Amp clipping?

django11

• Canuckistani
Amp clipping?
« on: 20 Oct 2012, 03:33 pm »
I was doing some loud listening this morning.  The sound seems to cut out on very loud parts (such as around minute 2 of Mahler Symphony #2).  Is this clipping?  Could it be caused by something else?  Here is my kit:  JRiver-> Hrt Streamer->diy tube pre amp-> Virtue 2.1-> GR N3s and Sub.  The volume is bypassed on the computer and on the Virtue.

Anything I can do about this?

Thanks in advance.

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
Re: Amp clipping?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2012, 05:01 pm »
I was doing some loud listening this morning.  The sound seems to cut out on very loud parts (such as around minute 2 of Mahler Symphony #2).  Is this clipping?  Could it be caused by something else?  Here is my kit:  JRiver-> Hrt Streamer->diy tube pre amp-> Virtue 2.1-> GR N3s and Sub.  The volume is bypassed on the computer and on the Virtue.

Anything I can do about this?

Thanks in advance.

what power supply do you have?
sometimes when the amp is clipping you wont even notice it until it begins cutting out.
the sound cutting in and out is past the point of clipping.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2012, 05:38 pm »
Thanks for your reply.

Battery.  I tried "clip protection" in JRiver.  No effect.

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2012, 06:34 pm »
Mine clips pretty hard on my Maggie's if I push it too hard. I run it without the knob attached so I can see the light. I had it permanently high passed to take the strain off.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2012, 09:38 pm »
Mine clips pretty hard on my Maggie's if I push it too hard. I run it without the knob attached so I can see the light. I had it permanently high passed to take the strain off.
"permanently high passed"  is above my pay grade.  How is this done and what does it do?

srb

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2012, 10:25 pm »
The Virtue One.2 and Two.2 added an internal high pass jumper to easily limit the main speaker outputs to 80Hz to ease demands on both the amplifier and speakers.  However, on the original One or Two amplifiers, you must desolder the existing capacitors and solder in different value capacitors to implement a high pass filter.  You would choose the value depending on the required high pass frequency, and there are values given in the manual for 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz and 160Hz.
http://www.wihifi.com/virtuemanual/Virtue%20ONE-TWO%20User%20Manual.pdf

Obviously this is something you would only want to do if you are using a subwoofer.

Steve

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2012, 01:31 am »
Thanks Steve.  I do use a sub.  I don't know if this is really relevant but could I use cap selection to help smooth out my sound?  I have been doing room treatments but some stuff still sounds a bit shrill.  I have CDs that I listen to and really enjoy in my car but can't listen to inside because of this...
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2012, 02:44 am by django11 »

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2012, 04:48 am »
"permanently high passed"  is above my pay grade.  How is this done and what does it do?

When the Claritycaps were installed by Jason T, they were so large they could only be used on the 80 hz hipass, and the other caps, full range, removed, which is what I wanted as the amp sounds much better when not forced to play as much bass. It still goes to 50hz or so just not as strongly.

I have my new amps here in a week and then the Virtue will get lighter duty in an easier to drive system. Maggie's were pushing it. I suggest getting something with more power or wait for the new Virtue amps due soon.

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2012, 05:08 pm »
When the Claritycaps were installed by Jason T, they were so large they could only be used on the 80 hz hipass, and the other caps, full range, removed, which is what I wanted as the amp sounds much better when not forced to play as much bass. It still goes to 50hz or so just not as strongly.

I have my new amps here in a week and then the Virtue will get lighter duty in an easier to drive system. Maggie's were pushing it. I suggest getting something with more power or wait for the new Virtue amps due soon.

I can also do Clarity caps as the full range but not both and only in the sensation.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2012, 02:08 am »
Shipping back and forth between the US and Canada would be a real pain.  I'll have a look inside and see if I want to try it myself...

TQdB

« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2012, 02:09 am »
Try a different player (CD, DVD, etc whatever) into the amp and see if the amp exhibits the same behavior at the same relative volume. If this 'fixes' it, then the issue is neither the input nor output sections of the amplifier.

Hopefully this next part makes sense -- Like most things, a player's output voltage is RMS. So when it's coasting along you'll experience its normal rated output and everything's ok. But on dynamic peaks you can hit output moments potentially 300% higher, and if it's turned way up this can saturate the input section of the downstream device. That strictly speaking wouldn't be the downstream device's fault, either. Such a peak is way out of range. The 'fix' there would be to turn down the volume (gain/output level) of the player device and compensate by a higher volume on the amplifier. (Or by not listening as loud, or by having more sensitive speakers).

If it's the output section of the amplifier, you should hear quite a bit of distortion (Clipping) before getting any Cutouts. -- Distortion there would be what's called Clipping (as reproduction of the the waveforms get clipped off at the peaks). Beyond this level of overdrive you might get Cutouts from an amp's output section but the distortion/clipping should give quite a bit of warning before that point.

harley52

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2013, 10:07 pm »
Just kidding now. If you'd bought a Mc you wouldn't have much of a clipping problem. :P