Ok fine- Best in show!!!!

Pez

Ok fine- Best in show!!!!
« on: 13 Oct 2014, 10:23 pm »
My other best of really is what counts, but I do want to share what rooms I loved.  :thumb:

JH audio JH13s
Every year I lust after these. Nothing has changed. They still stand as the best IEMs I have ever heard.

image by -jaspoon187-
Astell & Kern

I think this is where portable audio needs to go. Flawed, uncomfortable, impractical, yet in a few years audiophiles will be rocking these media players loudly and proudly when they become more refined.

image by jaspoon187, on Flickr

The King Room was a bit better than it was last year which is saying quite a bit being this is the second year they made my list.

image by -jaspoon187-

The Audio Kenesis room again was on my top list this year. Really refined sound and excellent imaging and sound stage. Not sure why but I really dug the system last year quite a bit more.

image by -jaspoon187-
Daedalus/modwright.

One of the most consistent performers year after year. This year was no exception. Always great tonality.

image by -jaspoon187-
JTR/Cherry Digital

I have to say I was surprised by how much I liked these. Robust ballsy and delicate when needed. This system caught my attention in a major way.

image by -jaspoon187-
Chapman Audio

Maybe your cup of tea looks-wise, but to me these were the most visually boring speakers I saw at the show, but hoe lee shiiiite did they sound great! Probably the biggest surprise of all the rooms I visited probably because of my prejudice on the way they looked.  :lol:

image by -jaspoon187-
Tweek Geek

really solid performance. I thought they did a great job and those speakers were the most solid cabinets I think I've ever seen.

image by -jaspoon187-

Last year I fell head over heels for the Nimbus with SET sound. This year I 'settled' Joules/allnic. This is still a phenomenal setup. Sounded better than 90% of what I heard at the show... But the Nimbus still haunts my dreams.  :wink:

image by -jaspoon187-
Seaton Audio

Another black boring looking speaker that kicked ass so hard my brain melted.

image by -jaspoon187-
Constellation Audio
Another black boring looking speaker that kicked ass so hard my brain melted. (No that double post was no accident.)  :banana piano:

image by -jaspoon187-

Keep in mind a few things. A. Klaus is one of my favorite people because he's loud, hilarious, loud, and passionate about music. B. Alex, Klaus, Glenn and Shelly are probably the absolute best I have ever seen at setting up a room properly and they are all in one room. C. This is the 3rd year in a row that this system was on the top of the ENTIRE heap.

No concessions were given because of the remarkable price point of sub $7000 for the entire damn setup. Nor were there concessions because I love all these folks. I have told Klaus numerous times in previous years that his system was not up to par and given the amazing setups I've heard recently I'd say that honesty is the best policy (that's not me taking credit for anything btw. :lol: ). When I say this is the best rig I mean it was better than any other room at the show price be damned. I heard several vendors say the same sort of thing. 'How the hell do they get that sound with the speakers setup the way they are?' yep, that's an actual quote from a vendor.

Getting my highest rating on this rather prestigious list one time is a job well done, twice and people really start taking notice, thee times... It's time for everyone else to emulate and really change their game.

iFi stack on the Hifiman HF-560s

iFi has always had some of the best sounding setups at the show. Made my list several times, but this year was something special. The iFi stack combined with a server and Hifiman HF-560s are, far and away, the best headphone rig I have ever heard. I spent the better part of 2 hours throughout the show coming back and listening to just this setup. I walked around can jam and listened to a lot (not everything) and nothing was even close to the beauty and finesse of this system. I think the whole setup cost less than $2000. Best bass I have ever heard from headphones, really comfortable to wear and incredible smoothness. This is the first time I have ever thought 'ok, I NEED to buy these.' when it comes to headphones. Someday..... Someday.

final thoughts
Anyhoo as I said before, the show was without a doubt much smaller in both enthusiasts attendance and vendor attendance. RMAF peaked 2 years ago I believe and will continue to decline due to numerous other shows around the country becoming more and more popular as well as the average age of us two channel guys going up. CanJam on the other hand has literally exploded out of the Marriott convention hall and spilled into the Atrium. It will not only continue to grow in 2 years time I promise you it will surpass the rest of the show. When you see the vendors at can jam selling shoebox sized boxes hand over fist to guys 35 and younger and compare that to the same retired old two channel shlubs with out turned pockets going to the same rooms they were in last year and still not buying anything you start to understand why. Hifi is dead... Long live Hifi!!!!

Hope you enjoyed reading and for the love of Gawd if you think I'm biased, deaf, or on the take please remember 3 things.
1. You're an asshole
2. I am biased
3. Go to any show yourself and come to your own conclusions.
 :thumb:

Part-Time Audiophile

• Bright. Shiny. Mine?
    • Part-Time Audiophile
Re: Ok fine- Best in show!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2014, 11:20 pm »
Nice summary. I'm having a hard time disagreeing.  :thumb:

santacore

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2014, 12:08 am »
Thanks for the all the great effort Pez!

I'm really happy to see Chapman speakers getting some love here. I rolled the dice on this relatively unknown brand and very glad that I did. They are the most balanced and musical speakers that I have had in my house. The aesthetics won't win any prizes, but its the sound that matter to me.

ltr317

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2014, 12:19 am »
Hey Jason - Thanks for the "Best in Show" here and your fine reporting on the other RMAF threads.  I heartily agree with your assessment of iFi-audio after recently completing a massive three-part review of some of their devices.  The value of their stuff is astronomical at near rock bottom prices!  I ended up buying the Micro iDSD DAC and iPhono even though they weren't among the components I reviewed.  Plus, Darren of Avatar and Vincent of iFi are two righteous dudes. 

I have found Vapor, Audio Kinesis, Daedalus and Chapman are always among the best sounding rooms at shows.  Either that, or we got the same biases.   :D

Cheers,
Paul

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2014, 12:27 am »
Thanks for the nice show report, much appreciated.

Regarding the Odyssey room having great sound, well besides the great gear and room treatments, look at how they pull the speakers in the room at least 5 feet. Everyone should be doing the same so that you have half a chance of getting some nice imaging happening. Klaus does not have the rack right in between the speakers as a giant. sound bouncing. reflector killing imaging. He at least has the rack backed off quite a bit. It's a show and I understand it being there but to do it right it should off to the side.

Then he is using those lovely Scan Speak drivers. I recently put in the Scan Speak Revelator woofers and Illuminator tweeters in my truck, driven by Mosconi 4 channel amp driven by a Pioneer DEH-80PRS and wow, do I love those Scan Speaks. Detail, with tone, with liveliness. Makes me want to have the berilium version in my home. Tried looking at Klaus' site but did not see those speakers there, only the stand mounts. Anyway, way to go Odyssey.

Rocket_Ronny

a.wayne

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2014, 01:53 am »
One star for king sound or did the other two fall off ..... :D

ltr317

« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2014, 02:17 am »
One star for king sound or did the other two fall off ..... :D

The other two stars fell off with the bass.   :roll:

mfsoa

« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2014, 02:20 am »
Congrats to Tommy and the Digital Amp Co. Maraschinos in the JRiver/JTR room.

I know he would love to have gone but as a single dad of three school-aged kids (sorry if TMI) and with at least two jobs I'm sure it's close to impossible for him to make it for a weekend at any show, much less in Denver. So thanks to the exhibitor for using his amps.

Maybe more people will take all the great pro reviews more seriously. Its absolutely incongruous what the tiny little red boxes do, and this somewhat odd form factor is maybe a barrier to their acceptance.

At least this room wins the speaker to amp size ratio award  :thumb:

Thanks for the great coverage.

ebag4

« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2014, 02:52 am »
Pez, it sounds like you spent some time at Can-jam, do you get to listen to the geek pulse by chance?  If so, what did you think?

Thanks,
Ed

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2014, 09:07 am »
Thanks Pez.  How's Tyson?

Yeah, if you don't have a descent room (available/size/shape/isolated), don't bother with high-end amp/speakers.  IMO that's why the intelligent, but not well financially endowed (as you state - typical millennialists) should go with headphones.

JackD201

« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2014, 10:35 am »

Hope you enjoyed reading and for the love of Gawd if you think I'm biased, deaf, or on the take please remember 3 things.
1. You're an asshole
2. I am biased
3. Go to any show yourself and come to your own conclusions.
 :thumb:

Yeah Baby!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Pez

« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2014, 03:02 pm »
Hey all,
Tyson is doing a bit better though very sick. He slept almost all day yesterday. Poor guy

Ebag sorry I didn't hear that particular setup.

Everyone- thank you so much for the kudos in the coverage.  :thumb:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2014, 03:35 pm »
The thanks go to you.  I did about a 20 room review 4 years ago, and it was serious work.   What you guys do year  after year is just amazing.

a.wayne

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2014, 04:32 pm »

The other two stars fell off with the bass.   :roll:

:lol:

Meicheng

« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2014, 05:54 pm »
I thought the best was the Raidho D1 speakers on the ground floor.  Relatively small monitors that were just amazing.  of course for $27,000 I would hope so.  But I thought they had the best sound at show. 

ebag4

« Reply #15 on: 14 Oct 2014, 08:50 pm »
Thanks for the reply Pez.  And thank you and Tyson for being the eyes and ears for those of us that cannot make the show, it is greatly appreciated.

Best,
Ed

KLH007

« Reply #16 on: 15 Oct 2014, 05:06 pm »
I agree with you and Pez, the biggest surprise at RMAF was the Chapman T-5s, excitingly dynamic, deep powerful bass, great stage, loud without glare, supporting gear under $ 4K, nothing up my sleeve just a boring looking kickass speaker, nice job!

Thanks for the all the great effort Pez!

I'm really happy to see Chapman speakers getting some love here. I rolled the dice on this relatively unknown brand and very glad that I did. They are the most balanced and musical speakers that I have had in my house. The aesthetics won't win any prizes, but its the sound that matter to me.