iris 15" coaxial speaker system. It can however be successfully implemented in a variety of applications including dedicated 2 channel and home theater systems. It mates well with nearly any main speaker and provides articulate bass reinforcement, which increases the realism and impact of nearly any system. The 15" Silver Iris Augie was well reviewed by Dick Olsher of "Enjoy the Music.com" Following is an excerpt taken from his review of the 15" Augie. "It seems to me that many listeners confuse bass weight with bass extension and opt for a subwoofer when bass weight is lacking. The problem typically lies in the upper bass, the octave from 120Hz to 240Hz where much of an orchestra's foundation and acoustic power resides. This is the octave that box woofers have a hard time coping with, basically managing to sound boxy through this range. In contrast, the Augie managed to shine here, elucidating instrumental fundamentals with consummate clarity and 3D realism. The Augie's performance was so open-baffle friendly that I decided to use it as a foundation for several full range drivers. The OB2 finds the Augie mated with the fantastic Feastrex D5nf. Future projects will feature the Lowther DX55 and C55, as well as the new Jordan JXr 6HD module." You may read the full review here. DIY Loudspeaker Project: Feasting on the Feastrex full range driver and Augie woofer. Review By Dick Olsher Specifications: •   15" low frequency augmentation driver •   Ideal for bass augmentation in open baffle and infinite baffle configurations •   Heavy cast basket •   Kevlar Reinforced Paper Cone Body w/mass plug •   Long excursion poly/cotton cloth surround •   Large copper shorting ring on the vented core •   Poly/cotton linear flat spider •   Knurled binding posts •   2.5" voice coil • Power handling: 225 watts RMS. •   Impedance: 8 Ohms •   SPL: 88.7 dB 1w/1m •   Le: 0.81 •   Re: 5.69 Ohms •   Qt: 0.92 •   Vas: 250.3 liters •   Xmax: 7.15 mm •   Fs: 27.0 Hz •   Magnet weight: 67ounces • Cut out 13.875" • OD 15.25"
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2015, 04:13 am by turbotr »

turbotr

To the top. Reduced price.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Sale price?

turbotr

Hello JLM. Well I have it down to just $1295 for the whole shebang. Think that's very, very fair and don't think I can go any lower for all this stuff.

I'd keep it but it's taking space I need. Need my current audio storage room to become a bedroom again ;)

Much progress has been made though. The Akurate 4200 is gone now too.

Next up several items including a Rythmik F12 servo sub in black (like new literally) (I'm keeping one). An Altmann Tera player, #4 unit ever sold. Like new, literally only a few tens of hours use (I'm just not a headphone guy). Maybe an Altmann Attraction DAC too, the full optioned model w/ JISCO. Etc..

T

turbotr

To the top!

turbotr

To the top. Still available.

turbotr

To the top. Still available.

pboser

Hi,
Would you consider selling just the baffles without the drivers?  I have plenty of drivers - too many!  But I'm looking for a setup to switch in and out the "midrange" drivers.
Thanks,
Pete

jetpack

Do you still have these? Are you interested in selling Pete the baffles and me the drivers?
Thanks.