Porcupine Tree...Great Stuff!

starkiller

Porcupine Tree...Great Stuff!
« on: 1 Oct 2016, 02:43 am »
Just listened to The Sky Moves Sideways by Porcupine Tree.  Had never heard any of their stuff before this disc and now it seems I will be on the hunt for all the stuff as I really like this a lot.  Fans of prog and ambient music should check this out.  Of course I might be late to the game with them but thought I would do a shout out anyway :)

ebag4

Re: Porcupine Tree...Great Stuff!
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2016, 02:47 am »
A friend of mine turned me onto PT's album "In Absentia" a number of years ago, really good. 

Best,
Ed

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2016, 03:31 am »
Yup, you are late to the PT game but better late then never. It's brilliant stuff and Steve Wilson has managed to marry the best prog rock influences (Floyd, Crimson, Yes,Tull, Genesis) to his own unique vision. There hasn't been a PT release that I didn't think was top notch. His solo recordings are interesting as well. If you like PT, the live concert dvd Arriving Somewhere is a must have. My grandkids like Blank Planet, which is kind of ... scary.
Cheers,
KP

doorman

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2016, 02:30 pm »
Steven Wilson is extremely innovative, their music is always intriguing, and with that "Pink Floyd" kinda vibe.
I'd buy most of their stuff again !

sonicxtc

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2016, 03:37 pm »
One of my favorite bands since the glory days of 60s to 80s rock. Porcupine Tree is from the 90s on. Their early work is a amalgam of prog, ambient, rock with, yes a definite hint of Pink Floyd without copying them in any regard. They evolved a lot over the years and their later work has, in general, a harder edge, but there are some great ballads. I don't know if they will ever record as a group again. I was fortunate to see them live.

Steve(n) Wilson's solo work is great, too. He did a phenomenal solo record about 3 years ago which sounds like his own art with a hint of almost every incredible prog rock act from the 70s. he's a brilliant artist and does a lot of remixes of prog, too. But, he's not just a prog rocker at at all. He's very diverse.

Enjoy.

rbbert

« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2016, 04:35 pm »
Since PT's "break-up", SW has made three solo records, a live concert Bluray and a limited edition live CD, all very much in the vein of Porcupine Tree.  He has played several tours now with bands whose musicianship appears to exceed that of PT's, although many listeners do seem to slightly prefer the Porcupine Tree songs.  The good news is that he has been reviving many PT songs now in his "solo" concerts.

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 1 Oct 2016, 04:49 pm »
I've seen Porcupine Tree twice live and Steven Wilson twice.  They are amazing live.  They are one of my top 5 favorite bands of all times.   SW is a genius in my opinion.  Like others said, he has done a lot of albums under PT and 4 albums and an EP solo, while also producing live concert videos which are extremely well done and some of my favorite concert videos. 

He also did a couple of joint albums with an Israeli guy under the moniker Blackfield which is proggy and a bit more ambient like his earlier PT work.  Later PT work got a bit more into the 'metal' side of prog.   

rbbert

« Reply #7 on: 1 Oct 2016, 09:37 pm »
Totally agree.  SW/PT are definitely in my "top 10" all time rock artists.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 28 Oct 2016, 02:16 am »
To date In Absentia is my favorite but I don't have the newest one yet.

FireGuy

« Reply #9 on: 29 Oct 2016, 12:00 pm »
Huge level of concurrence here.  Remarkable band.  From writing, arrangements, production and execution... top notch.

I'll vote Insignificance as their best work.  Whoa!  This album makes my system come alive in every sense. 

rbbert

« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2016, 01:26 pm »
Someone will have to explain the last two posts to me?  I'm not aware of the album Insignificance?  And the last PT studio album came out in 2009 (and it was not one of their best).

FireGuy

« Reply #11 on: 29 Oct 2016, 04:30 pm »
Someone will have to explain the last two posts to me?  I'm not aware of the album Insignificance?  And the last PT studio album came out in 2009 (and it was not one of their best).

Insignificance was a compilation, 1997.  To be fair to all, I'll go ahead and make that distinction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSgRnVJF-ZM

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #12 on: 30 Oct 2016, 12:31 am »
I have all with the exception of the compilations. There isn't one I dislike and I think I've played Signify more than the others.

drphoto

« Reply #13 on: 30 Oct 2016, 03:28 am »
Another PT fan. Lotta love here for SW which I get, but Gavin Harrison, the drummer is maybe one of the best ever. Guy does ridiculously tricky stuff and still makes it groove.

With this band, prog gets heavy, as in hard ass rocking.

One of my favorite tracks is "Arriving Somewhere...."

BobM

« Reply #14 on: 30 Oct 2016, 03:10 pm »
Got most of the PT and solo albums, as well as Blackfield. Seen him in concert every time he came around for the past 10 years, probably. Definitely see his live show if you get the chance. The video production is a big part of the songs, ans you only get that at the show, or some Youtube vid's.

garyalex

« Reply #15 on: 30 Oct 2016, 03:43 pm »
Another PT fan. Lotta love here for SW which I get, but Gavin Harrison, the drummer is maybe one of the best ever. Guy does ridiculously tricky stuff and still makes it groove.

With this band, prog gets heavy, as in hard ass rocking.

One of my favorite tracks is "Arriving Somewhere...."
+1.  Gavin Harrison is one of the best drummers I've ever heard, in any genre.  Porcupine Tree is truly amazing.  Gavin Harrison is one of the reasons why.

rbbert

« Reply #16 on: 30 Oct 2016, 04:05 pm »
Although there are many PT fans who preferred Chris Maitland's drumming.  Gavin's tenure was associated with what seemed to be a harder "edge" to the music.  Whether that was his influence or that he was chosen by SW to join PT because that was SW's musical direction I don't know.

undertowogt1

« Reply #17 on: 30 Oct 2016, 05:07 pm »
Although I started out as a Porcupine Tree fan, I seem to prefer Steven Wilson's solo Albums. They really blow my mind, the last two in particular.

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #18 on: 31 Oct 2016, 07:59 pm »
Another PT/SW fan here.  Count me among those who finds Gavin Harrison's drumming extraordinary.

doorman

« Reply #19 on: 31 Oct 2016, 10:00 pm »
Saw King Crimson in concert last winter, Gavin Harrison was a real eye-opener, among a stellar group of musicians.