Your General RMAF 14 Thoughts?

standub

Re: Your General RMAF 14 Thoughts?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Oct 2014, 01:54 am »
There were far less rooms and people, I think the fact we have quite a few shows now has put a dent in RMAF.  Over all I was much more pleased this year with the quality of sound, it seems like the companies are getting better at setting these shows up.

WGH

« Reply #21 on: 13 Oct 2014, 02:21 am »

WGH - When I walked in to the Salk room they were playing a drum heavy song I didn't recognize, and my initial reaction was "nice deep and controlled bass" so I grabbed the second row middle seat which was still open.  But then the voice entered, and control just fell apart and the combo of the bass and the voice just seemed to turn to mush.  So I think its safe to say that WGH and I are looking for something different in a sound system.

Jim stayed away from that track when I was in the room.

lowtech

« Reply #22 on: 13 Oct 2014, 02:58 am »

a.wayne

« Reply #23 on: 13 Oct 2014, 03:56 am »
Well ........?

PMAT

« Reply #24 on: 13 Oct 2014, 04:22 am »
What's with the Infinitys?

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 13 Oct 2014, 04:44 am »
Well ........?

I was dissapointed with the sound PS Audio was getting.  It really was too bad, because I have a suspicion that the power amp they were debuting is actually going to be very good, and the partnering DS DAC and Aesthetix preamp are no slouches.  I talked to Paul McGowan of PS a bit about the amp: it is a hybrid design with a tube stage for voltage gain a MOSFET output stage, and no global feedback.  The amp is designed by legendary audio engineer Bascom King, and I would like to hear it in a different system context.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2014, 02:33 pm by barrows »

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #26 on: 13 Oct 2014, 04:47 am »
really a shame the PS room was.. I wanted to listen to the new dac (rev in Stereophile a month ago) unfortunately, the speakers produced mud.  They should be relegated to the Hall of Fame Museum circa1980.  No offense intended Paul

George3

« Reply #27 on: 13 Oct 2014, 06:25 am »
Most wholeheartedly concur... My number one priority at RMAF this year was to listen to and audition the PS Audio DSD.  This room was soooo very disappointing and I am at a loss for words.  I walked away dejected, frustrated and so disappointed that nowhere was I to find what this DSD device could do.  A wasted opportunity. 

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #28 on: 13 Oct 2014, 07:44 am »
I actually went back to the show as my youngest son wanted to hear these, and yes it was David demoing them.  Anyway they were the 15's and the 4's.  My impression of the sound was based on the 15's.  I guessing you and Russell probably disagree with me which in a way is kind of the gist of this whole thread.
I'm not so sure we'd disagree, John. One of my favourite speakers was a Tannoy Arden with its 15" cone. I've always liked the sound of larger cones, but there aren't many that can do nice mids - let alone have HF extension sufficient not to need a tweeter, so you had me intrigued. A driver like this is worth knowing about. A crossover-less efficient, large driver could be nirvana, indeed.

Do you know if it was the Alnico or Neodymium version?
On the Commonsense Audio's website this is said of the Alnico:
"In one of our larger cabinets, this is the best sounding speaker we have for sale and maybe the best sounding speaker of all time."
whereas of the Neodymium version this is said:
"Our neodymium models are the most detailed and efficient Audio Nirvana models."
From this it sounds like David Dicks prefers the sound of the Alnico version. The 5 dB extra sensitivity of the Neo version is attractive though.

a.wayne

« Reply #29 on: 13 Oct 2014, 02:46 pm »
I was dissapointed with the sound PS Audio was getting.  It really was too bad, because I have a suspicion that the power amp they were debuting is actually going to be very good, and the partnering DS DAC and Aesthetix preamp are no slouches.  I talked to Paul McGowan of PS a bit about the amp: it is a hybrid design with a tube stage for voltage gain a MOSFET output stage, and no global feedback.  The amp is designed by legendary audio engineer Bascom King, and I would like to hear it in a different system context.

Wow, Audio , one mans Euphoria is another's  Anathema .......

Pauls Post :

"We are quite pleased with our room, the sound, the attendance. Great show and thanks for those that come by to enjoy DirectStream, the new PerfectWave Power Amplifier, the Infinity IRS Betas, Sprout and Sprout Lounge, Ted Smith, Bascom King and Arnie Nudell."

Mud ..?

es347

• Volunteer
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #30 on: 13 Oct 2014, 03:01 pm »
Barrows/Jason,
Thanks.  I heard them at last year's CES (or was it Axpona) and then again at a dear friend's home, and in both cases they had me enthralled (especially set up properly in the home).

Ryan hits another home run; that is great but not a surprise.  :)  I am not a VS fan; dunno, always sound hifi.

Yes, I am at CES and then Axpona will be next (been to the first two Axponas; only 5 hr drive).

By VS I assume you refer to VSA?  If so, you're the first to describe his sound as hifi...wow!

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: 13 Oct 2014, 03:06 pm »

Pauls Post :

"We are quite pleased with our room, the sound, the attendance. Great show and thanks for those that come by to enjoy DirectStream, the new PerfectWave Power Amplifier, the Infinity IRS Betas, Sprout and Sprout Lounge, Ted Smith, Bascom King and Arnie Nudell."

Mud ..?

a.  Have you heard of any independent listening impressions of PS' RMAF (big, not SPROUT) room which were favorable?  I have not seen any so far.

roscoeiii

« Reply #32 on: 13 Oct 2014, 03:15 pm »
I'm not so sure we'd disagree, John. One of my favourite speakers was a Tannoy Arden with its 15" cone. I've always liked the sound of larger cones, but there aren't many that can do nice mids - let alone have HF extension sufficient not to need a tweeter, so you had me intrigued. A driver like this is worth knowing about. A crossover-less efficient, large driver could be nirvana, indeed.

Do you know if it was the Alnico or Neodymium version? Page
On the Commonsense Audio's website this is said of the Alnico:
"In one of our larger cabinets, this is the best sounding speaker we have for sale and maybe the best sounding speaker of all time."
whereas of the Neodymium version this is said:
"Our neodymium models are the most detailed and efficient Audio Nirvana models."
From this it sounds like David Dicks prefers the sound of the Alnico version. The 5 dB extra sensitivity of the Neo version is attractive though.

It was the neo version of the 15. An early speaker of mine was the 12 inch stamped frame which is no longer offered. This seemed so much better in the treble I (and others) thought it must be a coax.
Nope.

JonnyFive

« Reply #33 on: 13 Oct 2014, 03:20 pm »

WGH - When I walked in to the Salk room they were playing a drum heavy song I didn't recognize, and my initial reaction was "nice deep and controlled bass" so I grabbed the second row middle seat which was still open.  But then the voice entered, and control just fell apart and the combo of the bass and the voice just seemed to turn to mush.  So I think its safe to say that WGH and I are looking for something different in a sound system.

Do you know which speaker was playing when this happened?  Jim Salk brought a 2 way and 3 way design, I wouldn't be surprised if heavy drums muddled the vocals on the 2 way, but I'd be a bit surprised if this happened with the 3 way design?

roscoeiii

« Reply #34 on: 13 Oct 2014, 03:20 pm »
By VS I assume you refer to VSA?  If so, you're the first to describe his sound as hifi...wow!

I think VS here = Vapor Sound.

But those VR-55s, they did sound hi-fi. Detail monsters,  with lots of energy. Too bad about the small room for the VSA room. A real shame. That pair needed room to breath.

es347

• Volunteer
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #35 on: 13 Oct 2014, 03:48 pm »
I think VS here = Vapor Sound.

But those VR-55s, they did sound hi-fi. Detail monsters,  with lots of energy. Too bad about the small room for the VSA room. A real shame. That pair needed room to breath.

Got it!  Thanks..

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #36 on: 13 Oct 2014, 03:50 pm »
In my biased view, I really fell for the new VS 55's, the new Endeavor E5's, Polymer Technology's MKS-X, Eggleston and DeVore Fidelity's new O/93. The YG room was also impressive.  The Vapor room demo'd the Joule speaker and these large floorstanders rocked at $17-18k/pr.  I also enjoyed the "on-wall" speaker by simplify audio.  The Spatial room showing the Holgram M1 open-baffle speaker ($4k) paired with the Red Dragon Audio S500 amps($2k) was pretty sweet too!
Expected more from Magico, Wilson-D'agostino and Wilson-VTL, KingSound, German Physiks, Nola...

Most every room had a music server.. I was really surprised by the demand for headphones and expensive earbuds.  I tried a pair of $1400 earbuds and was shocked that they didn't deliver better sound than my $30/pr!  Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc had few CD's for sale at the show. 

And my vote for Best of Show!!!  The LIVE performance by pianist Robert Silverman on Saturday night!   

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #37 on: 13 Oct 2014, 03:54 pm »

Pauls Post :

Mud ..?

No offense, but what is your point?  You do understand that Paul is the founder/CEO of PS Audio.  Are you surprised a mfg would push his own room as sounding great?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: 13 Oct 2014, 04:09 pm »
No offense, but what is your point?  You do understand that Paul is the founder/CEO of PS Audio.  Are you surprised a mfg would push his own room as sounding great?
I know it's early still but you get the post of the day award.   :notworthy:

mick wolfe

« Reply #39 on: 13 Oct 2014, 05:35 pm »
In my biased view, I really fell for the new VS 55's, the new Endeavor E5's, Polymer Technology's MKS-X, Eggleston and DeVore Fidelity's new O/93. The YG room was also impressive.  The Vapor room demo'd the Joule speaker and these large floorstanders rocked at $17-18k/pr.  I also enjoyed the "on-wall" speaker by simplify audio.  The Spatial room showing the Holgram M1 open-baffle speaker ($4k) paired with the Red Dragon Audio S500 amps($2k) was pretty sweet too!
Expected more from Magico, Wilson-D'agostino and Wilson-VTL, KingSound, German Physiks, Nola...

Most every room had a music server.. I was really surprised by the demand for headphones and expensive earbuds.  I tried a pair of $1400 earbuds and was shocked that they didn't deliver better sound than my $30/pr!  Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc had few CD's for sale at the show. 

I have to agree on Spatial. Certainly a contender for "best bang for the buck". Frankly thought the M1 open baffles embarrassed a lot of the overpriced "boxes". Another contender in the "extreme" budget category was the 15' single driver speaker from Common Sense Audio. As Roscoe noted, he thought it was a coax driver and I thought so too. The appeal for me is that both of these can be driven by low powered SET's and up... plus both are realistically affordable.