Anybody with a PHAT non-SACD PS3 wanna try something techy??

grill

Re: Anybody with a PHAT non-SACD PS3 wanna try something techy??
« Reply #20 on: 26 Oct 2013, 07:27 am »
So unfortunately the tool doesn't work properly on at least two PS3 models (CECHG, CECHM). It's a question if it works at all on any non-SACD consoles. I'll report this problem to the author of the tool, Glevand. Unfortunately I'm not in his inner circle of PS3 hackers so not sure that I'll get a response.

WireNut

« Reply #21 on: 26 Oct 2013, 07:33 am »
I have a MINT PS2, is it any good as a CD transport?

shadowlight

« Reply #22 on: 26 Oct 2013, 09:41 pm »
So unfortunately the tool doesn't work properly on at least two PS3 models (CECHG, CECHM). It's a question if it works at all on any non-SACD consoles. I'll report this problem to the author of the tool, Glevand. Unfortunately I'm not in his inner circle of PS3 hackers so not sure that I'll get a response.

Can you let us know the console's that it seems to work on  :thumb:

doctorcilantro

« Reply #23 on: 27 Oct 2013, 05:41 am »

I'll look for one besides these when I go hunting in the souk.

grill

« Reply #24 on: 27 Oct 2013, 10:41 am »
Can you let us know the console's that it seems to work on  :thumb:

I tried the tool on my SACD capable CECHC (60 GB) PS3 and I could disable and re-enable the SACD recognition & playback of my console. However, it seems this result is not significant for the PS3 models that officially don't support SACD playback. I became aware of this tool from a member of another forum who reported that the tool appropriately worked on his CECHG (40 GB) console. However, it's possible that he didn't check it out thoroughly and he didn't notice those issues which were reported here.

grill

« Reply #25 on: 27 Oct 2013, 08:01 pm »
I was informed by the guy I referred to that the following logic boards of PS3 blu-ray drives were not compatible with SACD:

- BMD-031 of some (probably repaired) CECHM models,

- BMD-011 of some (probably repaired) CECHG models.

For SACD playback these logic boards should be replaced with SACD capable ones like BMD-003, -006 or -021. The new logic board should be remarried with the PS3 mother board using a remarry method like this: http://www.ps3news.com/ps3-hacks-jailbreak/remarrying-ps3-blu-ray-drives-on-3-55-fw-without-downgrading/
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2013, 09:30 pm by grill »

Pkartti

« Reply #26 on: 28 Oct 2013, 10:04 pm »
Hi
I have two of these CECHM models, both I have bought brand new from shop and they have never been in any repair. Is there any way I could check what the logic boards are?

grill

« Reply #27 on: 29 Oct 2013, 06:50 pm »
Hi
I have two of these CECHM models, both I have bought brand new from shop and they have never been in any repair. Is there any way I could check what the logic boards are?

Afaik I'm afraid the only way of checking it out is to take the drive out the console and to remove the bottom cover of the logic board. The BMD-031 logic board looks like this.

Hammer

« Reply #28 on: 24 Nov 2013, 01:41 pm »
Hi, I am reading this with great interest.  One thing I would really like is reliability and I am afraid that given the age of these units that once I have everything working, any one component is the PS3 will die and render the whole thing inoperative. 

I'm not technically inclines, but after reading numerous posts, it appears that the drive we need to read SACD's is BMD-001 due to a special chip on this drive.  Is it possible to remove this drive and attach it to a PC and then this way, we can avoid the FW3.55 issue as well?   I assume the programming part is also easier on an "open" system?  If the drive has a sata or IDE interface, then it should be easy?

Does this make any technical sense?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #29 on: 24 Nov 2013, 03:04 pm »
Hammer,
I'll let Griull and others speak to the drive DIY stuff.  I want to add one point:  the current eligible ripper PS3's (the four older models CECHA, B, C and E) can certainly break down, most often with the YLOD, but a $100 fix then usually creates a machine that is more stable than the one you first bought.  With folks like Jason (northeastohiopcs) I doubt these machines would break to the point of becoming unrepairable door stops.  I could be wrong.

grill

« Reply #30 on: 29 Nov 2013, 08:17 pm »
Hi, I am reading this with great interest.  One thing I would really like is reliability and I am afraid that given the age of these units that once I have everything working, any one component is the PS3 will die and render the whole thing inoperative. 

I'm not technically inclines, but after reading numerous posts, it appears that the drive we need to read SACD's is BMD-001 due to a special chip on this drive.  Is it possible to remove this drive and attach it to a PC and then this way, we can avoid the FW3.55 issue as well?   I assume the programming part is also easier on an "open" system?  If the drive has a sata or IDE interface, then it should be easy?

Does this make any technical sense?

Rumour has it PS3 free sacd-ripping is possible. However, I have no info if it means using a PS3 or a conventional DVD drive on PC. One of the members of another forum belongs to that inner circle of PS3 free sacd-ripping but he and the group members don't (and maybe never will) disclose the method (if it exists at all).

northeastohiopcs

• Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: 29 Jul 2014, 12:55 pm »
I have attempted remarrying the bmd-001 logic board to a cechgo1 and cechk01. Sad to say the system only sees the sacd as a music cd. Tested on a hybrid cd / sacd.The ripper will start but not recognize the sacd either.  At that time I did not try installing linux and running from there. I will attempt that someday. Just hard to find time to play around. Sry. I really wish that had worked.